“Hotels ok, people staying are morons”

Magnuson Hotel Jacksonville Downtown
Ranked #104 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Jacksonville, Florida
“Hotels ok, people staying are morons”
Reviewed March 17, 2011

For the price, the hotel is acceptable. But the surrounding noise from the highway and the idiots peeping horns and slamming doors at 2 am makes it hard to get a good nites sleep. Walls are paper thin. Casual conversations are easily heard. Location is not a great neighborhood.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
super8central, Owner at Magnuson Hotel Jacksonville Downtown, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had at our hotel. Did you inform the front desk about the noise? They could of moved you closer to the frontdesk where its away from the road. We do hope you will choose our Super 8 again where we can make sure your stay is better. I would like to also let you know about The Historic San Marco, that is only blocks away from us. Its a really nice area with Shops and Restaurants. I do recommend going there on your next stay with us. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at (904)396-4090 and ask for Jay or via email at super8central@gmail.com. Thank you for staying at our Super 8 and we look forward to accomodating you on your next visit to Jacksonville.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Brandon, Mississippi
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We stayed two nights for the Gator Bowl. Making, keeping, and getting reservations was not easy. I had a bad feeling and kept calling to confirm reservatoins. First time I called to confrim I was told I didn't have the rooms reserved with a credit card. Second time (the day before leaving) I only had one nights reservation and was supposed to have two. When I got there, I had two rooms, one night and two different confirmation numbers. So far I have not been charged but for one room, two nights. For what we needed the rooms for, they were OK except not very clean. I don't think they swept, mopped or dusted at all. We wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel, just somewhere to sleep. The continental breakfast is what I expected, except they shut it down at 9:00am on weekends, never heard of that. But I can say the staff was very nice and friendly and we didn't have any serious problems. It worked for what we needed it for, just wish it would have been cleaner. And as far as location in relaiton to the stadium, that was AWESOME!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Valdosta, Georgia
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I booked this hotel thru Hotwire.com. My sisters and I stayed, we had to change rooms four times. The motel do not have enough equipment to for each room. Not enough T.V.s, mattess, towels, wash clothes, It was not in the downtown area. It was cheap and that is what we got. I will never stay their again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
super8central, Owner at Magnuson Hotel Jacksonville Downtown, responded to this review, November 19, 2010
I want to apologize for the inconvenience you had at our hotel. Our rooms are equipt with Iron/Iron Boards, Coffee Maker, Alarm Clock, Hairdryer, Full Cable TV with premium channel, and Mirowave and Refridgerator(based on availability). Each of our rooms have 3 sets of towels and if a guest needs more we have it at the front desk. We have New Mattress's in all rooms that were installed a year and half ago. It is unusual that you had this experience at our hotel and would like to talk to you about it. You can email me at super8central@gmail.com or call the hotel at (904)396-4090 and ask for Jay. Once again I do apologize for the inconvenience and hope we can sort this matter out.
Morrisburg, On Canada
Reviewed November 4, 2009

From the moment we checked in until we left it was really nice experience. We needed something and we were taken care of right away. Only complaint which is minor is they need an elevator or closer stairs.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Maidenhead
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Room - Clean, no issues
Location - Quite poor, no public transport, 45 min walk to central Jacksonville, no nightlife mid-week
Security - Isolated motel, good security
Wifi - in-room, excellent quality
Good service and value overall

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank villandrew
Chicago
Reviewed November 25, 2008

It was confusing finding this hotel because you have to go around another hotel to get there. When we arrived, there was a cop in the parking lot so we were wondering about the area. But we found out that he was only there to use the restroom. The rooms were nice and clean. The breakfast was ok. Waffles or something would make it better. Great rooms for the price. The hotel was close to downtown which was perfect for us. I was happy overall.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando
Reviewed September 30, 2008

After reading the other reviews, I can't believe we stayed at the same place! We stayed at this hotel form the FSU game last weekend. Thankfully it was only for one night, anymore and we would have slept in the car.

This hotel is filthy. You can smell the mildew the minute you walk in to the lobby. The room wasn't any better, the tub was dirty and the toilet barely flushed. The towels were hard and the bed linens were stained. It is in a scary part of town, right beside a bridge and near a train track. There didn't seem to be any type of security other than the occasional police cruiser that drove around. The parking lot was filled with beer bottles and cigarette butts and wasn't swept while we were there. There were drunk partiers banging on the doors until around 2:00 AM.

Needless to say, we slept on our beach towels. It was awful, but we were trapped. They charge a full night plus penalty if you try and leave. The night's cost was doubled because of the football game.

Don't go here, pay the extra $ for the Hyatt!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends