“All in all a Good value”

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows
Ranked #79 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Englewood, Florida
“All in all a Good value”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Suburban is a good value for a business or personal stay in relationship to the room cost. The bed was comfortable, the room finish, while not the Ritz was acceptable, the hot water was hot, the kitchen was serviceable, the refrig, microwave and stove worked and the bathroom was clean with modestly nice towels. TV worked, lighting was decent and the table and chairs adequate for a meal for up to two. The non smoking room was a non smoking room. With the air fan on the room was quiet for sleeping, no outside distractions.
There were several long term residents that appeared to be struggling financially but all were well mannered and friendly. Never felt apprehensive about the surroundings
Staff was polite and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Robert M.
Thank you so much for this nice review. We in fact do have many guests here that like to call our place "home: until they are able to get back on their feet. We strive to make our nightly or short term guests comfortable and it is nice to know that we are on the right track with our goals.
All of us here at Suburban appreciate your kind words and we welcome you back anytime you are in town on business. Please give us a call personally and we will make sure to give you the best VIP treatment that we can.

Management & Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Florida
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have stayed all over the world and have seen worse hotels but not many. Front deck assigned me a room that wasn't cleaned and was a smoking room. Reserved a non smoking 2 bed room. Went to front desk and no apology was offered....not I'm sorry, nothing - the only comment was do have to have 2 beds? Took a single bed room...got to the room and it was the size of a closet, dirty, and the bed was broken. Returned to the office and said I wanted a refund. Clerk just looked aggravated and cancel my reservation. Again no attempt to make amends or try to satisfy the customer. Found a new hotel for a few $ more- Microtel. I had another 2 nights booked for Richmond and cancelled because of my experience here. The ownership needs to review their training of staff and housekeeping.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank ComeflywithmeFlorida
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Comeflywithmefl,

I am truly sorry that we were unable to accommodate you during your travels. Please know that the problems with the only room type we had available have been fixed. I am happy that you were able to find other arrangements and the desk clerk has been spoken to about the proper way to handle such a situation. I am disappointed that you cancelled your other reservations (I'm guessing it was a Suburban) as not all Suburban's are the same and you should really give it a try first.
Again, I do apologize and I hope that you have enjoyed your travels.
Ohio
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I was a bit reluctant to stay here after reading the mixed reviews but I decided to give it a chance since the manager has responded to each concern that has been raised within TripAdvisor. I am happy to say that I experienced none of the problems that have been mentioned and I ended up staying a full week because I was satisfied with the accommodations. There were a few annoyances so that is why I'm giving it an "average" as compared to a "very good" rating. For the low cost, though, I thought it was a good value.

Good things:
Plenty of storage space; huge amounts of refrigerator and freezer space; microwave plus regular stove; plates, silverware and utensils supplied. Internet was reliable and speed was good. Nice hot water and plenty of it. All appliances and A/C worked fine.

Annoyances:
No dish soap, dish towels or sponge for washing dishes; no paper towels; no Kleenexes; no memo pad or pencil. Only 1 bar of soap, but it was a generous size. Tiny bathroom sink.

I had absolutely no fears about my safety or the quality of the other people staying in the hotel. There were relatively young people staying at the hotel but they all appeared to either be vacationing or have jobs so I was never concerned about any illicit business being done.

Cleanliness of my room was adequate but not stellar. There were no bugs of any sort (which is actually pretty impressive for a Florida hotel room).

As advertised, housekeeping is only performed once per week so it never occurred during my stay. Even though that is what was advertised, I figured they'd pick up the trash or maybe check the linens through the week but they didn't. I actually kind of appreciated the hands-off approach -- sometimes I get a bit tired of the maid moving/organizing my stuff every day at a regular hotel.

The office/lobby was remodelled during my stay and it looks nice. The contractors were quiet and friendly. Obviously the management is investing money in the site.

I will certainly stay there again if I'm in the JAX area because it was a good value and I liked its proximity to downtown JAX (15 min) and St. Augustine (35 min).

Room Tip: The smallest rooms are very small (only suitable for a single person, in my opinion).
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear TravelingMan446,

I can not thank you enough for your honest opinion. While we are not a luxury hotel, we are an extended stay and we cater to the extended stay guest. It takes a lot of time to turn a place around and we are trying very hard to do that and make our place a comfortable and friendly one. Most of our guests are in transient or they are workers, in town for a short amount of time to do a job. We are not designed to cater to nightly business, though we welcome nightly business as well.
If you are ever in Jacksonville again, I would really like for you to contact me personally for a reservation or if you choose to book online, please let me know so that I can assure all of your requests are met and that your stay is even better the second time around.
Again, I Thank You so much. Be safe in your travels.

Shelley
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We checked in on Sunday May 27th and everything was okay until we got to the hotel and they didnt have any change for my bill then we had to do running around to get change. The room was okay but I have stayed at better Suburban Extended Stays and the bed was very uncomfortable. I do no think that me and my husband will stay at this locataion again. Because of the bed being uncomfortable we tossed and turned all night and being that I am pregnant it was very bad. The staff was friendly though that is one thing that I really liked. If you choose to stay here just make sure you have checked other options first.

Room Tip: Normally the extended stay is a great place to stay but not this one.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. As much as I know you say that you will not stay with us again, mainly due to the beds, I would like to mention that we are getting brand new beds in next month. If for some reason you choose to travel back to Jacksonville and are unable to find another place to stay at a reasonable rate, I hope that you will consider giving us one more chance. I'm sure you will find that the second time around will be a comfortable one.
If you do not, I want to thank you for giving us a try the first time and thank you for your kind words about the staff, that is my number one focus.

Thanks again
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

We checked in Friday evening, and the boy st the desk was friendly, but stunk to high heaven, causing the very close quarters of the front desk to also stink. We went to our room, and passed a few hookers and drug dealers in the very short walk. The room was BEYOND disgusting. Someone had vomited all over the chair and sink and it was left there to crust over. No blanket. Just dirty, dirty, dirty. My boyfriend went 2 days later to ask for towels, because the two dryer sheet size towels were not dry from Friday and Saturday's shower, and the boy handed him 2 towels and said "they're not clean, but you can have them!" Drug deals going on left and right, right outside our door, and I do believe there was something of a meth lab in the room next door!! 3 young men bustling in CVS bags with the do not disturb sign on the door, and emerged later, with their eyes bugging out of their heads, on something. Unbelievably dirty, scary, and unsafe. And, hey Shelley, instead of wasting your time typing defenses about all these reviews, DO something about it! Although, in my opinion, at this point you're better off just bulldozing the place to the ground!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Nessalynn2514
I would like to thank you for your review and your honesty. Your concerns, along with others, have not and will not go unnoticed or ignored. This is why I respond to reviews. The only way that I can possibly know what guests think or feel is to review what they had to say. I respond to let you know that I do care. Sometimes it takes time to turn things around and we do try to do that. I would like to note that we have many, long term satisfied guests that are staying with us. I was able to locate the room that you stayed in so that we can address the issues you had with the cleanliness and condition and that has been corrected.

Thank you again for your review.
Hansville, Washington
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I get to JAX every 6 months and have been staying here now for 2 years. I've always felt it was an excellent value, recognizing that for the low price you don't get little mints on your pillow every night. I personally prefer the "extended stay" housekeeping rules -- basically ,it's your room and the staff won't bother you if you don't bother them. But when I did bother them -- once, in two years -- they responded quickly and to my satisfaction. Last week I thought the place was noticeably better -- in overall appearance, quality of the room, and friendliness of staff -- than in the past. I look forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: I always ask for a nonsmoking room, and they've been fine. One time I thought it didn't smel...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
I would like to Thank You so much for your kind review. We have been trying to improve our property and it means a lot when a repeat guest recognizes that. While we are a low budget, extended stay, we do still maintain good values and customer service. I look forward to your return trip to Jacksonville and I hope that you contact me directly for your reservations.

Shelley Castilho
Mapleton, Maine
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I've stayed in dirtier hotels, I've had worse experiences, but I don't think I ever had a scare that I experienced at this extended stay. I believe I paid about $300 for a week at this hotel. We arrived at our room and noticed that musty, gross smell that a lot of poorly run extended stay hotels have. This hotel was close to a lot of awesome shops and restaurants, but that was it. The internet did NOT work, management could not care any less. After I plugged back in the television (most electronics were unplugged, no idea why) I ended up sitting on the sofa and felt a stab on my butt...Go figure, I ended up sitting on a drug addicts used syringe that the maid must have "overlooked". In the easiest way to put it, I feared for my future, one stab of a needle and you get hit with something you'll never get rid of. I documented the entire incident in case I would ever need to bring up legal action with the management here. As for the rest of the stay, the maids came to clean up twice over the entire week, which i didn't mind, after speaking to another guest who had the police at his room the night before, I found out that one of the maids were better at "scavenging" than cleaning, to say the least. Prostitution was pretty big at this hotel, probably because it was one of the cheapest in the area and the management didn't care what the residents did as long as they were paid. Needless to say I told management that if I ended up contracting anything that they would hear from my lawyer...Ended up getting blood work done a month later for the deadly stuff and it all came back negative (and still is to this day), thank god. After this experience I will never, ever stay with an extended stay hotel again, and published a full review on the BBB about this property. Hopefully someone on top of the chain of command will do something about this poor excuse of a motel/brothel.

Room Tip: Times are hard, and money is really tough to come by. The extended stay is one of the cheapest hotel...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Yendi
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Please let me first apologize for the scary experience that you had and I am happy to hear that everything is OK with you and your health. I would also like to mention that neither me nor my Assistant knew of this until now. We do care very much about this property and what happens. I sincerely wish that you had said something back in May when you stayed with us so that we could have rectified the situation and made your stay better. It is never our intent for a guest to have a bad stay and I would also like to defend our housekeeping staff. They have been with us for over five years and we have never had a problem with them scavenging. I sincerely feel that I need to defend most of what you said to include the internet which we have also never had a problem with. If you could please contact me so that I can get more information from you about what room you stayed in, I can get more to the bottom of your concerns. My number and email address can be found on your receipt. Again, I sincerely apologize for your experience and I want nothing more than to make things better. With your help, I may be able to accomplish this.