“Great steaks, nice view, but really overpriced.”

Ruth’s Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Ruth’s Chris Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,111 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Flagler
Reviewed August 29, 2013

If there was a rating between average and very good that's what I'd rate Ruth's Chris in Jacksonville. There are a lot of nice things to say about this restaurant and my most recent visit where we celebrated my birthday; the view of the river is really nice with a great shot of the Main Street bridge that lights up in a beautiful indigo at night; the service is very attentive and friendly; and the steaks are outstanding served on a 500 degree sizzling plate.

On the negative side, other than the steaks the rest of the meal was good, but nothing that comes close to justifying the really expensive prices. The side dishes are all served a la carte and were ok. Likewise, the desserts were good, but not the quality I'd expect for the prices.

If celebrating a special occasion they go out of their way to make you feel special - the table was decorated with birthday confetti and a card and all of the wait staff wished me a happy birthday which was very nice. Overall, it was a nice experience, but I've definitely spent less money and had a much better meal.

3  Thank Christine M

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Having begun as a TripAdvisor Contributor within the past few months, I’m now writing some reviews on attractions, hotels, and restaurants in the coastal areas of Georgia and Northern Florida visited during one of those once-in-a-lifetime winter Epic Road Trips.

This was my first time in a Ruth's Chris Steak House. It was the big splurge on this trip. It did not disappoint.

First, the service was very attentive without being smothery.

Next, the ambiance was extraordinary. The décor was understated elegance. The linens and silverware were impeccably clean and arranged just so. And then, the large picture windows provided stunning views of the JAX skyline after dark, the Acosta Bridge, the St. John’s River, and the marine traffic which included private and commercial craft. I can still envision the views as I saw them that night.

Finally, the food was superb. I ordered the Petite Filet done medium with asparagus. The filet was a high-quality cut of beef. It was prepared perfectly. It was served on a sizzling hot plate. It kept my food hot for the duration of the meal…just as intended. The asparagus was good. This meal was well worth every penny of the $43.00-plus that I paid.

The Ruth's Chris Steak House in JAX is among a handful of premier steakhouses. I highly recommend it for a truly elegant fine dining experience.

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

While visiting Amelia Island we decided to drive to Jacksonville. While visiting Jacksonville we stopped off here for my Birthday dinner. We had a very hard time trying to get to this place with all the highway construction going on. We also had a hard time figuring out exactly where it was so I called. We find out that they were located inside of a hotel!! The hotel parking was not lit very well. Which seemed a bit dangerous to me. Once we arrived inside we were seated promptly. My husband and I ordered the Ribeye steaks. They both tasted tough. We also had the crab cakes which wasn't anything special either. The macaroni & cheese tasted as if it just came out of a box!! The desserts were excellent!! Definitely try the apple tart, you won't be sorry!! All in all you would be better off just going to a Outback Steakhouse somewhere to have a better steak for half the price.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Excellent steak in a nice riverfront location with great service for a group of people. Not good if you are traveling alone as all of the sides come family style with way too much for 1 person and no way to keep them in a hotel. You need a reservation unless you are OK with sitting in the bar. I did sit in the bar and it was fine, but you don't have the river views. The wait staff was very good. The filet mignon was very tender and had good flavor. You should know that this chain is fairly overpriced so expect $40-65 for your steak, $8-12 per side including sauteed mushrooms, and at least $4 for any sauce like blue cheese or peppercorn on the steak and they are good, but just enough to thinly cover the steak. Wine by the glass starts about $10 per glass. This not a good restaurant for kids because they serve the entrees on an extremely hot plate-it's just something the chain does. Honestly, I think I'll go down the street to Charthouse next time - Basically the same steak but with more sides options, ambience and perhaps a little lower bill. It was fine, but don't know if I will revisit - consistently good steak typical of of the chain, but a high price tag for a not really memorable experience overall.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Great service. Great drinks and the best steak in miles. I can say, at the level of the best steakhouses of Chicago, New York or houston. river view, elegant and relaxed atmosphere. dont forget to do a reservation prior to your visit.