“Nastiest, Worst Experience Ever!!!”

SpringHill Suites Jacksonville
Ranked #41 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed in this hotel as a stopover during our drive between where we vacationed and our home. We arrived late in the evening and were exhausted from the activities and the drive we'd made. When I arrived in the room, it was dark outside. So the first thing I did was go to the window to close the curtains. When I approached, I noticed that 2 outer sets of curtains (of which there were three levels of curtains (room darkening, and two levels of sheers)) had blood on them. The blood made us very uncomfortable and my husband called the front desk and asked for another room. The lady at the front desk told us that she had one more room that we could have if we wanted to move. We accepted it. We packed up all our things and moved to another room. When we moved to that room, some of the furniture was missing, the mattress on the sofabed had no linen on it and had a stain, the bathroom was filthy (the tub was dirty, there was hair on the floor, the floor was filthy, and there was a reddish stain on it along the wall). The king bed sheets appeared so old, as they were washed thin and wouldn't stay on the bed. When my husband sat on his side of the bed, my side popped up and when I sat on my side, his side popped up. We called the desk again and a new person was working. She came up and looked at the room and offered us a choice between two other rooms (remember there were no other rooms before). I didn't want to stay, but it was after midnight by then and we wanted to get some sleep before a long drive later that morning. We packed our things again and moved to the third room. The room we chose looked okay on the surface and the clerk gave us some clean towels when she moved us. I got into the shower and when I looked up, the ceiling was moldy. When I got out of the shower, I realized that I forgot to bring the towels the clerk gave us into the bathroom with me. I pulled down one of the towels that was on the shelf and when I started to use it, I realized that it was already damp (that was a really bad feeling). When I got out of the bathroom, my son walked on the other side of the bed he was sleeping on next to the window and complained that the carpet was wet. When I checked, the AC had been leaking. A little later, my son put the pillow he was sleeping on on the floor. I asked him why he did that and he showed me a blood stain on the pillow. At that point, it was about 1:30 am and we were all disgusted, shocked, and appalled. I was unable to sleep and the next morning none of us wanted to eat anything a that hotel (free breakfast), considering the conditions we'd experienced. So when we checked out we bought breakfast.

Even now, I wish that we'd checked out and slept in the car, rather than stay in that hotel. We left exhausted and had a very long drive ahead of us.

Before we left, I asked to speak to the manager, but could not because she was on the phone. I was told that I would get a call from her, which never happened. The day after we got home, I called Marriott and made a complaint. I was told that a hotel executive would call me back. They never did.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 658JanetS
Fran A, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

I sincerely apologize for the numerous issues you had during your stay here at the SpringHill Suites Jacksonville/Deerwood. Our goal is to provide our guests with a clean and comfortable atmosphere throughout their entire stay. I see these standards were not met during your visit and I will address this with my staff immediatley to make sure this does not happen again. Please accept my apology on behalf of our entire staff.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Four members of our group stayed at the hotel on 12/13/2013. We left the hotel before 11:oo A.M. checkout. Upon realizing that a smartphone was left in the room, we tried 8-10 times to call the front desk. The phone call was never answered and we returned to the hotel to find that housekeeping had already stripped the beds. We asked the front desk ckerk and she inquired of the housekeeping staff but no one admitted to seeing a phone. The phone location was pinged using the lobby computer and it showed that it was still in the hotel. The phone miraculously turned up on a laundry room shelf later in the week. I certainly do not have any faith in the housekeeping crew and management team really did not seem to want to get involved in getting the phone back to the owner on that Saturday morning. No plans to ever stay or recommend this hotel. JC

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jamie C

I would first like to thank you for staying at our property. I do apologize on behalf of all of the staff members here at the SpringHill Suites Jacksonville/Deerwood. I am extremely disturbed by the way this issue was handled. I will look into this matter further and assure you this will not happen again if you choose to stay with us in the future. We strive to make sure that all of our guests feel safe and secure when staying here. These actions are unacceptable and I do hope that you accept this sincerest apology on my behalf.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Great location, value priced, solid housekeeping staff. The check-in experience was also very nice.

Breakfast experience feels like being in a refugee camp. Dunkin Donuts nearby is a better alternative. My wife was upset at the cleanliness of the glass tumblers in the room.

I would stay there again. In fact, I go there each DEC while visiting friends in JAX.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I arrived at this hotel around 1:30 am (morning). I had just left another Marriott hotel where I had encountered very insensitive behavior from the front desk staff. When I arrived at this hotel I was treated with extraordinary kindness by "William and Tameka" night auditors. They were both extremely concerned about my unlikely experience and conducted themselves professionally. As an Executive Elite member I rarely stay at Spring Hill suites, however after this positive experience with "William and Tameka" I will make this hotel my first choice in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Nov 30 ,great location .when checking in fast , over kill on the holiday scent in the lobby, in the morning breakfast was very behind from the very start may be 12 or so bagels still wrap in plastic from the day before this person only works on the weekend .I hope the person during the week does better at 8.30 there was not one muffin Danish or bagel the waffle batter was out , this person needs to be trained better since the area a person has to work out of is not worker friendly . The hot tub has green alge in it . The rooms are very nice and clean .over all great stay need to work on weekend breakfast service

Room Tip: Poor service only on weekend breakfast all other very good
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This hotel was the BEST! We're looking forward to more and more visit as this same hotel! We were in the right place at the right time. Satisfied & Fulfilled meets our stay this hotel. Kudos to Tamika at the receptionist-reservation desk. She received us with a friendly and pleasant smile. our room was very clean, comfortable and quite homey, I like the design of the room. Breakfast was very good from meat, eggs, oatmeal, juice,coffee, etc. Restaurants and shops was in walking distance and we enjoyed every minute of this stay. Try it! I believe you'll enjoy it also.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed here on a biz trip early Oct 2013. Check in was good, staff very helpful. I guess our corp travel agent booked us here based on price. While my room was clean, the bathroom was borderline gross. The surface in the tub was peeling off. The faucets had some kind of funky film on them. In the room: The liner on the window curtain was torn. And (as was previously posted) the air conditioner was very, very loud.

As for getting there, be prepared to pay $70 or so if you cab it from JAX airport (I was meeting co-workers so didn't need a rental car).

I would check other hotels in the area (like the Hampton Inn next door).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business