“Very Long Lines at Embarkation - Rude Security Guards” 1 of 5 bubbles

JaxPort Tour
Ranked #10 of 37 Tours in Jacksonville
Clayton, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very Long Lines at Embarkation - Rude Security Guards”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

My family went on a cruise April 2013.

We arrived exactly on time according to Carnival's info., 1:00 pm. Immediately confronted with lines right out the front doors.

The wait for security was about 45 minutes!

Security guards screaming at people using their cell phones while in line, despite the sign saying you cannot use your phone was not visible until 30 minutes of the line moving forward! Crazy!

My son's swiss army knife (wanted a cork screw to open a wine bottle) meets their 4" or shorter knife requirement but is apparently a "professional tool of the trade" because the can opener feature has a flat spot that a "professional" handyman would use as a screw driver! Yup. That is what they said. Carnival Corps. HQ customer service (Yvette) said "if security said it, it must be true then sir!".

Then my wife's bag was searched because of a 3" nail file. Yup. We travel literally all over thew world and never had such poor treatement by airport or port security.

As I complained to the rent-a-cop supervisor about the poor service they were providing, he told me "to shut up" as if I were some sort of criminal. I told him I have every right to complain if he is erroneously searching my bag over such a trivial and common item and is in part the cause of long delays.

Then, after standing in line for about 90 minutes, we performed the 2 minute check-in process since we already had a boarding pass, credit card, passport info entered when we registered online.

Upon completion of the 90 minute wait followed by the 2 minute check-in process, I complained to the only "Carnival" employee I could find that this seemed to be a poor way to run an embarkation process. It is no fun to have 1,000 people in line for 90 minutes to complete a 2 minute check-in. What about a fast-pass for those with boarding passes and check-in already completed.

Her answer...why didn't you arrive at 11am when there were no lines! I showed her my boarding pass and said...because YOU told me to check in between 1pm and 3pm. That is why I am here a 1pm!

So she said the answer is to arrive a few hours early and have lunch on board the ship...despite this is not in any of the info they share with their customers.

As for the 90 minute check-in process...she defended it saying it was normal and not really considered an issue by Carnival.

Oh...then I asked her to walk over to the security office and make sure my wife's bag that they had searched 30 minutes earlier was in fact put back in the pile to go onto the ship. I told her my gut feel was their poor-excuse for a security guard would :"forget" and leave the bag in the security office. She stared at me in disbelief. Then she walked over to the security office and to her surprise, they in fact HAD forgot the bag in the office and it was not in the pile to go on board the ship!!!!!!! Yup! This is Carnival's Jaxport security and employees working together as one efficient team to make sure passengers have a fun experience!

The Carnival employee got the bag for us and told us to just carry it onboard since the security team had "forgot" to put it back in the pile to go on the ship!!!! Yup, that was the solution!

Anywhere I have ever worked before poor service like this would be resolved through disiplinary action or termination. I saw neither...just another day at Jaxport!

Have fun and enjoy your vacation.

Visited April 2013
10 Thank Travel-a-lot-NC

Effingham, IL
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was only my second cruise and my first with Carnival. With the recent problems on some of their other ships and hearing other people's experiences, I was a little concerned about how it would go. I am COMPLETELY happy with my experience. I just returned from the 4-day Bahamas trip to Freeport and Nassau on board Carnival Fascination with three other ladies. We had a great time. JaxPort is an easy cruise terminal to navigate. On site parking is pricey..$15.00/day, but we arrived early and got a great parking spot, so we were able to get ourselves to and from the terminal without assistance. Although the weather on Friday (Freeport) was not ideal, we still enjoyed ourselves on shore. It did rain that afternoon, so we enjoyed ourselves on the Lido deck with festive cocktails and good conversation. There are plenty of activities available onboard...music, games, dance lessons, kid's activities, a great gym, musical productions (both the Motor City and Divas shows were high energy). We didn't take any of the paid shore excursions, but still had a great time off the ship. As far as the food is concerned, we never had a bad meal. The breakfast buffet in the China Grove was very nice. Fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, potatoes, ham, bacon and sausage, with french toast, waffles and pancakes, depending on the day. Out on the Lido deck they had made-to-order omelets. When we ate lunch onboard, we ate on the Lido deck. Asian food, burgers, and a chocolate fountain were all tasty. Two of our group ate dinner in the Imagination dining room all four evenings. Our wait staff, ChrisJay, Muhammad and Raul were fabulous...great personalities and so much fun. And when they saw us in other areas of the ship, they ALWAYS remembered our names. Each evening the wait staff did a musical song or dance for us. The dinner menu had certain items available every night with daily specials as well. Everything we tried was great. Don't miss the Bitter and Blanc dessert...a cross between the best vanilla cupcake you ever ate and a warm chocolate chip cookie...just fabulous. The entire crew was really great. Everyone smiled and said hello every day. Disembarking was easy and quick as our deck was the first to be called and we carried our own luggage off. Although the ship is an older one, it's very nicely maintained with a great crew. Gratuities are automatically charged to your Ship and Sign account, which was actually very nice not to have to worry about at the end of the trip. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip.

Visited April 2013
7 Thank Kelly M
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Trip was ok for the money. We didn't pay much for the last minute trip. The food wasn't anything to write home about, and the ship is very much in need of updates. It was easy to get on and off and the ports were ok, we opted to go on our own vs. paying excursion prices. This was very much a red neck cruise that reminded me why I no longer frequent the local wal mart. Won't do Carnival again, would stick to Disney or Royal Carribean. Rooms were small more than two people and its too small. Felt like they crammed 2200 guests on a 1500 person ship. N

Visited February 2013
9 Thank jptowns2001
Little Elm, Texas
173 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 223 helpful votes
“Easy On Easy Off”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is a smaller cruise terminal than previous ports we sailed out of and that seemed to play as an advantage. The security line and embarkation process were smooth and painless. Disembarkation was equally efficient once cleared to deboard the ship. Save your money for drinks on board and park up the street for about half the price.

Visited December 2012
9 Thank magicandbird
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Fast and Efficient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We are previous cruisers, but, this was the first time we left from the JaxPort terminal in Jacksonville, Florida. It was much smaller than terminals we have been to in the past, but, very efficient and quick! The staff was friendly and the embarkation lines moved quickly. Debarkation was even quicker. We flew through the lines and were quickly on our way home. One thing I noticed was the porters (not hired by Carnival, but, from a private firm) were very helpful and much nicer and accommodating than at larger terminals.

Visited June 2012