“Kids Loved ZOO”

Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens
Ranked #5 of 193 things to do in Jacksonville
More attraction details
Owner description: This 73-acre park is the only zoo in Florida's northeast.
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Train ride is a must. See the entire park before taking off on side trips.

Much bigger Zoo than we imagined, take sunscreen, cap and your camera.

2  Thank TpartyTallahassee
Write a ReviewReviews (2,865)
All reviews
"merry go round"
in 30 reviews
"butterfly hollow"
in 28 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
in 39 reviews
in 30 reviews
"rays"
in 56 reviews

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I love it here! Whenever I have family in town, I try to make it out to the Jacksonville Zoo. It's not a HUGE one but it's a pretty decent size. Very clean. I love how they are always showcasing an exhibit (Penguins, Komodo Dragon, Dinosaurs). There are several animals you can interact with, (giraffe, stingray). I haven't been on the train yet but will definitely be back for that! ALSO! In the summer, if the temperature goes over a certain degree (90+?), you get in for half off regular admission price! Might be too hot for some people but that's a great incentive to go on blistering hot days! Would definitely recommend this attraction!

2  Thank Charmaine P
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Try to go at least annually. The gardens are awesome any time of year, even after a hard freeze - this place is a must see. Like it much better than San Diego Zoo. The Florida exhibit is especially nice.

4  Thank Pat C
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We are from the Philly area and were in Jax for a 2 month stay in 2009,we came to this zoo a couple times while we were here and really enjoyed it.I like the layout and animal enclosures.The train ride around the zoo is fun too and they have a great gift shop.I also really like the ability to get close to and feed the giraffes.My kids loved it.

2  Thank ddg103
See more reviews
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I've been to this zoo several times. It is shaded, has a lovely misting area and a station with a sink to wash up in. The lorikeets you can feed by hand are a great addition, all the animals seem happy and healthy and it is a reasonable price.

I was disappointed when I went about two days ago, however. We had a groupon and before she even greeted me, the lady at the desk rolled her eyes (i was shocked..) and said "groupons are redeemed over there." and pointed me to the next window. okay, fine. maybe she was dealing with groupons all day, must get tiring.

Next we bought the train tickets. We asked the attendant there several times what time the last train ride was and he ignored us, twice. He then didn't conclude the sale or say thank you, just gave us our receipt and left us standing there. Figuring that was all there was to it, we walked to the train station. Another employee was confused we didn't have wristbands, and we explained we were too. She told us to go back and collect our wristbands. He gave them to us without a word.

The rest of the trip, not having to deal with personnel, was fine. I never remembered such rude kids the other times I visited. I'm younger (24) and work in customer service as well and I would NEVER think to treat a visitor that way, hell, as a human being I wouldn't want to treat another PERSON that way! I was disappointed. It's such a nice zoo and Jacksonville is a place I really love to go to, I hope that things get corrected, fast.

5  Thank gratziella