“At Marker 32, the Dude Abides”
Review of Marker 32

Marker 32
Reserve with OpenTable
Marker 32 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 2,151 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: San Pablo
Transit: There is a JTA bus stop only yards from the entry driveway to the restaurant.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Not Perfect but about as close as you'll find. As Senor Fresco says, this restaurant is known as "the closer" because every opportunity he's ever brought here worked out as planned.

Out-STANDING apps. The sweet potato cannolli was sublime; the fried green tomatoes, dynamite. And the warm spinach salad is classic. Heck you can make dinner out of apps and salad.

Six of us for dinner tonight, and everyone else enjoyed their entrees. The ribeye was particularly inviting, although I was encouraged to try the pompano fish, which tasted like. Fish. A thin pan-fried fish filet with a scoop of rice and some diced vegetable next to it. Um. Suffice it to say, my dinner was a great warm spinach salad and fried green tomatoes appetizer. The pompano should be set free ! Like Free Willy! - and not served as a signature dish.

Just sayin'. Still, one bummer dinner in 7 years dining at this restaurant, that ain't bad.

But man, it's 9:30, and I'm hungry. Nuts.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The star of the restaurant is the fresh seafood and the view of the intercoastal from marina that it sits in. We had a fresh seared hog snapper with hoppin' john and greens. Excellent. They have a couple types of fresh fish and usually have fresh shellfish on the menu too. They also have excellent fried seafood, pork chops and steaks. It is a nice wine list, not large, but good quality. The bar is usually lively and the place is almost always packed with locals.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Have been to Jacksonville twice and eaten here both times. Made a special effort to come back the second time... Fish is fresh, fresh, fresh and imaginatively prepared. (Pompano is to die for.)Service is attentive and informative. Gave great suggestions and knew (excellent) wine list well. Expensive, but absolutely worth it. Everything we have eaten here has been top-notch. Anytime we are in J-ville, we have to eat here. It's a bit off the beaten path (and away from downtown), but so, so worth the drive. (About an easy 20 minute drive from downtown hotels.) You won't regret eating here.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I've been wanting to visit Marker 32 for the past six years – ever since I saw the sign on Beach Boulevard. I always look for restaurants attached to marinas because I have learned that they are either very good or very, very bad. I'm happy to report that my visit to Marker 32 was not only "very good," it was outstanding.

I did not look for or see any reviews on TripAdvisor for this restaurant before going (I usually don't, wanting to not be biased in any way). My wife and I happened to be in Jacksonville at the right time (8:00 on a Tuesday night) and thought we'd get some dinner before driving back to St. Augustine. I thought I remembered seeing a restaurant sign by a marina on Beach Boulevard near the bridge over the San Pablo River, and we finally located at. It is a rather unpretentious building, with the restaurant on the second floor. There is an elevator providing access to differently-abled people.

Being a Tuesday night at 8:00, we were promptly seated at a window table overlooking Palm Cove. One look at the menu told us that we had landed in an upscale seafood restaurant (which I found out later was ranked #7 of all Jacksonville restaurants).

Our server was both efficient and well-informed about the menu. He discussed specials, and was eager to thoroughly explain each dish. When my wife asked if there were any soups available (there were none on the menu), he described two options that could be freshly prepared.

For appetizers my wife ordered a sweet potato/Tasso ham bisque, and I (as usual) ordered the fried calamari. Her soup was delicious – not overly sweet, thick, and just enough ham flavor to remind me of growing up in Virginia. My calamari was served in a honey chipotle vinaigrette with smoked peanuts, was not "chewy" at all, and is perhaps the best fried calamari I have ever had.

With such an excellent appetizer experience, we looked forward to the entrées. My wife chose the herb grilled local fish of the day, which happened to be Cobia. It was served over a bed of Hoppin' John with basil pesto rice. I had sautéed Florida Pompano, which was served in a brown butter and sage sauce, with pine nuts, jasmine rice, and fresh vegetables. Both plates of food arrived fresh and hot, as if the chef had just plated them.

Since our dining experience had been so good to that point, we decided to try the deserts. My wife chose the ricotta-filled zeppoli with Limóncello ice cream in a blueberry port reduction. I opted for the chocolate truffle torte. While my torte was out of this world (dark chocolate, smooth, and absolutely delicious), my wife had made the better choice. Her dessert was a stunning combination of flavors which worked perfectly, and I almost regret having ordered the chocolate truffle torte.

We've had meals in many "high-end" restaurants during the past 30 years, but I have to say that this was one of the best dining experiences we've ever had. It was one of those occasions that was spur of the moment, and I honestly cannot find one single thing Marker 32 did poorly. And I looked! Even the prices were within reason – appetizers ranging from $8 to $12, and entrées between $19 and $29. This is not at all "high" for this market or quality of food. We got out of there for $80 + tip.

When I got home I checked trip advisor, and found out why our experience was so good – other reviews on TripAdvisor mirrored our opinion. We are not often in Jacksonville at dinner time, but I can assure you that when we are, Marker 32 will certainly be our first choice. Don't go there expecting a "heapin' pile o' fried seafood" -- what you'll find is unique pairings of flavors and textures guaranteed to delight the palate. It's good to be in on one of Jacksonville's best-kept dining secrets.

1  Thank Florida_advice
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a very relaxing evening at Marker 32. The seafood is very fresh and well prepared. Great sauces, and also offered a 1/2 salad, great idea. Located beside a marina, the atmosphere was casual, but the food was top shelf. Service was spot on.

Been to Marker 32? Share your experiences!