“Fun & Entertaining”

The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens
Ranked #3 of 172 things to do in Jacksonville
More attraction details
Owner description: Our mission is to engage and inspire through the arts, gardens and education.The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens, built on the site of the home of Arthur and Ninah Cummer, opened its doors November 10, 1961. From Ninah Cummer's relatively small collection of sixty pieces that launched the museum, The Cummer's permanent collection has grown to over six thousand works of art encompassing eight thousand years of art history.
Reviewed July 2, 2010

An fun & entertaining way to spend a morning or afternoon.

I am hardly an art expert, but I found the collection attractive & varied enough to keep my interest for hours. It had a few works from well known artists like Picasso, Rodin, but most of the artists & their work were new discoveries for me.

There is an interactive area where we spent too much time & had too much fun watching our dancing bodies computer enhanced & projected onto a giant screen.

The convenient indoor cafe provides light fare & beverages.

The gardens along the St. John's river provide a relaxing natural respite from the indoors.

1  Thank jsaul

Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Cummer is an absolute gem, and I would recommend a visit to both locals and tourists alike. The building is riverfront, with gorgeous gardens that take you to another world. There are frequently neat temporary exhibits, but the permanent exhibits are wonderful in and of themselves. There is an area for interactive children's play, as well as a small coffee/lunch spot. I would recommend hitting the Cummer on Tuesday afternoon when it is FREE!

2  Thank lovetotravel284
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I happened to be VERY fortunate to catch the modernism exhibit featuring Georgia O' Keefe and Charles Sheeler to name a few. It was fantastic. It was great to see some masterpieces. They also have a solid collection that is worth checking out. The gardens alone are worth the visit. I got free admission for being a student. (Students are free 1:30 - 4:00, Tuesday-Friday). You can beat that. My only major beef is there is no photography allowed of any of the works. I don't get it, but that's their policy. So be advised.

Reviewed December 20, 2008

The Cummer is an excellent museum with a varied art collection which is worth at least a few hours to see. It backs up to the St. Johns River with wonderful gardens and a lovely setting.

3  Thank Pnemiller
Reviewed April 15, 2006

This terrific museum has something for everyone. First, the actual museum part is impressive, with huge paintings and a good varity of things. It is a nice collection. Our children became restless, so we went outside on the 2 1/2 acres of gardens along the St. Johns river. The gardens, trees, fences, and fountains were beautiful. It was a very nice setting. Lastly, there is a large area inside just for kids with a lot of hands on activites. The kids area is great.

7  Thank Dennis D