“With a little effort - could be a nice hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank
Ranked #17 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Clean rooms. Nice staff. Decent (but not great) location. Pool looked great. Good workout facility. It's interesting to me when a property is so close to being very nice but some of the basics are blown. Take breakfast, for example, when the staff bussed the tables they dropped the plates from about 3 feet into the bus tray. Not once or twice but over and over again. Absolutely no sensitivity to folks trying enjoy a hard boiled egg and some fresh fruit. Oh yes, "trying" to enjoy a hard boiled egg and fresh fruit because there were none on the buffet. Completely empty. As a matter of fact, at 8:00 in the morning, many of the food trays were empty. Eventually some were refreshed. Eventually. This is an attractive property....a bit off the beaten path....great beds and linen. Nice folks, for the most part, in their employ. But guys, hey, if breakfast is "free" you may be able to away with sub par service.

Room Tip: I had a corner room on the 3rd floor. Ask for a corner. Lots of windows.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
David S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Graffiti,

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel restaurant. We understand how important consistent service is-even the simple things. I have brought your comment to our serving team and we are actively working on additional trainings with your recommendations in mind. The next time you are in area we would love to have you come back to see the changes we have made and provide feedback. Thank you once again for your comments.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I often travel to downtown Jacksonville to work but stayed near baymeadows or St. Johns Center. Now that I have found this Hilton Garden Inn I stay just a few blocks from my office. Very nice and helpful staff throughout the facility. Very Clean rooms. The only draw back is parking is $10 a night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
David S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear EcuEagle,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your home away from home! We truly appreciate your business, and hope to see you in future! Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed one night at this hotel for a business trip. It was chosen based on being very close to building that I was visiting. The plus and minus details are below:

Plus
-Convenient location for this trip
-Hotel was very clean and well maintained (Both lobby and room)
-Nice workout room overlooking pretty pool area

Minus
- Funky smell in the air out side when parking car to check in - other reviews indicate there is a water treatment plant nearby
- Arrived in the evening, but no one was at front desk to check us in...had to wait around before anyone showed up
- There is $10 charge to use garage and when I tried to get in, the room key card was not working and the button to press to speak to lobby did not work either. After several card swipes and button pushes a parking garage attendant came over and said that the hotel card reader in that lane didn't work and that I should back up and try the other lane
- Room does not have a tub (only a shower) - would have liked a nice hot bath after my flight
- Bed has button on the side to adjust firmness, but options seem to vary from extra, extra firm to extra, extra, extra, extra firm. Hardest hotel bed I have ever slept on
- Noise was also an issue - the A/C unit in the room was pretty load, so it drowned out most of the traffic noise from the nearby highway, but I could still hear busses idling and people yelling on the street below and freight trains going by (late at night and early morning too)

I will be looking for other options the next time I go to Jacksonville.

Room Tip: ASk at the front desk if there are quiet rooms available. I was on the third floor and could hear a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Jacque C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Let me personally thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I apologize that there were a few inconsistent service issues and please rest assured they are being addressed. Additional issues such as the room key parking malfunction and adjustable bed are currently being examined and remedied. Please accept my sincerest apologies and let me know if you have any additional comments. We always want our guests to feel comfortable and satisfied and we will work doubly hard to ensure our goals are met. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Jacque Conley

Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a nice hotel with great rates. The room was very clean and the staff was very friendly. Complimentary Honors water and snacks was a nice perk. There is a $10 per night parking fee to be aware of, even if you do not park in the parking deck.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Sally762,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and are taking advantage of the perks of being a Hilton Honors member. We truly appreciate you sharing your experience with other travelers, and look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was here for business and had a room on the 2nd floor. I got there Thursday night and the club was pretty busy but I couldn't hear anything from my room which was nice. Friday night was a different story, I felt like I had a live band right in my room, very loud. It quieted down around 12:30am and then i could sleep. Get a room on a higher floor to not hear the music as much. 1st morning I had what I thought was free breakfast, box of cheerio's and coffee, no charge okay...next morning same thing and the waitress brings me a bill for almost five bucks...she waived it after I explained I wasn't charged the previous morning. Other than that, it's a very nice hotel with secure ($9.99/night) parking garage. Nice pool and billards room etc...I'd stay again on a higher floor!

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the weekends on a lower floor facing King street, loud club across the stree...

Dear Alexis F.,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel! I am sorry to hear that the club across the street interferred with a great stay. We truly appreciate your business, and look forward to seeing you hear in the future!

Have a great day!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I arrived late and quickly was able to park and check in. My room was clean and the staff very helpful and nice. I appreciated the restaurant/bar in the lobby - so many hotels don't have them anymore. I travel for work a lot and this was perfect for the traveler who is coming and going for work, but want access to downtown and several good restaurants. I like the quietness of the rooms. The pool between two adjacent hotel lobbies is a little odd since you can see people there while you eat, but didn't appear to be used much. Decent gym access as well. i would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: They were all quiet - I was close to a stairwell and vending and did not hear anything.

Dear TampaTrips,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers coming to the Jacksonville Area. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and look forward to seeing you in the future! Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. First night had to move to another room because theres a loud night club on one side of the building. I moved to the other side and it was quiet. The staf was nice about it and even comped me a breakfast for my trouble. The breakfast was very good, but I would not of paid the $12.95 for it if it wasn't free. When your making the reservation they should tell you that the parking is going to be $10 extra per day. This hotel is very nice and clean. It is not for people who are traveling on a budget. I think most of the people staying there , were on business and their companies were paying for it. PS go around 5 and they got amazing cookies in the lobby.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear James B.,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at the hotel! We truly appreciate the fact that you chose our hotel for your business needs. I will share with our chef how much you enjoyed the cookies! Have a wonderful day.