“More than a zoo”

Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens
Ranked #2 of 175 things to do in Jacksonville
More attraction details
Owner description: This 73-acre park is the only zoo in Florida's northeast.
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Try to go at least annually. The gardens are awesome any time of year, even after a hard freeze - this place is a must see. Like it much better than San Diego Zoo. The Florida exhibit is especially nice.

4  Thank Pat C
Write a ReviewReviews (2,651)

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We are from the Philly area and were in Jax for a 2 month stay in 2009,we came to this zoo a couple times while we were here and really enjoyed it.I like the layout and animal enclosures.The train ride around the zoo is fun too and they have a great gift shop.I also really like the ability to get close to and feed the giraffes.My kids loved it.

2  Thank ddg103
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I've been to this zoo several times. It is shaded, has a lovely misting area and a station with a sink to wash up in. The lorikeets you can feed by hand are a great addition, all the animals seem happy and healthy and it is a reasonable price.

I was disappointed when I went about two days ago, however. We had a groupon and before she even greeted me, the lady at the desk rolled her eyes (i was shocked..) and said "groupons are redeemed over there." and pointed me to the next window. okay, fine. maybe she was dealing with groupons all day, must get tiring.

Next we bought the train tickets. We asked the attendant there several times what time the last train ride was and he ignored us, twice. He then didn't conclude the sale or say thank you, just gave us our receipt and left us standing there. Figuring that was all there was to it, we walked to the train station. Another employee was confused we didn't have wristbands, and we explained we were too. She told us to go back and collect our wristbands. He gave them to us without a word.

The rest of the trip, not having to deal with personnel, was fine. I never remembered such rude kids the other times I visited. I'm younger (24) and work in customer service as well and I would NEVER think to treat a visitor that way, hell, as a human being I wouldn't want to treat another PERSON that way! I was disappointed. It's such a nice zoo and Jacksonville is a place I really love to go to, I hope that things get corrected, fast.

5  Thank gratziella
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We did a last minute trip for the weekend from Charleston, SC down to Jacksonville. We had a Groupon Deal for $7.00/person vs the $14.95 general admission price. When we got there we got in line and were then told that anyone with a Groupon needed to be in a different line which made the wait time about 20 minutes to get into the park (not an easy task with two young children ready to walk through the gate to see animals). We have been through many large zoos and this one was very nice. The temps were in the high 80s, but there is plenty of shade and misting stations throughout the park. The paths are very wide to accomodate the traffic of people and strollers and it's very well maintained and clean. All the paths are loops which make it easy to travel throughout the park and get a chance to see everything. We spent almost 3 hours in the park and it was just enough to see it all, but I'm sure we could have walked a bit slower and enjoyed more of what the zoo has to offer. We will be back, but probably when it's cooler outside (late winter/early spring 2013).

1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I love this zoo especially since they added the kimono dragons. They have beautiful grounds and alot of animals. The train is always a fun way to get around, but they also have alot of shaded walk ways. They have a stingray pool were you can actually touch and feed the stingrays for about $3, which isn't bad at all for the experience. They also have a new butterfly enclosure which i didn't visit but it looked cool. It was just a fun time for a couple with no kids. Last time i took my neices and nephew and the had a blast at the splash zone area.