“Hot day at the Zoo”

Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens
Ranked #2 of 175 things to do in Jacksonville
More attraction details
Owner description: This 73-acre park is the only zoo in Florida's northeast.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Jacksonville Zoo seems like a good place to take kids on a day to see the various animals in their contained areas. The sprawling complex has lots to offer, such as a train the circulates around the area and be used like a subway from point to point. The diverse areas are punctuated with wandering trails and little shops to get drinks from.

My impression of the place was clouded by the sheer heat of the day (94+) and it apparently affected the animals too as they were hanging out in whatever shade there was for them.

The most impressive element for me was seeing the Giraffes and Zebras in their savannah pens as they grazed and entertained children who came to feed them.

For children, it's a great sight and worth returning to when the weather isn't oppressive.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,712)
All reviews
"merry go round"
in 28 reviews
"butterfly hollow"
in 27 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
in 38 reviews
in 343 reviews
"carousel"
in 136 reviews

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I absolutely love the way this zoo is laid out, just when you think you're finished with an area and you spy another animal out the corner of your eye. I have never been to a zoo where the animals are so active, which makes it much more enjoyable! We were there from the time it opened until the time it closed and I can say, there is no zoo I have done that in before....Would definitely recommend to anyone!!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I've been to nicer Zoo's in the past and have been to the Jacksonville Zoo twice and it is not that great. They have a good range of animals, but overall it just gives you a rundown feel to it in many parts and could use a major facelift in many areas. Also don't plan to go anytime there is a good chance it will rain as most the animals go in their cave homes and you can't see anything. Sometimes the zoo will give you a rain day to come back in the future if you request it and haven't been there all day already. The restaurant in the zoo is not too good and pricey and recommend you pack you a to go lunch if you can. Also it can get really hot there in the summer so be prepared. Bring the kids a bathing suite or change of clothes so they can play in the splash park area too. They do have a goat petting zoo and a indoor activity center right next to the splash part also.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

we decided to take our two children to see the animals. We were hesitant because my wife has a hurt back, but we rented a motorized wheel chair. Renting the wheel chair and stroller for our daughter was a great help and made our trip better. We loved seeing all the animals and the reactions our kids had to them. It would be wise to take some water with you as you will get thirsty while walking around the park. Also you will want to give your self a good three hours so you can see the whole place etc. I also liked how kid safe it was and I did not have to worry about my kid getting to close to anything.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Jacksonville is blessed with a very nice zoo. The loop is easy to get around and animals are in nice, comfortable habitats. There is plenty to see and do, so it's a great way to spend the entire day. We enjoy close contact with the animals when feeding them the zoo-approved foods. The lorikeets, giraffes, and goats can all be fed. My kids love the carousel, splash park and penguin encounter as well. The gardens are amazing, too!