“simply the worse”

Ranked #86 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
dayton, ohio
“simply the worse”
Reviewed October 9, 2007

this was absolutely the worst stay at a hotel i have ever experienced. my sister and i went to visit our brother before he was shipped to iraq. we went to the hotel first thing where we had booked with a credit card and showed up and paid cash. the lady at the desk told me no problem took my money and we were fine and nothing would be charged to my credit card. we went to our room to find that there were no towels or wash clothes at all. i went to the desk to get some and was told they were "almost sold out the night before and didn't have any avaliable." my brother goes to get some just after i return and he comes back with an arm full of towels after making the front desk clerk go to the back to get them. the next day we found out that we were not going to be able to stay there the second night so i went to tell them that i would be checking out early and the clerk told me that my card would still be charged. i explained that i paid cash yesterday and that nothing was to be charged to my card. he explained that yes both nights had been charged to the card. demanding my money back from when i paid cash.. he told me he had no record of receiving cash from me. when i then asked to speak to a manager immediately he told me he was on vacation and there was no way to contact him. after arguing with him for 15 minutes he finally returned my money. my card was then still charged for both nights even though i was unable to stay for the second night. when i went to check out the clerk was sitting on the couch watching tv and said "oh well just leave the key at the desk"... i checked out at about 5:00pm there was no reason for him to not be at the desk. being that i work at a hotel myself, i have gained a whole new perspective on my job and will never stay at another red roof inn when i travel. i have already shared this story with my friends and family and urge them not to stay here. honestly the worst stay i have ever had.

• Liked — getting to leave
  • Disliked — the entire stay from the moment i stepped in the door
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jakkimw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed November 29, 2006

We were looking for a cheap, clean, safe, dog-friendly, close to I-95 hotel on our Thanksgiving trip from Virginia to southern Florida. This hotel nailed all of the above. The staff was extraordinarily friendly, on the phone and in person. The room was recently renovated (Red Roof is in the process of "Redesigning and Rededicating" all of their hotels) so everything looked brand new. The proximity to I-95 is fantastic, it's literally RIGHT next to the highway. There are restaurants and shopping minutes away (there's a Denny's immediately next to the hotel). The only problem was the room absolutely stunk, like someone lost their lunch. We probably could have changed rooms as their were plenty of vacancies, but we had already moved our luggage and pups in. We remedied the situation by buying some Lysol at the local Walmart which is in the same big shopping center as several restaurants and other chain stores. The desk staff was very apologetic about the smell. Despite the smelly room, I think we will definitely stay here again as we will probably be making this trip several times a year. Like the title says, it's not the Ritz, the room was "cozy", but perfectly matched what we needed. If you are looking for another I-95 Red Roof, try Florence, SC, I'm writing a review about that one next!

Stayed November 2006
2 Thank cjp2
Sacramento/Atlanta
Reviewed November 10, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for one night after a long flight before we were to drive to South Carolina the next day. We booked the reservation from California and you'd have to be about that far away to decide to stay here. The only positive thing I can say about our stay there was that the staff was friendly. For starters, before we even walked into the room we could tell it was not a place for a family by the young adults playing loud music and drinking on the balcony. Once we got in our room, everything was falling apart. Generally after a twelve hour flight, it's nice to take a shower and freshen up, however we couldn't considering taking a shower in that bathroom probably would have made us more dirty than we were before we came in. Every time someone went to the bathroom, you could hear a noise from the toliet seat, as it was about ready to crack and sink in. I would hope that reading this would make you decide to stay somewhere else, trust someone with a bad experience from this hotel, it is not somewhere you want to be.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Tips/Secrets — Yes, there's hotels across the street. Check into them.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ShelbyMelynn
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 4, 2005

We stayed at this inn the night before a very early morning flight home so that we would only be a few minutes away from the airport. The front desk staff were friendly upon check-in but that was about the only positive note. We didn’t feel especially secure about the area where the inn is located or the other customers who were staying there. The rooms need renovation and the level of cleanliness was so-so. Our best moment of the stay was when we were able to leave.

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 13, 2005

If all you need is a cheap bed that's close to the airport and I-95, this is your ticket. It had hot water, cold AC, and a TV with remote. Our room was clean, although the furniture was starting to show its age. Desk clerks were friendly. We really have nothing to complain about.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fort Pierce, Florida
Reviewed January 16, 2003

This is a basic stayover hotel. Not expensive -- our two days on separate parts of our trip averaged $40 a night -- and convenient to Route 95 and the airport.

Front desk service ranged from the warm and friendly to completely spacey, depending on the clerk. And the advertised heated swimming pool was heated to a balmy 65 degrees or so on the days we were there. Management was aware of the problem, but had not been able to get it fixed.

Rooms are clean and relatively well-maintained. If you;re lucky, you may be able to get a "business room," which has a long desk that you can use either as a desk or as a place to spread your stuff out. Either way, it's very convenient.

10 Thank tomcat33333