“Underlying issue here....”
Review of J Alexander's

J Alexander's
Reserve with OpenTable
J Alexander's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 2,132 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Big Island Drive
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is the 3rd time I have eaten here, the food is always up to scratch, so no complaints there.
The time before the visit last Thursday me and my 2 friends experienced poor, very slow service and a slight attitude.
This last visit was to celebrate a friends Birthday, I went at lunchtime to make a reservation, and was told they do not do that for 2's, but would put my name on the list so if they were busy we would get to the head of the queue.
They made a note of my name and the fact that I had chosen a desert that would be served with a candle.
When we arrived, the female behind the desk (note not lady) was cold, stated there was a wait, and wrote my name on another piece of paper.
So much for ensuring that information is passed between shifts.
I was handed a pager and waited, no one left and yet 10 mins later we were shown to a table with about 10 others empty.
As I have said the food was good, very good, but after the main course, no mention of the pre-ordered desert, and again the service was distant, with other waiters and staff fully engaging with other diners.
Now I don't necessarily like to engage in banter with restaurant staff, but some semblance of equality would be nice, this was the 3rd time that I believe the service has been poor.
As for Frosty on the desk, listen to what the customer says, it's JAlexanders not your own place and treat ALL customers equally.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Had dinner recently with people from work who were in town with me for a meeting. The restaurant was very nice with attentive staff. The smoked salmon app was incredible. I had the roasted chicken for dinner and it was also very good. The location was close to many hotels and it was part of a huge shopping complex.

1  Thank Sean K
Reviewed March 17, 2013

When just the two of us want to go out for a nice dinner, we always choose J Alexander's. We sit by the fireplace, while we wait for our table. Fresh squeeze orange juice always makes for a great cocktail. The food is always good. Miss the hot croissants though.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The atmosphere is great and the artichoke appetizer is amazing! Great wine list and awesome steak at an affordable price.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I have been to J Alexander's a number of times. Each time, we try something differant and each time we are very pleased. The atmosphere is quiet (we go early) and the servers are friendly.