“Bait & Switch Pricing through Kayak.com”

Candlewood Suites East Merril Road
Ranked #69 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
“Bait & Switch Pricing through Kayak.com”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I needed a room for one night and I found Candlewood Suties on kayak.com. I filled in the ONE night I required and continued the process. AFTER my transaction went through, I got a confirmation for $52 for one night and some cryptic fine print showing what it would cost if I stayed for a month. I ignored this since I had clearly reserved for ONE NIGHT. When I arrived, a very energetic/speedy young man greeted me and asked if I would be staying for the month. I replied no, and asked him to make sure the reservation was for one night and that my card was charged accordingly. He assured me that it was. The following morning on my way to meet a new client, I dropped my card off at the front desk. The man at the desk asked me if I was checking out early and argued that I had booked for 30 days. I explained AGAIN that I had booked for one night through kayak. He became belligerent and insisted that I was responsible for a longer stay. I had to go so I explained that if he attempted to charge my card more that the $52.00, I would report it to my bank. I later checked my bank account to see that there had been an attempt to charge my account for some $209 and failed. Having suspected a problem, I had made a preemptive transfer to make sure there was not funds to cover more than the $52.00 I had agreed on when I booked. An amount for $89.00 was then charged by Candlewood Suites putting my account in overdraft. I reported this to my bank and it is under investigation. I travel extensively on business and will never again stay at a Candlewood Suites. This is unfortunate because the room was quite nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LoveTheLight
CandlewoodSuitesJax, Manager at Candlewood Suites East Merril Road, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I thank you for your detailed feedback. I am sorry to learn the third party site did not reveal rate rules to your satisfaction. I have gone over the records and verified that one night charge ($89+tax) was in accordance to rules of the reservation. If you had stayed for 30 nights at our extended stay hotel, the rate would have been $52+tax per night. For you next reservation, please call me directly at 904-744-1244 or use our toll free 800-candlewood number and I will gladly go over rates and also rules associated with each rate. I appreciate your favorable comment about our guest rooms and sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to win your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cantonment, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

For all of our travel, at least for the past 10 years, we have stayed at Candlewood Suites nationwide. This has been the worst of them. There is no hot water for taking showers. It is lukewarm at best. They charge $75 pet fee when there is a $50 fee standard for all Candlewood Suites. Customer service is poor, perhaps it is because of foreign ownership at this particular hotel. No one is at the the desk 24 hours. We went to check out at 5:00a.m. and a maintenance worker had to take down our name and room number. We saw no American employees in our 3 day stay. King suite do not have a sofa bed. It has a recliner. We do NOT recommend this Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites East Merril Road, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear avalanch07

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our staff, confusion on the pet policy and for the lack of hot water during your stay. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed here when I came to Jax to compete in a World Poker Tour event. I loved the free laundry and the 24 hour snack shop (you sign a receipt) that even had things like frozen dinners. My room was spacious and clean and had a great little kitchen area with an apartment-sized fridge, a stove top, a microwave, coffeemaker, dishes, pots, silverware and glasses. There was also a flat screen TV and a recliner. The bed was comfy and there were plenty of power outlets for my electronics. The staff was friendly and attentive and the neighborhood was quiet. There was a Publix supermarket and a Golden Corral restaurant at the end of the street. Best of all, it was a 5 minute drive to the Best Bet cardroom where the poker tournament was being held. I will definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Fort Gordon, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed overnight for our son AAU boy's basketball regional championship game. Very nice and new (a couple of years old) and has the latest of amenities. We walked to Golden Corral for dinner and walked to Publix as well. The location of this hotel is very nice and safe for any good family. Would stay here again and again!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank forevrlife
Jacksonville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

This was a spur of the moment get away. When I called with my normal million questions, the person on the phone was awesome. I booked a 2 night stay. When we got there the lobby was immaculate, the staff was more than accommodating. The owner was there also and was so very nice and friendly. They explained all the amenities from the little convenience store in the lobby to the fitness room to the free laundry. When we got up to the room it too was immaculate. Full kitchen was stocked with all the utensils and pans you needed, full size fridge. A DVD player was in the room and free DVD's in the lobby! Huge bathroom, comfy bed, oversized fluffy towels, everything was top notch! So we decided to stay on another night. Even the WI-FI was fast! We will return to this hotel. Everything about the experience was terrific!

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are great, nice and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
CandlewoodSuitesJax, Manager at Candlewood Suites East Merril Road, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your trip to Jacksonville! Our team members appreciated your comments and thank you for taking time to write the review. We look forward to see you at our Gazebo Grill!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Excellent place to stay when your traveling. They have a kitchen for your cooking needs etc. My family enjoyed it!

• Stayed June 2011
Mint Hill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I was privileged to stay two weeks here, It is a one and a half year old property,but appears brand new.Fitness room,excellent.Laundry room:clean with adequate machines, and all laundry is FREE.Very,very attentive staff.Can't do enough for you.The pool is small, but if that's the only complaint, you don't have a complaint.This place is a great value,and location is perfect for any E.Jacksonville activities,from military to academic.

Room Tip: The third floor is smoking, and the ventilation system is state-of-the-art, second and first floor r...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo