“Good location, adequate facilities”

SpringHill Suites Jacksonville
Ranked #39 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Orlando, Florida
“Good location, adequate facilities”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed here for two nights as I was attending a training session in the area. The room was large and adequate for its purpose. Before getting to the hotel I reviewed on the website what was included in the room features, utensils were listed. When i brought my dinner back from a to-go order one night I looked for the utensils, only to find them in the microwave with several paper plates. This didn't bother me, but I was expecting metal utensils. Would not recommend this hotel for someone on a long stay over, but it was more than adequate for the two nights I needed. My only two complaints would be that the blackout shade to my rom was torn up, luckily, I was able to close them tight enough to not let any light in through the window and second, there were no in-room safe, even though there was more than ample room for one.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Mike S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. As the new General Manager of the hotel I value all guest feedback and utilize it as a means of making our service and over all product better for every guest that stays here. I can assure you I have already addressed some of the issues you experienced.

We look forward to seeing you again so that you can have a much better experience.

Respectfully,
Mike Seigneur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hebrew first
Bartow, Florida
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Location is great - lots of shopping & restaurants nearby. We checked-in quickly and courteously around 2:15 on a Friday afternoon. Our room (410) was ready and very clean - no stains noticed and bathroom area was very bright and clean. The room is somewhat dated (formica countertops) but still very clean, in good repair, and comfortable. The bed was probably the most comfortable in which I've ever slept - soft, plush, and I actually woke up without a back ache - very rare! I wish I had looked at the mattress label so I could try to find one to purchase. Our room was quiet (I always run at least the fan for 'white noise') and lighting was very good. Also liked that there were nightstands on each side of the bed. Wish there had been a few more tv channels but we really didn't watch that much anyway. I really liked the layout of the room - bathroom nearer the bed area. The chair & sofa in the living area were very comfy and the work/desk area was nice as well. Our breakfast was good and there was constant restocking as items were used. Only complaint about the breakfast area was that it was too small. There was a small group of teen/preteen girls (swimmer/soccer?) and it was just too crowded. The food was good (esp. the waffles) and plenty of choices. I like that the english muffins, bagels, etc. were individually wrapped - kept them cleaner and fresher. The coffee (located opposite the breakfast area - next to the check-in desk) was very good!
Only one remotely negative note: On check-in - my credit card was swiped for 'incidentals.' Upon check-out there was a $27 'hold' charge on my card which I was told would 'disappear' in a day or two. I would have appreciated knowing about this charge at check-in as it is not an uncommon practice. I realize the hotel needs to have a way to protect property which could be damaged by unscrupulous guests, but would have liked to have been told about any potential charges or holds at check-in. I asked about signing anything after my card had been swiped at check-in, and was told that it was all done electronically...so I had no paperwork or signature provided. Had I not accepted the offer for the receipt, I would not have known about the 'disappearing' charge and could have been charged anything and not known until I checked my credit card charges. While I do not believe there was intentional dishonesty going on, it would 'sit' better with me to have this disclosure upon check-in - even if signing something that says - I acknowledge a $$ hold will be placed on my card along with any incidentals incurred during my stay. Just suggestion which would make this guest more comfortable with check-in/out procedure..
I would stay in this property again - esp. since it was so clean, friendly, and comfortable - as well as a great location. My room experience was excellent - only concern was nondisclosure of holding fee and small dining area. All else was a truly excellent experience. I really did like Tameka (my check-in/out hostess) she was very courteous and friendly...maybe all check-in staff could just add the disclosure thing in the future - which is the only reason I gave 'service' (below) a 'very good' instead of 'excellent' rating - otherwise - it was truly excellent..
Thanks to all the staff for an overall excellent experience. Hope to return soon as we travel to Jacksonville at least once a month to visit aging parents.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank OfChorus
Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor. We value your feedback and are pleased that you truly enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your feedback with my team.

We look forward to seeing you again
Respectfully,

Amenities: 3
Room Space: 4
Bed and Matrass : 3
Staff: 4

TIP: Book directyl at the hotel own website; usually cheaper than all the other hotel websites.

Remember that Jacksonville is a typicall car city: you need a car in this city to move around. In the direct vicinity of this hotel there are some shops and restaurants. This area of Jacksonville is very safe. Also close to the St Johns Town Center and the Avenues Mall. I stayed here 2 days with my wife and 1 year old. Everything was OK. We stayed at the back of the hotel looking at the pool and no complaints about noise or anything even though it was a Saturday Night. Matrass was a little too soft for my taste but overall I liked this hotel, the breakfast and this area in Jacksonville especially considering the price we paid.

Room Tip: Stay at the back of the hotel (facing the pool) to avoid noise from the bars and restaurants.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rogier B
Fran A, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thank you for your comments. Our mission is to ensure you had an excellent experience and received superior service from our team. We will look forward to seeing you in the future at Springhill Suites Jacksonville.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is a lovely hotel to stay in. The rooms were clean and smell fresh - the view from the window was great - easy access to bars and restaurants (if you don't have a car you can walk) - the staff were excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jerry W
Fran A, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! I will share your great comments with our team. We hope to see you again soon at Springhill Suites Jacksonville.
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed in this hotel as a stopover during our drive between where we vacationed and our home. We arrived late in the evening and were exhausted from the activities and the drive we'd made. When I arrived in the room, it was dark outside. So the first thing I did was go to the window to close the curtains. When I approached, I noticed that 2 outer sets of curtains (of which there were three levels of curtains (room darkening, and two levels of sheers)) had blood on them. The blood made us very uncomfortable and my husband called the front desk and asked for another room. The lady at the front desk told us that she had one more room that we could have if we wanted to move. We accepted it. We packed up all our things and moved to another room. When we moved to that room, some of the furniture was missing, the mattress on the sofabed had no linen on it and had a stain, the bathroom was filthy (the tub was dirty, there was hair on the floor, the floor was filthy, and there was a reddish stain on it along the wall). The king bed sheets appeared so old, as they were washed thin and wouldn't stay on the bed. When my husband sat on his side of the bed, my side popped up and when I sat on my side, his side popped up. We called the desk again and a new person was working. She came up and looked at the room and offered us a choice between two other rooms (remember there were no other rooms before). I didn't want to stay, but it was after midnight by then and we wanted to get some sleep before a long drive later that morning. We packed our things again and moved to the third room. The room we chose looked okay on the surface and the clerk gave us some clean towels when she moved us. I got into the shower and when I looked up, the ceiling was moldy. When I got out of the shower, I realized that I forgot to bring the towels the clerk gave us into the bathroom with me. I pulled down one of the towels that was on the shelf and when I started to use it, I realized that it was already damp (that was a really bad feeling). When I got out of the bathroom, my son walked on the other side of the bed he was sleeping on next to the window and complained that the carpet was wet. When I checked, the AC had been leaking. A little later, my son put the pillow he was sleeping on on the floor. I asked him why he did that and he showed me a blood stain on the pillow. At that point, it was about 1:30 am and we were all disgusted, shocked, and appalled. I was unable to sleep and the next morning none of us wanted to eat anything a that hotel (free breakfast), considering the conditions we'd experienced. So when we checked out we bought breakfast.

Even now, I wish that we'd checked out and slept in the car, rather than stay in that hotel. We left exhausted and had a very long drive ahead of us.

Before we left, I asked to speak to the manager, but could not because she was on the phone. I was told that I would get a call from her, which never happened. The day after we got home, I called Marriott and made a complaint. I was told that a hotel executive would call me back. They never did.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 658JanetS
Fran A, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
I sincerely apologize for the numerous issues you had during your stay here at the SpringHill Suites Jacksonville/Deerwood. Our goal is to provide our guests with a clean and comfortable atmosphere throughout their entire stay. I see these standards were not met during your visit and I will address this with my staff immediatley to make sure this does not happen again. Please accept my apology on behalf of our entire staff.
Vidalia, Georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Four members of our group stayed at the hotel on 12/13/2013. We left the hotel before 11:oo A.M. checkout. Upon realizing that a smartphone was left in the room, we tried 8-10 times to call the front desk. The phone call was never answered and we returned to the hotel to find that housekeeping had already stripped the beds. We asked the front desk ckerk and she inquired of the housekeeping staff but no one admitted to seeing a phone. The phone location was pinged using the lobby computer and it showed that it was still in the hotel. The phone miraculously turned up on a laundry room shelf later in the week. I certainly do not have any faith in the housekeeping crew and management team really did not seem to want to get involved in getting the phone back to the owner on that Saturday morning. No plans to ever stay or recommend this hotel. JC

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jamie C
I would first like to thank you for staying at our property. I do apologize on behalf of all of the staff members here at the SpringHill Suites Jacksonville/Deerwood. I am extremely disturbed by the way this issue was handled. I will look into this matter further and assure you this will not happen again if you choose to stay with us in the future. We strive to make sure that all of our guests feel safe and secure when staying here. These actions are unacceptable and I do hope that you accept this sincerest apology on my behalf.
Kennesaw, Georgia
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Great location, value priced, solid housekeeping staff. The check-in experience was also very nice.

Breakfast experience feels like being in a refugee camp. Dunkin Donuts nearby is a better alternative. My wife was upset at the cleanliness of the glass tumblers in the room.

I would stay there again. In fact, I go there each DEC while visiting friends in JAX.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family