“Pizza burned”
Review of Pele's Wood Fire - CLOSED

Pele's Wood Fire
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: New restaurant just opened in the Riverside/Avondale Historic District of Jacksonville, FL
Carlsbad, California
“Pizza burned”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I visited here for the first time with my son. The service was very slow. We both ordered pizza. Mine was just ok, but my son's pizza was burned on the outside crust. I don't think I would return.

Visited April 2014

Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Good pizza, expensive drinks”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We went to Pele's for an anniversary dinner. When we mentioned that to the server, there was no response, not even "Congrats". We weren't expecting freebies, or anything, but after 31 years, it's pretty special to us. We were glad we got there just before the end of Happy Hour. Even with special prices, my wife's drink was $6, and my draft beer was $4.50 (would have been double during the dinner hour). The pizza we ordered was pretty tasty (sausage, onions, mushrooms). The crust was thin and crispy, if somewhat burnt. The menu warned us about that, saying that the 1000 degree oven cooks very fast. Overall, the food was average, and the drinks were overpriced. We won't be returning any time soon.

• Visited April 2014
Silver Springs, Florida
“Excellent Brunch”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Eclectic menu items. Very good service. Bloody Marys and Memosas were excellent. Neighborhood location recommended by our daughter. We will return.

Visited March 2014
florida
“The Fire is Out”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

On a beautiful Saturday afternoon the mister and I decided to give Pele's a try for the third time...although not as disappointing as the last visit, it still didn't impress.

Many things can be overlooked when you have a great staff and the place has a good energy, however on this visit the best staff member was the hostess and the place lacked any type of good vibe.

They say best happy hour in Riverside, I will give them that. The prices on happy are good, but what we found was lack luster mixed drinks and a bar staff that didn't care much about customer service that is unless you are a "regular" and they know your name. We found those that came to the bar where the bartenders and staff knew their names, got top notch attention and much quicker service.

I'm saddened to see that a place that has a prime location and aspires for greatness has done nothing but fall short. I will take my business to other restaurants around Riverside where maybe being a customer counts for something whether it's my first visit or my 21st visit.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank photochic23
Jacksonville, Florida
“A Mixed Bag”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Pele's Woodfire aspires to greater things. It has the tools, a great location, square footage, a trained staff, good menu,...but it just isn't quite there yet. The menu is a little overpriced. The pizzza oven is well tended and produces a flavorful pie. Overall, Pele's has a bit of a way to go. The beer list is extensive so this may be a better bet for happy hour as opposed to a full dinner.

• Visited March 2013