“Nice hotel with one major flaw.....”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank
Ranked #18 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed January 27, 2011

This is a new hotel on the southbank. Good location to downtown and reasonably priced for the area. The hotel is new and clean with good quality ammenities. The rooms are well appointed, the furniture is comfortable. I only noted one problem but unfortunately its a deal-killer - they sliding glass door leading out to the balcony is very thin. What this means is you hear every car that passes on the highway and every conversation going on by people passing by (even though I was on the fourth floor). Because of all of the noise I couldn't sleep. I checked out early and changed hotels. It's a shame because otherwise this is a good place.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 19, 2011

This hotel & the Garden Inn next door are BRAND NEW but I would give only 2/5 starts. I am a Hilton Diamond member and severely disappointed.
New construction seems nice at first glance, then you realize its all plastic - especially the shower, which felt like it came from a sleep inn.
Windows don't open- NO WAY TO GET ANY FRESH AIR!!!!! - AC system doesn't allow either
First Room had a sewage smell in it.
Later room had a smoky smell
Cigarette buts all in the stairwell
No SMOKE detectors in the stairwell!
Staff was very friendly

Oh and you have to PAY for parking even though there is a TON

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank FatAndy012
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I had to check out of this hotel after one day. Let me be fair, hotel room wise this is definitely one of the nicer Homewood suites I've stayed at. New, clean, well appointed. The problem here is location. This hotel is on the outskirts of downtown in a semi business section. That's all you get here. When I asked the front desk where I could go to get something to eat on a Saturday afternoon I was given strictly driving info. When i asked where I could walk to I was met mostly with a shrug. Staying at downtown hotels can be a lot of fun like in Boston, New York, even Cleveland and others cities. But at this hotel there's nothing around it for a couple of miles and even then it's spotty.

For breakfast Sunday morning our choices were pre-made breakfast sandwiches, french toast sticks, non fat milk, dry cereal, and yogurt. that might sound decent but not up to the Homewood suites standards I'm used to and a disappointment considering some of the stellar reviews this property has received.

Like most hotels it seems in Jacksonville their "high speed" internet service was too slow for the amount of staying users. I had to tether with my cell phone.

To add to some prior reviews. The train sounds never bothered me. But I did hear some booming bass late at night from a nearby club. But neither bothered my sleep and I am a light sleeper.

Oh well time to check out and head back to the suburbs,

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Chase71
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We stayed here to be near a concert venue. The property seems almost new and the facility includes the homewood as well as a hilton garden inn, sharing parking and pool facilities. Rooms were very nicely appointed, leather furniture in the living room, very comfortable beds. Kitchen had a decent supply of utensils, plates, etc. Full size kitchen,microwave and two burner stove. Pool and jacuzzi were nice and big enough for this type of property that is probably primarily used by business travelers. No good options for dining - the homewood has no restaurant on-site (free breakfast was okay and M-T they do a complimentary happy hour). The Hilton Garden had a restaurant with mediocre offerings.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2010

On a business trip a collegue and I shared a two room suite at this hotel. Location downtown is not very busy and there is not many restaurants around it. It was kind of tricky to get to from the interstate even though we could see it from I95. It shares a location and pool with a Hilton Garden Inn.
The staff was friendly and the hotel beautiful. They do charge $10 a night for parking.
Our suite was incredible. Both rooms had their own bath, one had a large jacuzzi tub. The living room was rounded with all windows and plantation shutters. Just a fabulous floorplan. I wish other HWS had this same floor plan.
The free breakfast was good but sometimes the hot food was cold.
Needless to say we loved this hotel and on our return back this way stayed there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2010

The rooms are nicer than any homewood I have ever seen. My family stays here every time they visit us now. There is free parking if you park in the spots at the hotel instead of the garage. It is close to a lot of great places to eat, not even a mile drive. San Marco area is close with great places to eat. The front desk will tell you where to go. Bistro AIX and La Nopalera are some of our favorites.

Of note: The studio rooms are nicer than the 1 bedroom rooms. The 2 bedroom rooms are amazing!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2010

The hotel is a typical Homewood Suites which is nicely decorated and with all the comforts that one can expect with the brand. However, there is bar just down the street that plays LOUD music all evening and into the night. It did not stop until 2 AM when the bar closed. I called the front desk to complain and like they have informed guests thousands of times (I could tell by the front desk clerk's voice), all they can do is call the police. I don't know if the police arrived, but the noise seemed to be lowered for a couple of hours although I could still hear it. At least the walls were not shaking. I attribute this partly due to heavy rain that lasted for a couple of hours. Around midnight when the rain stopped, the noise started back up again. There is also a Hampton Inn at this property. I definately will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Travelers also viewed these Jacksonville hotels
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank
Omni Jacksonville Hotel
Omni Jacksonville Hotel
#10 of 133 in Jacksonville
DoubleTree by Hilton Jacksonville - Riverfront
Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Downtown I-95
Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville Deerwood Park

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank? Share your experiences!