“Absolutely delicious!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Home made bread served with aioli and a fresh diced garlic a tomato bruchetta. Black linquini seafood pasta is amazing! Authentic Italian experience. Italian wife is chef. Husband with personality runs dining room. Cooked to order dishes. We will definitely be back!

6  Thank PVtravelbums

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My family and I stopped by here on vacation from Tennessee. First off if your in a hurry don't go. It's laid back and it feels like it's more of a hobby than a business. That being said if you do have the time it's AMAZING. We went on a Sunday night and we were the only people right at opening. We ordered the caprese, two salads and different pastas including the bolognese spaghetti, gnocchi, and tortellini. The owner served us and before our meal brought us out some marinated zucchini and bread with a pesto sauce without us even asking. Both amazing. The salads were good nothing super impressive but good. The caprese was very delicious and a generous portion of it. All the pastas were great! The owner asked if I wanted to try homemade noodles with the bolognese and they were a great choice! We ordered the tiiarimisu and ice cream with chocolate on it also very amazing. After our meal the owner brought us shot glasses of a lemon creme liqueur he had made at no charge. It was excellent! Throughout the entire meal the owner told us stories of growing up in Italy and little tidbits about the food all very interesting. He let us eat in peace when we got our food but kept us entertained the rest of the time. I would come back to Jacksonville just for this restaurant, I highly recommend!

2  Thank Amanda E
Reviewed July 11, 2013

As another diner reported, my wife and I have also been dining at Mamma Lucia since it first opened and we've never been disappointed, either. The experience is more closely akin to eating at someone's home than a restaurant: the place is small - intimate - with only 10 tops and decorated with photos, posters and other authentic Italian memorabilia. I've traveled extensively in Italy and can say that this is what a 'real' Italian ristorante looks like - never mind that it's nestled in a strip mall. Mamma produces wonderful food in HER kitchen and takes great pride in her patrons' enjoyment of it. Husband Claudio takes care of everything else along with one or two serving staff. If you want something special, just ask. Favorite menu items include gnocchi gorgonzolla, veal saltimbocca, squid ink pasta(!), antipasti, and, for a dolce, Claudio's own tiramisu. (Had an entire pan of tiramisu for a birthday cake!) If you're in a hurry and expecting fast service, don't bother - Mamma Lucia is a place to relax and take time to enjoy a more leisurely meal - with wine, of course! You will be warmly welcomed and made to feel at home. Reservations recommended on busy evenings, but Claudio will always try to accommodate walk-ins.

3  Thank CapnJack52
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Mamma Lucia's serves authentic Italian food not the food that most people think is Italian. Mamma and Claudio make you feel as if you are in their home. The gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce is heavenly. The fried calamari is perfect. I have never had anything that was not delicious here. So if you want to try real Italian food go to Mamma Lucia's. And I can't understand why people think that this restaurant is expensive. Not at all.

3  Thank goldi130
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We arrived early on a Saturday night at their "storefront" location and were the first customers of the day. We enjoyed fresh Italian food rivaling the best restaurants in New York City and Italy, all at Olive Garden prices. The caprese salad had the freshest tomatoes, the best mozarella and the oil and herbs were fantastic. The lasagna, the veal parmisan, and my ravioli (special of the day) were also fresh and wonderful. We topped it off with a tasty Cuppa Marscapone and a flaming "Bomba".

That being said, the experience took two hours and the chairs were very uncomfortable for that length of time. They do not have a wine list per se, let alone wine by the glass, so we had to get a chilled bottle of Lambrusco for $35. "Papa", the maitre'd, was so busy preparing the desserts that we had to wait 10 minutes to have my credit card processed. I also think that "Mama" could use a bit of help in the kitchen. There was one waitress.

I look forward to going again with my friends. But make sure you have two hours worth of conversation....and bring a seat cushion.

3  Thank katygt919