“visit to 13 gypsies”

Dining options: Reservations
Flower Mound, Texas
“visit to 13 gypsies”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had to try this place after seeing it on Diners, DriveIns and Dives. I got there when the place opened and found seating in this tiny restaurant right away. The house wine was good, their wine selection is definitely different. I had the chorizo with pears, which was tasty. Next I had the roman gnocchi which was ok, but only had 1 1/2 mushroom slices on top with a small amount of sauce. Well, I was full but the waitress talked me into dessert to go. The special that night was a tres leches cake that was so dense and had absolutely no flavor that I had to throw it out. Service was good.

• Visited May 2013

Meriden, NH
“A little place with a big attitude”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The tapas style of 13 Gypsies would be fun for a great group shared meal, the downside is that it is so tiny, and I do mean tiny (maybe 4 tables inside, some of which hold 3 or less), it is hard to have a group there. That is part of the shtick. I personally love intimate little restaurants, but in this case that has gone a bit overboard. It is impossible to have a conversation without the staff and every restaurant patron overhearing it.
The staff is quite strong minded about reservations, which can be a pain to get at the time you want to eat unless there is much preplanning and forget about adding someone at the last minute.
There is also a bit of a stance that the customer is not always right. It is a bit like being in a strongminded, somewhat grumpy, but talented cook's kitchen. If you like that sort of thing, it is perfect.
That being said, if I was less of a "last minute" type, I might probably eat there more often.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Dinnaah
Jacksonville, Florida
“Excellent as usual!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Every time I sit down in this restaurant I am overcome with joy! Because the food is delicious! This the place to go for Tapas in Jacksonville.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Harmanelly23
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good place, neat atmosphere”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ate at 13 Gypsies on a recent trip to Jacksonville. The restaurant is in a neat section of Jacksonville, with a bike shop and bakery nearby. The parking would be tricky if there were more people in the area. We were able to find a spot just off the corner of the restaurant. The places is small inside, so go at an odd time or be prepared to wait. But the food was delicious. My wife had the Cordoba salad which she thoroughly enjoyed and I had the Roman Gnochi and Empanadas of the day. The Gnochi was three small squares in a mushroom sauce with Parmesan cheese. The empanada was chorizo with pepper jack cheese. Both were excellent. I am attaching a picture of all the dishes for reference. The only reason this place did not get five stars was the price. For the portions of food, I did not feel I got the same value as other places. The Roman Gnochi was $10 and the empanada was $4. This is a great place to take friends and split several dishes. I would like to go again to try some new dishes.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank ahmonroe5
Orlando, Florida
“What True Food Lovers Appreciate”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I'm not sure 13 Gypsies is a secret anymore. It has been on Diners, Drive Inn’s and Dives repeats of the repeats. Word is out and it should be. If you want fancy, high end, giant portions then head somewhere else because you are in the wrong place. There is nothing romantic about the inside of this tiny place. Look at the name of the show it was featured on. The true highlight is the chef and the food. Plain and simple. Each dish has something uniquely wonderful. Everything is prepared to order in a tiny kitchen. The risotto is to die for and so are a number of the other items including the cheese, the street pork kabobs and just about everything else. Do yourself a favor and order one of everything. This is one of the gems of Jacksonville. But if you are into great food and appreciate a true chef’s talent, this is the place.

• Visited April 2013