“Opportunity lost” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Opportunity lost”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

I don't want to sound harsh, but the hotel had a chance to save this review and whiffed.

Got to my room and started to unpack when I noticed a little critter crawling on the bed sheet. Upon further inspection, it was a bed bug. Called down to the front desk and they said they would move me to another room. I figured since this is a particularly unsettling event, the hotel might go out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and put me in a upgraded room. However, they just moved me down the hall. I guess the change in view was the upgrade!

The room is fairly large, but it looks like it needs a bit of love. The furniture is old, as is the TV (not flat screen). The bathroom was bigger than most, but no mini bar in the room. The bed was comfy and I slept well.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VermontGolfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
St. Petersburg, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

I stayed at this hotel Jan. 31-Feb. 3, 2011 for a conference. It was nice. A lot of previous reviewers complained, but it was fine with me.
Pros: Friendly staff -- she noted that my room was far from the elevator and asked if I wanted one closer; I did, and she placed me on a higher floor (16 instead of 10) and right by the elevator, which was convenient and not noisy. No bellhops issues like another reviewer had. Fast check in and out. Nice linens, and comfortable bed. Quiet room (16th floor). Free WSJ daily. I didn't eat at the restaurant, but the pastries provided by the hotel during the conference were good, as was the tea. Einstein Bagels on site. Excellent location on river and a block from Jackson Landing (restaurants and shops). Apples and lemonade in the lobby. The best part was the 2.25 mile run (or 3.75, your choice) outlined on the website, that goes across one bridge, back over another, and returns along the river--wow, it was beautiful! Also fantastic view from the gym, which was well-equipped (6 mills, 6 bikes, machines and free wts).
Middle: Rooms were basic and fine. Bathroom on the larger side. A previous reviewer complained about the chairs in the meeting rooms, but I sat in them for 3 days straight, 8 hrs a day, and they were just the same as any other chair. $30 upgrade for riverview, on which I passed since this was just a business trip. The elevators were fine (another reviewer said they were musty) and the towels were bright white, large, and fluffy (another reviewer complained about them).
Cons: No refrigerator in the room; could have obtained one for $25 charge--not worth it, for 3 nights. AND a charge for Internet, which I felt was quite unreasonable, as most hotels have it for free even if they make you stand to check your e-mail.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Dear VyVy60,

We appreciate the wonderful feedback from your most recent stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville! We take pride in offering ‘authentic’ hospitality to our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future and please be sure to recommend us to your family and friends!

Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

The Hyatt Riverview is a nice downtown hotel. It is within walking distance to the Jacksonville Landing, for dining and shopping. We got a complimentary upgrade to a riverview room and only paid $60 per night on priceline, extremely satisfied with that. The room was basic but clean and the view was beautiful during the day and night. There was a wet bar type sink in the room which was great for coffee and meant we had 2 sinks to use getting dressed in the mornings. Valet parking was $20.00 per night, which seemed a bit high for the location.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Jake&Maggie,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedules to write a review on Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We were glad you enjoyed the comforts of our hotel, especially the spectacular river view. We take pride in offering ‘authentic’ hospitality to our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again and please be sure to recommend us to your family and friends!

Jacksonville, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stayed at the Hyatt Riverfront on a Friday night to see a comedy concert at the nearby Times Union Center. We got a nice government rate, but the bargain stopped cold there. We called ahead to see if any room had a microwave, as we were bringing some finger food for a quiet gathering with our friends before the show. The hotel advised us that they could bring us a refrigerator for $25 a night, and a microwave for $40 a night. We were really tempted to stop and by a $40 microwave on the way in just to make a statement... but I wasn't allowed.

