“Authentic Mexican”

Description: 904-636-8131
St. Augustine, Florida
“Authentic Mexican”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have enjoyed eating at Pepe's on several occasions, from dinner with friends, to take out lunches. I recommend "Taco's Pepe" on corn tortillas, which are the regular taco with the addition of a big slice of avocado and Mexican cheeses. Did I mention plenty of cilantro?
You know you are in the right place when you look around at dinner and most of your fellow diners are Mexican. The prices are very reasonable, and the service has always been prompt and courteous. I highly recommend it, and will drive out of my way to eat there.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank neFL_resident

NE Florida
“Good Food, Great Prices”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have eaten at Pepe's 4 or 5 times and every time the food has been great. No complaints. Service, not bad, but they do make everything fresh, no re-heating. The shop has everything Latin that you might want from Pinas to pinatas.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank acharya27
Jacksonville, Florida
“Best authentic Mexican in Jax”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This place is really something else. They sell everything from piñatas, cowboy boots, tripe, tamales, and chocolate sauce. They really are the package deal. It's basically a full Mexican grocery store, fresh meat counter included. On the other side of the grocery, they have a restaurant. Best. Mexican. Food. Ever. This isn't Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, or Mexican American...this is the real deal (double wrapped corn tortilla, cilantro/onion, lime wedge). Check it out, you won't regret it. It's the only authentic Mexican food in Jacksonville.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Ben P
Jacksonville, Florida
“Flavorless Mexican Food”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

A friend took me to the worst Mexican restaurant I have ever had the displeasure to eat. He swore it was "authentic" Mexican food like I would find in Mexico. Since it is part of a Mexican grocery store, I was looking forward to a great meal.

Oh, was I sorely disappointed. The dinner started off well with a very good complementary salsa and chips. The salsa was not overy spicy, yet with enough kick to make it interesting. That turned out to be the only highlight of the evening. The rest was downhill.

The menu has a wide variety of offerings, including breakfast items. Most of the entrees' protein can be customized. Besides the usual beef, pork and chicken, Pepe's offers rarely seen options of beef tongue and tripe. Prices are very low. The most expensive item was less than $12, and there were many under $5. Here, though, is an example of the old adage, you get what you pay for.

First, I ordered a combo plate of a chile relleno, chicken enchilada, and chicken flauta with refried beans and rice. When the waitress asked what kind of tortillas I wanted, I requested a corn tortilla for the enchilada and a flour for the flauta.

What I received was a combo of two soft tacos and two flautas, all with flour tortillas. When I questioned the waitress, she insisted the error was my fault! Not wanting to get into an argument, I accepted the plate, telling my dinner companion that it was probably a healthier option since it came with shredded lettuce and tomato.

Oh, was that a mistake! There was no flavor on the entire plate. The chicken was so dry it had the texture and flavor of sawdust. I added green chile sauce and a bit of the super-hot red chile sauce as well as some sour cream. That made it possible to choke it down. The beans were barely lukewarm. The Spanish rice was dry and obviously made from a packaged mix; the peas had the characteristic wrinkling of a freeze-dried product.

My dining companion ordered a single soft taco with pork along with the beans and rice. To be fair, I have to report he was pleased with his food.

A friend had asked me to bring her back an order of guacamole, which I did. After tasting it, she went to the kitchen to add salt, pepper, salsa, chili powder and dried onion to flavor it.

My dinner friend may be right, however, that "it's like eating in Mexico." Both my guacamole recipient and I have had bouts of Montezuma's revenge today. My advice: if you want great Mexican food in Jacksonville, avoid Pepe's Hacienda. Head to Don Juan's or Castille de Mexico instead.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank Yankeereb
Jacksonville, FL
“Bring your appetite, this is not Taco Bell”
Reviewed June 2, 2010

BIg Burrito's for $3.99, taco's $1.50, sandwiches $3.99, with more than beef or chicken. The selection includes roasted pork, fried pork, barbecoa, tongue, and tripe. The dinners are $7.99, and simple home cooking. The weekend menu includes homemade tamale's and menudo. Posole is on the daily menu. The seafood items are always good. The shrimp cocktail is great on a hot day, being like a bloody mary mixer with onions, & cilantro and about 20 big shrimp ($7.99) The music is usually mariachi on disc. The TV is usually set on Univision. Pinata's everywhre, and art by latino artists. Breakfast is tasty and reasonable-although it is a small selection. The coffee is wonderful-fresh ground every pot. Steak and eggs, breakfasgt burrito, Chorizo and eggs, huevo ranchero, american breakfast, pancakes. Best guacamole in Jax.

1 Thank AuntieWinter4