“Larger than expected”

Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens
Ranked #2 of 176 things to do in Jacksonville
More attraction details
Owner description: This 73-acre park is the only zoo in Florida's northeast.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very nice Zoo, lots of animals in natural habits, Beautiful landscaping and Japenese gardens. Wide walkways and activites for kids and or adults. It was a very enjoyable day.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,675)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

On a chilly day slightly out of the ordinary for Northeast Florida I spent a short time at the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens. I plan to go back again and spend a lot more time there! There was a brand new baby giraffe boy who was only 9 days old and weighed 150 pounds and was 6ft 2 in tall! A fun time watching him hang out with Mom, get closer to the other giraffes and get closer to the visitors. I got some great photos of him and mom.

Also the African Bird site was fun. Birds are walking around you on the path and looking at you like they know you! You are inside the cage with them while they eat, bathe, fly around, and walk. I got some great photos of them,too. Now I want to go back to see more and stay longer.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We are member of the Toronto Zoo back home, so we were able to get in for half price, which made it a very reasonably priced visit. This is a smaller zoo than many we've visited but there is a nice selection of animals and the giraffe feeding was a highlight. Go early in the day before the giraffes get bored with the food since there is no guarantee they will be interested in eating.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Grounds were clean and paths were well marked and easy to follow. Animals appeared to have large spaces to roam and appeared well cared for. Not too many stands for food/drinks, saw serveral drink machines (water was $2.50 a bottle) and a sno cone stand. Two restaurantson site, used the restrooms but didnt order any food. There is a sign that says no outside food, but we saw several kids eating homemade sandwhiches and drinking juice boxes. Great play area for kids. We got the value pass that included train ride, sting ray and butterfly exibit. Next time I'd just get regualar ticket price. Train was always full, and while the butterfly exibit was nice, wasnt worth the extra money.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We took our granddaughter for her third birthday. I handn't been since my own kids were small and was impressed with the improvements and changes. Go when it is cooler as shade is spotty.