“Plain decor but excellent food and service”
Review of APNA Restaurant

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
APNA Restaurant
Ranked #811 of 2,013 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Indian
St. Augustine, FL
“Plain decor but excellent food and service”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We just stopped to have a dinner here while visiting Jacksonville Beach. The restaurant is very easy to find, being situated in a strip mall on one of the major boulevards in the Jacksonville area, so it is easy to get here from anywhere. Do not let the first impression detract you, as it is very plain and simple inside. But, the food is excellent, plentiful, and inexpensive - one of the advantages of not having to finance a fancy environment. Our server Traciah was excellent, very helpful in answering our questions and helping with recommendations. We started with vegetable samosas, I had Chicken Tikka Masala and my wife had Chicken Charga, all came with plenty of rice. We also had their garlic nan. Everything was excellent, very tasty, nice blend of spices and so much food, that we took home enough leftovers for another dinner next day. So, if you are looking for good food and do not mind a simple decor, this is your place.

• Visited January 2013

“Lunch buffet was very tasty with multiple choices!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We were looking for something different and we were very pleased with our choice
The lunch buffet was of a better quality than other indian buffets. We even heard our waitress discussing how to make one of the tasty items.

Florida
“Interesting: worth a revisit”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Ate there Jan 20th with my wife & daughter on a tour visit to University of North Florida.
It's a bit of a different take on Indian food, being Pakistani Muslim rather than the usual staples. A few spices I couldn't identify. Food was very good though, and quite reasonably priced at around $9 for most dishes. Note it is all a la carte; you need to order any rice etc explicitly. (Not sure why an earlier reviewer got bent out of shape about that: you just ask, don't you)? It's a strip mall place, so don't expect ambiance. Also just a heads-up: being Muslim, they don't serve beer or wine.
Overall we thought it was a good inexpensive dinner, and would be happy to try another visit to sample more of the menu.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank xtenkfarpl
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Um... Wont go there again!”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

OK, so I’m not an avid writer/reviewer- but I was inspired to write one after eating some of my leftovers (ha ha, I know!). My husband and I are couponers, so we love to try new places that we see coupons for.

We walked in and were greeted right away- told to sit where we liked, and since there was only one other table taken, we had our choice. There was one other table with 3-4 guys at the backside of the restaurant that were talking and starring at us (or maybe the front windows, who knows). Either way, it made for a bit of an uneasy feeling.

Anyway, we decided to try the vegetable samosas to start, which were pretty good. For the main course, we ordered chicken biryani, murgh makhani (a.k.a. butter chicken) and chana masala and for dessert, a mango shake.

The chana masala came out looking pretty good, and smelled great. When the waiter came back, we asked if there was any rice that came with it. He said no. NO? Yep, no rice. I found this a bit odd, but ok I guess. The waiter was nice and very quick about bringing out a bowl of rice for us. No issues there.

The murgh makhani had a great flavor, but once we started eating it, we noticed they used tandoori chicken in it. Leftover chicken, maybe from the lunch buffet? Perhaps. Rice with the chicken & sauce? Nope.

The chicken biryani, (I do believe I read on the menu) was supposed to come with “yogurt sauce”. But, you guessed it, none to speak of. Well whatever- I’ve moved on. So I start to scoop out the confetti looking rice off the plate, looking for the chicken. Found a leg! A leg??? Oh, here, I found another hunk of (insert an unidentifiable chicken part). So I start to look a little closer. They actually used cut up, bone in, FRIED chicken in there. Yup, found small pieces of the breading on the chicken and mixed in with the rice. So, they give you just pieces of cut up chicken, bones, fat, tendons and gristle. Beware while eating it.

The mango shake, I’m still not sure what to think of. We saw on the menu where it said, and I quote, “so thick it will stick to the roof of your mouth”. We thought, wow, that sounds great, let’s give that a try! It was a total and complete let down. This “shake” came out as mango juice, milk and ice. No, not ice from a blender, but rather juice and milk with ice cubes in it. When we asked he made the lassi (maybe by mistake?), he said no, that was the shake. In the trash it went (and the $3.50 they charged for it).

I’m not sure that I have to actually say it, but I will anyway. They will never see my smiling face or DH in their restaurant again (or in the store they have next door). Just a side note on that--- I’m a beef, chicken and pork kind of girl, so I don’t know what other raw meats are supposed to smell like, but it smelled like a pet store in there.
Ok, so you have my two cents, so do with it what you will. Happy eating!

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank RalphandNichole
North Houston, Texas
“Good food”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Dont be fooled by the furniture that seems to be falling apart and the dull ambience. The food and service is better than some high end Indian places in Jacksonville. We had Kabuli Chana and Biryani which were quite good. The staff was prompt and helpful.

• Visited June 2011