“the worst customer service ever”

Hands On Children's Museum
Ranked #50 of 167 things to do in Jacksonville
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“the worst customer service ever”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I took a long time before writing this review, because first I was waiting for a resolution, and then I just had better things to do.

I used to bring my children here all the time. It was 5 minutes away and something indoors to do. It was kind of run down, but I would always defend it to friends against the claims of it being filthy. I never found it terribly dirty. My biggest complaint was that the dress-up clothes were in tatters.

Then, I tried to renew my membership for the 4th year in a row. We had enjoyed a family membership, the first year for the parents and kids in our house, and then the next years including the grandparents as well.

I attempted to renew at the same level (grandparents, parents, children). They processed my payment, and then apparently noticed that both of the parents listed on our form were female. They then attempted to charge me $10 extra for being a lesbian family. They humiliated me in front of the kids.

I attempted to get a resolution right then by speaking to management, only to be met with a brick wall - 'management wasn't there' and they wouldn't give me contact info. I left in tears after getting my money back, after informing them that I would be telling all my friends about this.

Well, my friends weren't impressed, and they actually got media coverage of this issue. The museum staff issued bizarre statements, changed their policy to be "fair" by increasing the prices for everyone, and proceeded to insult my family and accuse me lying and stealing from them.

I have literally never experienced such a fiasco of customer service, much less the kind of backwards bigotry that would convince them that it was fair for my family to be charged an extra $10 because we are Mommy and Mama instead of Mommy and Daddy.

We have found a new place to go across the river, and besides not being homophobic and nasty, the new place has the benefit of the staff *actually liking children*, which I never realized was missing from the Hands On Children's Museum until I went somewhere that they engage with, play with, and remember the children that visit and value their experience there.

Visited June 2013
30 Thank Karen L

Jacksonville, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a birthday party for my 8-year-old son. I reserved it for 20 children and adults not knowing that I would have to pay for 20 (@$10.50 per person) whether they arrived or not. I had 15 total but still had to pay for 20, which is over $50!!!! I had to pay $10.50 each for 5 phantom people who never stepped foot into the museum!!! The cost of the pizza, ice-cream, and drinks (diet soda for children!!!) come nowhere near $10.50 per person. Also, part of the $10.50 per person was to have a worker at the museum do all the work for us in the party room. Well, this lady said that she was coughing and too sick to be in the same room as the children so I had to run the party, serve the food, cut the cake, etc. myself! Also, there was no knife with which to cut the cake!! My husband had to use his swiss army knife to cut the cake! When it came time to pay, I asked them if I could just pay for the actual 15 people and they refused and said that I had to pay for 20 because that is what I signed up for. They really are a low-class operation and I would not recommend this venue for birthday parties, which is a shame because the museum itself is so much fun for the kids. It is like the world's greatest playroom. I still am so angry about how poorly I was treated there. I have slept on it for 2 days and still cannot believe how unprofessional it was. I still have a very bad taste in my mouth.

Visited September 2013
19 Thank Marie W
Jacksonville, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun for kids on a hot day”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Hands On Children's Museum is a reasonably priced, family place to enjoy watching your kiddos have a blast. Some things are a little "well loved" and "well played with" but nothing that made me cringe or feel unsafe about, and my kids had a REALLY good time. Would go again. Wish it was closer, actually! :)

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Mrs B
Jacksonville, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't Go on the Weekends!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

When we walked in the place was full and children were running everywhere! These was seriously no control going on. The place is a gigantic warehouse that has little partitions dividing it into sections. It's not like a museum where you move from room to room from start to finish. You basically just let your kids run and hope to keep up with them. Not the cleanest looking place and my son spent most of the time at the toy wooden train tables. We could have done that at home...We probably won't come back.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank 305Anna
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great fun for toddlers”
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Lots of pretend activities. I have an 15 month who loved the mini winn dixie and the motor skill activities. He loved driving the trucks and exploring the area. For $5 it is a great deal.

Visited July 2013