“Best BBQ in town”

Description: Behind Bennetts Hardware in the Marietta section of Jacksonville
Jacksonville, Florida
“Best BBQ in town”
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

When I want BBQ this is the place I go. The turkey is out of this world and the beef brisket melts in your mouth. It's a small place but don't let that deter you.

5 Thank SmokyMtnGirl904

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best BBQ in Jax!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Awesome pulled pork. The BEST beef brisket in town. Try the shrimp also. The atmosphere is exactly what you should expect from a authentic Southern mom and pop BBQ joint. Eat outside on a nice day under some giant oak trees.

1 Thank Amos-Moses1981
Lake City, Florida
“Best in Jax”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Inside is a crowded dining room with seating for about 25, and an even smaller kitchen. Both times it was nearly full, but I was still able to find a seat. Orders are placed as you enter at a counter separating the two rooms, and brought to your table when ready.

On my first visit, I sampled their pulled pork, along with beans and macaroni salad. The second time I went big, choosing a two meat combo with ribs and brisket plus potato salad and beans (again), so I think we've got the basics covered. There is a lot more on their menu, including the namesake gator, so another return may be in order.

I was impressed with the pulled pork. Large chunks of tender smoked meat and small bits of flavorful bark were mixed nicely. Smoke flavor was there, but not overly strong. Beans and Macaroni salad were both average, run of the mill supporting actors.

The ribs had a nice black crust. They had good flavor and were perfectly tender, but a little dry. Though it was chopped into little strips, the brisket had decent flavor too. It would have been better if the 1/4" layer of fat on the edge had been given time to cook into the meat. Both of these meats seemed like they could use a little sauce, so I gave the yellow bottles a try.

Only one was labeled as mustard sauce, but they seemed to all be variations of the same recipe, one a little sweeter and one slightly hotter than the regular. I like a good mustard sauce, and these didn't disappoint.

Again the sides were average. Garlic toast was so cold the butter wouldn't melt.

This places epitomizes the atmosphere of a good bbq joint, and they are on the right track with their meats.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank caleblaughlin
Jacksonville
“Ribs to die for!”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Stopped in to pick up a slab of ribs to take to my staff, let's just say they didn't last long! Food ws great as usual. G;ad I got a pork sandwich for myself or I would have lost a hand reaching for the ribs!

Visited February 2012
2 Thank spazen34
Jacksonville
“Great whole Turkey Breast for Thanksgiving”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Ordered a whole turkey breast from Gators for Thanksgiving and we were not disappointed! We picked it up chilled Wed. morning and heated it up in our oven Thursday and wow was it ever juicy, just like you get it there, can't wait to reserve one for Christmas.

Visited November 2011