“next door is better”

Ranked #20 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
los angeles
“next door is better”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

this homewood suites is adjoining with hilton garden inn through a hallway. the breakfast at hilton garden inn is so much better. i stayed there for two nights. the first morning the breakfast was basic, but the waffle machine did the job. the next morning the waffle machine was not put out, i asked the chef about it, and her reply was "WE DON"T PUT THAT OUT EVERYDAY." unbeleivable! i walked over the adjoining hilton garden and shocked to see the spread, and i of course helped myself with their waffle machine.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jttf
Jacque C, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay with us.I do apologize for your disappointment with our Homewood breakfast experience. We are constantly striving to improve and all comments, positive and negative, help us to accomplish this. I am reviewing our breakfast layout as we must be consistent with the Homewood brand's required setup. I have shared your comments with management and my staff to see where we may be able to further improve. Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again either at our Homewood or our sister hotel, Hilton Garden Inn!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
naples, fl
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Coming from the north on a weekday finding it was a small problem with traffic and many side street that are at angles to other streets. If you are going to visit spend some time on the maps and it will make things much easier. Once you find it, you have to check-in since your room key is your parking access card as well, not really a big deal but after driving for 10 hours I didn't really want to move the car. Again, not really a big deal.

Check in was quick and efficient. I didn't experience any of the staff problems that have been addressed in previous reviews. Hopefully management has paid attention to our site and have taken corrective action. Paying the $9.99 plus taxes a day for parking seems a bit much and has to be paid regardless of weather you use the garage of surface spaces and probability should be included in the base rate.

My room was spectacular! Very well furnish and comfortable. A small kitchen provided everything need for a longer stay. Really, it was almost a bedroom apartment. The only drawback was the air conditioning was very loud.

The weekday managers reception was really like having light drinks with dinner. A self serve beer tap with white and red wines where available. I didn't try the wine but the beer was very good. The food was chicken with vegetables, very well prepared, and saved us from having to leave to find a restaurant. An added bonus was talking with other guests. Breakfast was as well done and opened a few minutes early which allowed us to get ahead of traffic. Bravo to the staff for not making us wait around to keep the clock happy.

Getting out was much easier since the desk clerk gave directions that got us on the road without a problem.

This is a great place to stay in Jacksonville. Please give it some consideration if you will be spending several days. I know I will.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Jacque C, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide comments of your stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you were offered a quick and efficient check in and were happy with your room and all the staff you encountered. I do apologize that you found it difficult to locate the hotel. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Beach, North Dakota
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We also stayed here the night of September 4. I checked in and encountered the front desk clerk chowing down on her sandwich. I guess I was expecting too much that she would put her sandwich away quickly, and then greet me cheerfully, but no. She looked up, finished chewing, and said, "Yes??". Ummm, here to check in. "You must be A. SoandSo". Because??? "The only other person checking in today is a man." Oh. It felt very odd that she would volunteer this information. I kept waiting for her to acknowledge my Hilton Diamond status, but...no.

We stayed on the eighth floor; thank goodness for E-check-in. The room was gorgeous, huge and very, very comfortable for me and my family. We were a bit dismayed when we heard the train blowing its horn as it rumbled by, but our 6 year old was thrilled. Thank goodness the last train was at 10 p.m. Local area was very quiet as it was a Sunday night and a three day weekend. Breakfast was fine, nothing special.

