“Motel or Marriott?”

Ranked #59 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
New York City, New York
“Motel or Marriott?”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Firstly we stayed at this Marriott multiple times in the past and never had an issue. We choose this location, in the past, because it is near the interstate and our favorite restaurant. The location is very convenient but that is where the compliments end. When we got to our room, we attempted to turn on the lights but they did not work. Our next impression was that the room itself was dated and needed a renovation. The shower in the bathroom had mold in it, and was cracking. When we tried to obtain pillows for the sofa bed, at the front desk, we were told that they had no more pillows. So there were not enough pillows for the five of us. The beds themselves were very uncomfortable and the sofa bed had a large stain on it. As the sun rose the glare came straight into our room because there were no shades for the window. As we travel very often through Jacksonville we will make sure that this hotel is no longer on our route.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Jake M
Mike S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. I can not apologize enough for the issues you experienced during your stay here.

I can assure you that as the new General Manager of the property I have a plan in place for the items you mentioned and more. We have made great progress in a short period of time but clearly have some more items to address. I hope that the next time your are in town that you will give us another chance so that we can provide you with a much better experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 6, 2014

My family reserved a room here on our way to our destination. Upon check in the lady at the front desk was very friendly and welcoming. When we went up to our room we noticed a large stain on one of the mattresses. We immediately informed the desk and they promptly moved us to another room. When we got to our next room there was a darker larger stain on the mattress. I went to the front desk where the manager was standing and he had no help or comment for me. When I asked for a refund he did agree. It remains to be seen if the refund will show up on my card. The woman at the front desk was very helpful and even found us a room for the night. Save yourself the trouble and go elsewhere. I did leave my wallet in the first room and it was promptly returned to me by the manager.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank ldickerson
Mike S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
I appreciate your feedback about your findings. As the new general manager I value all guest feedback. I can assure you that I am addressing the items you mentioned. I apologize for the inconvenience and hope you see the credit from your third party reservation soon.
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at the hotel during some business travel and I greatly enjoyed it. The room was large and clean, the bed was extremely comfortable, and there was a large area to do business work inside of the room. The hotel is centrally located, and the staff at the front desk was amazing. Breakfast was free and great!!! We will definitely consider staying here on future trips.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Mike S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you so incredibly much for your great review of your stay at the Spring Hill Suites in Jacksonville. We take great pride and work very hard to try and deliver an excellent stay for all of our guests. Your 5 star review will be shared with the team here.

We look forward to seeing you next time.
New Mexico, United States
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We spent a week at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend. The staff was wonderful! I wish I could say the same for the rooms. We had 3 adults, a child and a toddler in a suite with 2 doubles and a pull out sofa. It was a bit cramped! Larger rooms were available, but we only learned about them midway through our stay. We woke up every morning with backaches, because the beds were way too soft. The way the furniture was arranged left a lot to be desired. Not one piece of furniture in the room was high enough to place things out of reach of our 10 month old toddler. The kitchen area was nice, but the fridge was way too small for a "suite" and it did not even have a freezer section. The breakfast bar was good, but the weekend staff could not keep up with the number of guests, so they were out of everything as soon as it was served. There should have had more help that weekend. It was much better on week days.

Room Tip: If you need a larger room, the center rooms near the elevator on each floor would be the ones to ask...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Mike S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review of your stay here at the Spring Hill Suites in Jacksonville. We appreciate all guest feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed the service my staff provided to you. However I am disappointed about the items we fell short on during your stay. I can assure you that I am addressing the items you mentioned as we speak.

In regards to room type and size we actually only have the two types of rooms which offer much more space then your standard hotel room ( 1 king bed or 2 double beds). All of our rooms have pull out couches should guests need to add a third bed to their stay. Since all of our rooms are suites, they all are the same size, with the exception of the special needs accessible rooms. I apologize for any misunderstanding. We do have several connecting rooms which may offer more space for you on your next visit.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to providing you a much better experience during your next stay.
fletcher
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This hotel has nice rooms...a little old but nice. The parking is a little tight for large vehicles but fine for cars. The location is excellent with a lot of restaurants and stores within walking distance. Driving to the hotel is a bit of a challenge because there is no turn lane into the property from the southbound lanes. Breakfast was good, but it is more expensive to stay here so that should be expected. Nothing really stood out here so I gave it an average rating, because I have stayed at less expensive hotels that really excelled at certain things. So I think my ratings are always on the low side a little because i don't want folks who read my reviews to be expecting more than what they will get...I know I wouldn't. The big PLUS for this property is that it is located in an area where you have several options of how to get out and about even if Southside Blvd. is backed up due to rush hour. There are a couple parking lots and the movie theater lot that can get you to optional roads to get to where your going. If your coming in from the south on Butler you can take the first road to the right and work your way through the theater lot to get to the hotel without having to wait for the traffic...huge plus. Like I said earlier there is an awful lot of stuff within walking distance so I would recommend this hotel...but like I say a lot (makes sense though) get a good rate.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank steve p
Mike S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you for your feedback of your stay at the Spring Hill Suites in Jacksonville. We appreciate all guest feedback. I can assure you that we are doing all we can to address some of the items that you mentioned. We look forward to your next visit so that we can provide you a great experience.
Jacksonville
Reviewed May 2, 2014

the rooms need to be upgraded. The reservation was booked a month in advance for a double bed but we received 1 king bed. The sofa was not adequate enough for sleeping accommodations. Could not accommodate a 3rd person in the room which was needed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Mike S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on TripAdvisor. As the new General Manager of the property I value all guest feedback and use it as a means of improving on the quality of service we deliver to every guest.

I truly do apologize for the mix up with your reservation. I have already addressed this matter with my team to insure that this doesn't happen to future guests. There are systems in place that prevent this and we clearly did not follow the system very well with this.

I hope to see you again next time so that we can show you a much better experience.
Alachua, Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Ok, there is no Comedy Central on the TV! How am I supposed to watch Comedy Central if it's not on the TV? I'll go ahead and list the stations at the end; you judge the channel selection for yourself.

Also, the refrigerator has no freezer section--not even the little ice storage space. Usually can get a pint of ice cream or some frozen entrees in there.

So, really, the place is fine, just those two things above irked me. Here's the channel list:
ABC
History
WGN
Weather

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mike S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. As the new General Manager of the property I always appreciate input from our guests on how we can improve on what we deliver to our guests. I will certainly relay your concerns about the channel selection to the right people.

I can tell you that as a brand we do want to provide a family friendly listing for our guests which is where we have come up with the majority of our channel selection.

Thank you again for your input and we hope to see you next time.