“Outstanding!”

Ranked #135 of 2,111 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Indian, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Description: Enjoy delicious Indian cuisine in a warm comfortable atmosphere with an abundance of friendly service and smiles. Lunch Buffet: Tuesday thru Friday from 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM GRAND BUFFET: Saturday AND Sunday from 11:30 AM TO 3:00 PM Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday thru Thursday from 5 pm to 10 PM Friday and Saturday from 5 pm to 10:30 PM *Sorry, we are closed on Mondays*
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Probably some of the best Indian food I've ever had. My co-worker and I both ordered the Maharaja Non-vegetarian platter, which had Chicken Tikka Masala, Lamb Curry, Samosa, and many other things that I don't know by name. The lamb curry was my favorite on the plate, but the spinach and the lentil dish was a close second. Just heaven on earth. The service was perfect and it was a very enjoyable evening. I hope to be back here many times on my next trips.

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Me, my wife plus 3 children visited here on Friday 15th.

It's an impressive building but that's really all that impressed us this night.

I don't believe in writing lengthy reviews for poor performing restaurants so ill summarize our issues.

We ordered the maharaja dish. 1 each for the adults and 1 for the kids to share. It's small sample of many Indian dishes. They list what you get and the price was $17.95 per order.

Service was slow... When we finally got someone's attention we asked about our food:

Onion Chutney? "Oh we forgot to put that on your plate"

Raita? "We don't have any, so we will bring you some Greek Yoghurt"

Choice of desert? "No you get a goolab jamen served with the main course"

Tea or coffee (which is included)? "We don't have any coffee"

Absolutely ridiculous .... When I complained I got a measly 5% discount.

We will not be back, ever. I'd advise you to stay away also. There are much better Indian restaurants in Jacksonville.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

The soles of my shoes stuck to the floor after a few steps inside, and it just got worse. How could the host and waiter walk around on that floor with their shoes making an obvious peeling-off-the-floor sound at every step? I got a "vegetarian vegetable" soup and roti bread (whole wheat). Soup is very very salty, a puree with an obvious legume base (good) but no obvious vegetables. Bread is very good, nicely cooked, true whole wheat. Even for take-out, they gave me 3 little containers of chutneys - the green one, the spicy red relish w/onions , and a sweet gooey purple one (not mango). While I was pleased to get these, they all taste canned. The red relish is gooey with an artificial thickener feel, the purple stuff is sweet and salty and not much else. They also gave me an order of pappadum in my take-out bag. All fo ra very good price.
I kind of feel bad, they tried all the right things but the pre-packaged flavors and textures, and the sticky floor were too much for me. I would not go back.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Jacksonville, FL is a town with many ethnic minorities and a decent range of eclectic cuisine. Indian food in Jacksonville (as a whole is usually boring) with very few quality restaurants from which to choose. India House is not one of the boring or bland places for Indian Food in town; on the contrary this place still has much potential and with some hard work from the Management and staff could do very well in this typical southern town.

Firstly, if you rate ANY restaurant after having sampled just the buffet then your opinion is flawed. In nature a buffet is for folks who want quantity of food rather than individual quality. When ordering at India House one should order from the a la carte menu and specify personal level of spice and preparation.

India House is typically north Indian cuisine rated for it's heavy curry and deep spices. The portions per person are plentiful and the choices are varied with a good quantity available to all guests. I'm Vegetarian so I really like the paneer dishes along with the Malai Kofta and Daal available. The Naan has always been fresh (you can tell which restaurants are using frozen items). Dessert items are always nice and at India House you can get gulab jamun, raas malai and assorted Kulfi flavors along with other seasonal desserts.

All in all this restaurant has some of the best food items in Jacksonville.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Good food, especially weekend lunch buffets. Recently my friend and I visited a lunch buffet, was towards the end when they had about half an hour left to close. Their head "server" or the guy who seats people tells in a cocky way as soon as we enter that we will have to do it quick. We didn't like his way but thought should still give it a try, still half an hour left and we were hungry. Next we go to the food bar to get the buffet and notice their salad (which normally has lots of fresh cut veggies) had just a few left over veggies, so thinking that its towards the end of the buffet they may not have added fresh stuff. I ask the same server guy if we could just have a few tomatoes in there. The guy rudely replies whatever I see in the tray is what I am going to get. Even after his rude response I still ask him if he could check at least in the kitchen for a few extra slices and this made him really pissed off and started talking half way in his native language that there is nothing left and that I should listen to when told once. This got me really upset, couldn't find a manager so just walked out of the door.
They should not hire people like that if they want to run a good business. I am really not sure if these kinds of people have any official hospitality training to be made a head staff but customers come based on behaviors no matter how good food you can make. This needs to be brought under notice to prevent further happenings. There is always a better way of saying everything.