Agree that the parking fee is ridiculous, especially on weekends when the place is completely empty.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank JDinTLH
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Homewood Suites Jacksonville Downtown Southbank. Please accept my sincere apology for the treatment you received from the front desk clerk. Your feedback is vital in our continued effort to grow and improve as we strive towards outstanding customer service. I have shared your concerns with the staff as a way to learn from the mistakes made. Again, thank you for your comments. Should your future travels bring you to the Jacksonville area, I hope you would allow us the opportunity to provide you with an experience you have come to expect from a Hilton brand!
Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We frequent this hotel every month when we want to have a romantic night out in the city and take a break from our daily routine, we do not drink and drive so we always stay in the nearest and cleanest hotel, the Homewood.
The hotel is beautiful, clean, and the suites are comfortable. And we love that spacious rooms. But if you are looking for top notch hospitality service from their employees, then this is not the hotel for you.
I noticed that during the evenings and late nights, that is when we normally check in, the front-desk have Front Desk agents that lack that hospitality needed to run a successful hotel. I don't know if it is because they are tired or just hating their shifts but God forbid you have a question, or have them check you in, it's like you are bothering so much while they are doing nothing but standing (or sitting) behind the front desk !
We still come back because it is the closest and nicer hotel near the areas we frequent. But after our experience last night during check in and being disrespected and treated like garbage by the lady who almost did not check us in we are rethinking if we should change venues for our weekend getaways.
During check-in last night we were greeted by a grumpy faced lady who's name starts with "D" she not only had the most horrific attitude toward us, but she did not even gave a a smile. While trying to checking, my husband very sweet and nice asked her if the hotel honored repeated guests with special rates, just a question, right? Well, out of the blue she disrespected and insulted my husband, also demanded she shall not be call by her name (that was in her name tag), that her name shall not come out of our mouths!!!????? And then added some other nonsense ( I wont go there in here that will be added in my letter to corporate).WTF? This was shocking to us. Here we are being the repeated customers trying hard to keep our cool and being nice to this lady even after she gave us treatment from hell. And as if she is the paying customer and we were doing her job. RIDICULOUS!!!! We have to try and put so much energy on this lady, when it's us trying to enjoy a great time for ourselves. We were so polite and trying to understand that maybe she was just having a bad night, but when she disrespected my husband out of the blue then she took it to another level. I have never in my entire life had experience such thing! Ever!
We are well educated, respectful and happy people, her name tag reads her name for a reason, so that the guests know who they are talking to and can address the clerk by his/her name. I have no clue why this lady was so irritated o why she even work in the hotel industry if she hates dealing with people.

The gentleman that check us out this Sunday morning was fantastic and friendly, it was not the first time he has checked us out, we are always happy to see him because he makes up for the bad service we receive during check in. The hotel would be perfect if all front desk agents would be like him.

This is a great looking hotel! Too bad it lacks employees with Hospitality Service training/knowledge.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MollySlucher
Thank you so much for sharing your comments about your experience at the Homewood Suites Jacksonville Downtown Southbank. I'm very sorry that you were treated with an undesirable level of service. I have addressed these issues with the night auditor and the entire front desk staff, as outstanding customer service is what we strive for. I do hope you will reconsider when needing hotel accommodations and not let this experience keep you from staying with us again. Thank you once again for your comments.
Cape Fear, North Carolina
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The place is exceptional. Very friendly staff. The rooms are spacious and clean. All the amenities of home are at your fingertip. The breakfasts are really good. One of the nicest places I've stayed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CoquinaRat
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We came to Jacksonville for a family event. Since we were on limited funds and staying for three days, I tried to find something reasonable and hoped for a fridge! Wow, did I get lucky! The Homewood Suites is beautiful and spacious and CLEAN!! We had their smaller suite and it was wonderful. It had two large flat screen TVs and 2 dvd players. I full fridge and microwave, dishwasher and 2 burner stovetop. Plus on Thursday night they had a welcome reception that was a full meal (only done Mon-Thurs). Hot breakfast every morning was also a big hit. The pool area is so nice. The kids just loved being there. Adults were enjoying the area as well. While the area does not have anything but a bar within walking distance, we did not mind as we had our own vehicle. We were able to drive to a Wal-Mart, Taco Bell and McDonald's in about 5 minutes. There were also some places off Hendricks Ave which is about a block away. There was a wings place, Jimmy Johns, Mexican and a few blocks from that was a quaint square with many options and even some shopping. It looked like it would be awesome for business travelers on long stays as they had free wifi, laundry machines on the guest floors, etc.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SavingMama
Punta Gorda
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Wish the location was closer to the river, it did not seem like there was much around the immediate vicinity and area could be viewed as semi sketchy by some. Front desk staff could have been a little friendlier (a smile perhaps). Parking was a bit confusing; you had to register first, then go back and park your car. Would have been nice to have more on-street parking or a larger pull up area, otherwise it can be a bit of a walk to bring your luggage, then check in, then take your luggage to your room, then come back down and walk back to your car and park it in the garage. Also I had a room next to the elevator and the bed was right up against the wall which did not make for a good nights sleep. On the positives they offer free breakfast daily and free dinner during the weekdays, so quite a steal and a good value if you are looking to save $. The rooms were also very spacious and come with a kitchenette. Would stay again if I was on a tight budget but otherwise I think I would explore other options in the area.

Room Tip: Request room away from elevator