“Best place for Mexican in Jax”
Review of Peppers Mexican - CLOSED

Peppers Mexican
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 12, 2012

A friend originally took us to Peppers. Was not expecting too much after all Campeche Bay was always to place to go for good Mexican in Jax, one location better than the other. We've only been there for lunch everytime we're on that side of town. Quieter atmosphere; when we first walked in I thought that it might be too pricey of a place to come back. To my & my husband's surprise the lunch entrees were moderately priced. So again, not getting my expectations up I only expected a moderate lunch portion of food. Well, not only was the service prompt, food prompt, they even got out special dietary entree correct - a hard thing to come by unless in a very high end restaurant. Other part of pleasant surprise about dietary restricted entree, it was pescatarian along with no dairy of any kind that can be an issue with Mexican Food, was that it was not relagated to a salad or beans & rice with a couple shrimp on top of it. We actually got steamed vegetables & shrimp was cooked to order perfectly. As I recall there may have even been a fish entree, but opted for the shrimp. Steamed vegs in a Mexican Restaurant, we were all pleasantly surprised. The more traditional mexican entrees were equally as good and again surprisingly had quality vegs, not just beans & rice. Did not have salad there yet as too many other preferable choices. So glad our friend suggested it in the first place. You know how that can be when you find a place you like & then bring friends and family and it can end up a disappointing experience. We were there on a weekday, around 1:30 pm after majority of lunch crowd. There were still plenty of people eating lunch in the restaurant with few more coming in. I make a point of saying that because we thanked not only the server but the manager for the dietary restricted entree and would make sure that we'd only come in during "non-busier" times and both assured us that this is not as uncommon as it used to be and not a problem ever for Peppers. Shame there's not one closer to home. P.S. I put $$ under cost per person because I consider $ more of a Moe's or Chipolte place and some entrees were a dollar or 2 more.