“Solid but noisy” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Virginia, USA
“Solid but noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Great reception, typical cool aloft design, yet very noisy for the top (5th) floor. Suggest asking for a room that overlooks the shopping plaza. I love the Aloft modern rooms. My first experience was at a brand new franchise and I wondered how it would age. I’m starting to know given some signs I’ve seen here. Shower door issues, sunken bed in the middle, other bathroom aging issues. Still a wonderfully solid hotel that I’d recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I had never stayed in one. Excellent layout for a smallish room-so you don't realize it's small. Great bed and shower. No breakfast, though. Lots of restaurants in the are though. Big meeting area next to the pool makes for an interesting venue for a group

Room Tip: Try to get on the 1st floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Germantown, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

The hotel room was really small and provided just the basics. There was no furniture with drawers to put clothing into. Also, the tv was on the wall and a bench (for sitting) was was below the tv--if you sat on the bench, you couldn't see the tv. The water smelled like rotten eggs. So we were afraid to brush our teeth with it. We used the two complimentary bottles of water to brush our teeth. There was a refrigerator under the bathroom sink. Its location made me wary of using it. The light switches took a bit of time to figure out. People slammed doors, yelled, and ran up and down the hallway through the night.

The best things about the hotel were the comfortable bed and universal device charger.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 658JanetS
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I travel every week and seldom see the need to write a review. Our usual place was booked, so we tried the ALoft. Reception was prompt and the lobby was interesting and clean. There was a sunken lounge, a full service bar and a pool table.
The rooms were very practical and updated. I liked the black out shades, the two desk and big screen centered between the windows.
I went for and like the option to skip cleaning for extra points. Save the environment and stay out of my room.
We are definatly returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was home visiting for Thanksgiving and had an opportunity to stay here. I picked it based on the location; close enough to the town center w/o having to pay the price to stay at the Embassy suites @ Town Center, which is a little rundown in my opinion. Don't be shocked by the price of rooms being so inexpensive, the property is very nice and clean.

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was my first time staying in an Aloft property. It looks great in photos and has a decent bar in the lobby, but all in all it's trying really hard to be hip and trendy without putting the quality in. The staff was very nice and helpful, but seemed stretched thin. The room was interesting, but lacking in real quality. The hotel looks like it's fairly new, but I think in a few years the place won't hold up well. I guess they have to keep the price down somehow.

I got a great night's sleep except the night where there was a barking dog across the hall. I'm all for being pet friendly (I'm an Inner Circle member at Kimpton hotels and have a dog myself), but I've never heard so much barking at a Kimpton. Not sure if it's the hotel's fault or the guest's, but I found out later that they usually put pets on a specific floor and I just had the one who was placed in the wrong room.

Room Tip: Just make sure you're not on the pet floor if you're not traveling with a pet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jonathan H
North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I've stayed at the Aloft numerous times and was pleased with the quality of the hotel. We've experienced the issue with the sink smelling of sewage, but I never chose to write about that issue. Which, could possiby be a public health issue...but I digress. The rooms are a bit small and other guests in the hallway were boisterous at 2 am, but that was not really an issue for my husband and I as we are pretty easy going. This past weekend my husband and I stayed at the hotel and to my surprise we were charged $125 for smoking! Neither of us smoke so this came to a surprise to me. We do burn incense quite a bit, however, so I am assuming this is the cause. After speaking with a representative, I was informed that the General Manager posted the charge and will only post the chage if there is proof (i.e. pictures) of damage to the room. I asked to see the pictures, and was told that this information is never shared. My loss, I guess. So, I'm taking to the internet to share my disgust with this hotel.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Superman7712
Scott W, General Manager at Aloft Jacksonville Tapestry Park, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your honest feedback. Aloft is a non-smoking brand and, while burning incense isn't always considered smoking, the smoke and odor remaining was so overwhelming that this room was placed out of order, after the next guest complained. The fee was only charged after the next guest was impacted and we had to begin remedy efforts to remove the odor.