“Excellent when we were there!!!”
Review of The Good Food Company - CLOSED

The Good Food Company
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Atlantic and San Pablo
Description: The Good Food Company is passionate about our food, our guests and providing a unique and unparalleled Epicurious Experience. No request is too big, no detail too small!
Jacksonville, Florida
“Excellent when we were there!!!”
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

My wife had a so - so lunch about 10 months ago. The reviews are all over the place. We went with friends at their suggestion and all of us had had a great meal. I had calamari as an appetizer and it met the standards of some of the best I have had in North America. My entrée was Shrimp and grits. While a little different than traditional Shrimp and Grits, it was outstanding. All in our party enjoyed their meals as much as I did. Our waitress was inexperienced but through and polite.
I do want the owners to get some regular coffee pots. A restaurant like this shouldn't be bringing coffee to a table of four one cop at a time since they only had a Kurig.
The price was in the $25 dollar and up for entrées. However the quality and quantity was worth it. I just hope I have the same experience when we go back.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank nole38

Tampa, Florida
“Consistent Quality New Fare”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I ate here about a year ago on a previous visit to Jacksonville. I don't remember the food we ate but I recall specifically it was high quality and savory so I was excited when my friend suggested we return. We sat at the bar where the service was not as solid as one would expect. However, look for the gifts and they will be found. The bartender snagged the wrong salads and brought the beet to me and ham and bean to my friend. We both delighted in the misdeliveries - the beets were accompanied by delicious orange slices and goat cheese. The perfectly cured ham went down well considering I avoid all meet except fish. The "small" plates where hearty sized and quite filling. Next we delighted with the cauliflower head (yes an entire head of cruciferous goodness) that we ladled with a cheese sauce the consistency of thin hummus. By the time dinner arrived bellies were tightening. We made room for the catch of the day. Each of us ordered a different preparation of the maji-maji (fish arrives fresh daily). This was the most fish I have seen on my plate in a long time. My Pontchartrain version rested on top of a perfectly cooked slab of corn bread (crusty on the outside and soft on the inside but never mushy) and the sweet corn sauce rocked. We followed it with a nice blueberry bread pudding that would have been better with a little bigger portion. It was however by no means small. Throughout the evening we received the attention of the owners and the chef. The salad mistakes were removed from our bill and one of the salads we had ordered was delivered nonetheless so we could taste its goodness. We heard the stories of discovering new ways to continue to make the dinning experience at Good Food farm to table. The owners and chef are excited about food, how their guests experience it and they are willing to accommodate when expectations are not initially met. The quality of the food they did deliver was exceptional and I would come back just to chat with the folks who make it happen. At the end of the day, when we learned about how they deliver perfectly cured meats, original sauces and dressings, and fish to the table, I said to myself glad we don't have to do all the leg work no one every sees and that most take for granted. When you visit ask for the chef to visit - you'll see and hear the care that goes into the preparation.

• Visited September 2013
Atlantic Beach, Florida
“Not so "GOOD"....”
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We sat at the bar after work on a week night. Only one other patron. He was ordering off a special bourbon menu we had to get ourselves. Our attempts to engage the bartender went un noticed. We were not told of the happy hour...nor were we told of items they were out off until we ordered them...no oysters, no countty pate (which we were not even told about) I ordered the mezzo and had to ask what was on it and if the pate was missing.. To be honest the cured meat was more like some kind of "jerky" that was run through a mandoline into ribbons. The seared scallops were wet and just average. Even with a groupon or other food deal i would save money.I suggest you drive into Atlantic beach and go to MAZA!

• Visited August 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
“Hand crafted food - One of the Best places in Jax”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Have eaten here a number of times and I am always impressed. Chef Steve takes real pride in his craft and the food quality is top notch before he even transforms it into his culinary masterpieces. Charcuterie is cured in house and steaks aged in house. Prices very reasonable especially considering quality and that most entrees come with sides. The crab dip had loads of real lump crab, and the chef created my own sauce for my perfectly dry aged ribeye to my request and liking. Menu is varied and intriguing for all tastes. Wine prices are very reasonable for a restaurant of this caliber.

• Visited August 2013
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
“Slow start, but good recovery”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went here as I receive discount coupons to certain restaurants through work. And it was a good thing there's a discount because this place is NOT cheap. The first thing we noticed was the decor which is a little strange. The white animal heads in the middle of the place are puzzling, but whatever. What was more strange was the beer cooler next to the restrooms. I mean, is it free beer? I don't think so. But it's a weird place to put the beer cooler.
For our meal we ordered two of their "specialty" martini's. We were not impressed. They tasted good, but seemed to lack the vital ingredient...alcohol. We also decided to go with their "special" appetizer for the night which was a flat bread pizza with Mahi Mahi. When it came out it looked good, but it was cold and a little tough and the Mahi had no flavor. When the waitress came by we remarked that we were not happy with the pizza and she was VERY polite and asked if there was something else we wanted. She left to give us some time to look at the menu and before we knew it, a very menacing looking man was standing at our table who turned out to be the chef. Despite his appearance he was VERY polite and apologized for the appetizer and then offered to make us "something special" on the house. The waitress came back with a short rib appetizer that was fantastic. Crisis averted.
We ordered our main entree's and they were both very, very good. She had the shellfish and I had the ribeye. And to top the night off, our waitress came back and said that the chef wanted to buy us dessert for our inconvenience. We had the blueberry bread pudding which was also very good.
I know that no one wants to have mistakes with their dinner, but no restaurant is perfect and I commend any restaurant that goes above and beyond to try and remedy a mistake or problem and this place definitely did this. Will we go back? Yes, but probably only if there's a Groupon or another discount involved as it is a little more expensive than the food and the decor truly warrant by our standards. I appreciate that they are a small restaurant trying to compete with the enormous competition, however the table we sat at was literally a folding card table with a brown bag sheet covered by a black table cloth. That is not high class. Our favorite restaurant is Roy's at the beach and we never mind paying the price of a Roy's meal because we get the entire experience. While we'll agree the food was good, they are charging near Roy's prices and they need to work on their consistency and their environment. They seem to be "faking" their way to a higher level price tag.

Visited July 2013