“If you can't go to your favorite place in Tuscany......”
Review of Taverna

Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 2,069 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: European, Italian, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Atlantic Boulevard
Description: Taverna specializes in seasonal European cuisine heavily influenced by Italy and Spain using the freshed local ingredients.Our wine selection mirrors this philosphy with a focus on terroir driven wines from Spain and Italy and an emphasis on quality.
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I'd really suggest that you visit Taverna. This is a "top notch" dinning establishment! They seem to get it on all levels; stellar service, comprehensive menus, great food and nice prices. The best sautéed calamari I've ever had, ditto for the 12oz rib eye.

Try the outdoor "heated" seating and fear not the cold. BTW - excellent wine list by bottle and glass. Reservation a must, parking a bit crowded and a hip crowd (if you care about that sort of thing). Needless to say, I was impressed.

Did I mention you won't feel out of place in nice jeans and a sweater?

Reviewed March 25, 2014

WE had the lamb belly for dinner six or so weeks ago and it was terrific. We went Friday after the mid day symphony for lunch and had wonderful steak and fries. Some had the Steak salad and pronounced it delicious. A great bottle of sangiovese. Brian the manager and partner chatted a while and helped the girls pick a nice bottle of white.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have heard about Taverna for some time and it was just one of those things where you never end up going. Anyway, last night we went with friends and it was a great time. The place has a cozy feel about it and the staff are very friendly.

The menu was quite varied and there was indeed something for everyone, I truly could not make up my mind. We had appetizers (broiled sardines for the wife, meatballs for me) and there was plenty - as a matter of fact the four of us split them. The main course was more difficult to decide, and I chose something that sounded interesting. Luckily our waitress warned me in the kindest way that I might not really like that selection because it was very fatty. I really appreciate when someone is looking out for you I had their fish special on the menu and it was delicious and the wife had a pasta with a pork in tomato sauce with fennel and pine nuts. It was all she could do to keep me away from her plate!

The wine list is pretty good with something for every taste and the desserts were also quite good, though I was so full I probably did not enjoy dessert to the max.

If I had any cons it would be that the AC unit blew right on out table and that made it cold, but the staff obligingly turned it off for most of the meal (when it started to get warm int he restaurant and they had to turn it back on). The other thing I found odd for this kind of upscale restaurant (about $50 per person with wine) was the presence of a big screen TV and people watching basketball. I know it is that time of the year but if you want to watch basketball - stay home and watch. The restaurant should not have to, and in my opinion should not, have a big screen TV in the dining room.

However, that would not be enough to keep me from going back and I am looking forward to my next meal at Taverna.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Taverna recently underwent a little "face lift", with additional seating added. Nice, modern décor and wonderful eats. Many entrees are "home made", such as the pastas - and they are delicious. The nice thing about Taverna is you can have a regular meal, i.e. starter, entrée....or you can have Tapas-style. Many of the dishes are offered in full size or smaller size. My husband and I shared an olive mixture, home made ravioli stuffed with ricotta and served with mushrooms (delightful), a very enjoyable caprese salad with fresh in-house made mozzarella, one of the evenings specials: fried sardine salad (yum!), and a huge plateful of truffle fries. What a delightful feast. The wine list is quite decent with a number of wines that complement this array of goodness! Unless you dine early you may want to make reservations - it's not that large a place even with the renovations. And of course you can also enjoy dining al fresco if outdoor tables are available. Do yourself a favor and try Taverna if you haven't yet. It is located in the San Marco area, which is fun to walk around before or after dinner!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Would recommend for a casual night out. Food superb, staff attentive. Would recommend reservations on weekend.