Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank
Ranked #24 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

The rooms are nicer than any homewood I have ever seen. My family stays here every time they visit us now. There is free parking if you park in the spots at the hotel instead of the garage. It is close to a lot of great places to eat, not even a mile drive. San Marco area is close with great places to eat. The front desk will tell you where to go. Bistro AIX and La Nopalera are some of our favorites.

Of note: The studio rooms are nicer than the 1 bedroom rooms. The 2 bedroom rooms are amazing!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reviewed April 6, 2010

The hotel is a typical Homewood Suites which is nicely decorated and with all the comforts that one can expect with the brand. However, there is bar just down the street that plays LOUD music all evening and into the night. It did not stop until 2 AM when the bar closed. I called the front desk to complain and like they have informed guests thousands of times (I could tell by the front desk clerk's voice), all they can do is call the police. I don't know if the police arrived, but the noise seemed to be lowered for a couple of hours although I could still hear it. At least the walls were not shaking. I attribute this partly due to heavy rain that lasted for a couple of hours. Around midnight when the rain stopped, the noise started back up again. There is also a Hampton Inn at this property. I definately will not be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend of College Basketball March Madness March 19-March 22. As most of these reviews will agree, it is certainly a nice hotel. One issue is that it is not located in a good area, and it would be highly foolish to walk around these parts in the evening. Also, like one other review noted, if you are on the Kings Ave. side of the hotel, which is half of the hotel, you will be hearing loud music and trains until 2 AM for the music, and trains will be on and off throughout the day/night....I think the train is realistic to deal with, but the music is ridiculous. The fact that guests complain about it and the hotel has not struck an agreement to get them to turn it down a little bit is beyond me.Also, like some reviews stated earlier, there is a weird smell that if you are sensitive to that sorta thing, will bother you...Aside from the reasons to be kept up all night, it is a nice hotel, with a good breakfast every morning. Just be aware of the the distractions....

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jonman2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I was scheduled to stay at this hotel from a Thursday to a Sunday. When I arrived I was pleased by the accomodations, however, when walking into the lobby I was overwhelmed by the strong stench of some type of seafood that had gone bad. I assumed that the smell would be limited to the lobby area. Unfortunately, when I got off of the elevator to go to my room, some other type of offensive odor was immediately noticable. To my dismay, the smell was also noticable in my room. I cannot describe the odor... but it was so pungent my cousin vomited about five minutes after we walked into the suite. I honestly cannot describe the smell, my cousin and I have tried to figure it out with no success. I can assure you that neither of us have a history of mental illness and do not suffer from olfactory hallucinations, and an earlier reviewer of this hotel mentioned it as well, so I don't think it was imagined it. The hotel staff was very nice and seemed surprisingly unfazed when we told them that we were going to check-out due to the malodorous accomodations. We were later told that a "team of people" had been sent to try to determine the origin of the odor, so I suppose they were trying to correct the situation, although I find it impossible to believe that other customers have not reported it. On the other hand, if that type of thing doesn't bother you, the hotel is aesthetically pleasing, and the staff was very accomodating.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Kitrina Smith at the Homewood Suites really knows what customer service means. She is also a great person. Thank god for people with her God give personality. I would recommend this hotel with five thumbs up. She should be employee of the year.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Me, me wife, and two young daughters (ages 3 and 1) stayed at this hotel from Nov. 25-29. The hotel is brand new so it's in excellent condition. The lobby is warm & inviting and the the one bedroom suite was spacious, clean and well kept. The hotel is not located in the heart of downtown, but is not very far from it.

There were a few downsides as well. When you enter the hotel there is a foul smell and numerous guests picked up on it. You could also smell it on the elevators and in some of the hallways. The front desk people of the hotel all claimed not to notice it, which I found hard to believe. Also, the hotel is located right next to some train tracks with CSX trains going by regularly. So if you are a light sleeper, please keep this in mind. And lastly if you are on the Kings Ave. side of the hotel, there is a bar across the street that has live bands that play very loud music on the weekends until about 2 am. It got so loud that we had request a move to a the room across the hall for the rest of our stay. I will say the the front desk staff will go out of their way to accomodate any requests you have, especially Mark who was awesome in every way. And lastly, the breakfast each of our four mornings was just o.k. but I have had better at other Homewood Suites.

So overall, the place is nice, but the other issues I mentioned would keep me from staying here again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank WebBrown
Orlando Florida
Reviewed November 18, 2009

This hotel is adjacent to the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel ( which was very attractive looking) and they share a pool and work out room. I stayed at this hotel with two other colleagues while attending a conference at St. Vincent's hospital about 3 miles away. We booked the one bedroom suite since we had two females and a male traveling together. It was very roomy and included a kitchen with a table and chairs, roomy living room with a fold out sofa. According to our male colleague the sofa was okay for a few night, but not for a extended stay. The bedroom had two queen beds and a was quiet spacious. The females of the group felt a "little" guilty about having a nice bedroom with our male collegue having the sofa bed........but it worked out fine. We shared the bathroom and did not have any problems with privacy, for anyone who may have those concerns traveling. They also offered a two bedroom suite, we did not want to pay the extra price so we did not book it. The Hilton Garden Inn has a restuarant which was okay........nothing to write home about it. But the staff at both hotels were very friendly and accomodating. The hotel also offers a breakfeast which includes bagels, toast, cereal, scrambled eggs and bacon.....I found it quiet good. The room was very clean, and attractively designed and we had no problem with noise. The hotel also had a busineess center. The charge you for parking as they have their own parking garage with a security guard and charge you $10.00 a day.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business