We arrived to find the lobby parking area to be a mess of vehicles. We were prepared for the $20 per day valet charge ($15 self park, but don't be thinking you'll get a luggage cart), and we planned to use bell service as well. So the waiting began. First we were directed to get checked in first (by a bell service rep who demanded to hold our car key), so we went inside and waited for about 15 minutes to check in. After a pleasant and easy check-in, we went back out to claim our bags and get the car taken care of. It took a couple of minutes for a bellman to get to us. He quickly loaded our bags onto a cart. I asked about the car, and the gentleman directed me to the valet window, which was unoccupied. I waited for a minute or two, reclaimed my key from the bellman, and left to go to the room with the bellman. BUT WAIT... he wasn't a bellman at all. He was a doorman. He took me to the bell stand, and handed us off to a different, so he could take us upstairs. Another guy, another tip.
Otherwise? A pleasant stay. The carpet in our hallway (15th floor) was a bit worn. There was a bit of a moldy smell in the hallway. The view was incredible, and well worth the upgrade to the river side. Our friends on the 4th floor had a phone that wouldn't work, and a fan blowing the moldy smell around in the hallway.

Our room was basic, with upscale bedding and furniture. The "balcony" is only a sliding door with a substantial rail to keep you from falling over. Every other room on this floor had about 6 inches of balcony you could negotiate if you were determined.

We used the free shuttle (supposedly good for a 3 mile area). It consists of a cabbie that hangs around to get the trips for tips. He "recommends" $2 per person for the service, which was ok with us.

Check out was even worse. I first went to try to get a cart so we could begin to organize our load of stuff, but no way in he LL will they let you have one of those carts even for a minute. You might beat one of the 12 guys lined up out of their tips. So once we got organized, I called the desk and asked for bell service and to have our valeted car brought around. The bellman was about 5 minutes getting there (fine), and helpful on the way down. Then came the doorman/luggage loader. He parked our bags right in the middle of the way of the main door in and out, and disappeared while we waited for our car. And waited... and waited. 20 mins later I inquired, and the lady in the little both gave me a sharp "NOBODY CALLED ME!". 5 mins later the car arrived. Meanwhile the bell captain had disappeared, and about 8 cars had clogged the way in, including a large SUV blocking the entrance. Those folks had left the car and gone inside (tired of waiting no doubt). So I'm lobbying the bellman to take us out in the street to our car and load us up, but no dice. Another 5 of scrambling around, and a pocket full of tips later (bellman, doorman, valet), we were out of there. See ya.

I've stayed in some fine hotels before, and I am quite used to the bellman being my buddy. Help with the bags, arrange for the car, show me the room, answer my questions, and EXPEDITE my arrival departure. This Hyatt's multi-tipping system slows you down considerably. I frankly assumed it was a union shop, but the bellman said that there were not unionized.

Everyone but the parking lady was nice, while they were shaking my by the ankles, but the shoddy, expensive service was a black mark on an otherwise lovely outing.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank zjxtinpusher
Dear zjxtinpusher,

Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville. We were sorry to hear that our hotel was not up to your expectations. We strive on providing 'authentic' hospitality and in your case; we were not able to deliver. If you would like to discuss your stay in a more private matter, please feel free to contact the hotel directly.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

I've stayed here for 2 nights and things have been okay until I find out that the towels on top of the shelf have not been cleaned. When I pulled out one of them, so much dust came off with it and I had to change my entire clothes and take a shower again. This is NOT acceptable for any hotel, and that's why I am writing a review for future travelers. This was very disappointing, and I would not visit this hotel ever again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hdl_jb
Dear hdl_jb,

I am sorry to hear of your recent experience at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville. This is not what guests should come to expect while staying with a Hyatt property. If you would like to discuss your stay in a more private matter, please feel free to contact the hotel directly. We would be happy to further look into this. Thank you.

Syracuse, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

I will never stay at a hyatt again. The Maid stole my computer and a book. They have video of maid cleaning my room. She was the only person to enter my room, I guess my computer walked away by itself. Nothing was done by mangement. I was told she was a good maid had been for six years. Well maybe that is why she is stealing because she is still a maid after six years. They had the nerve to offer me a bottle of wine like that would make me feel better!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dontstay10
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
We are sorry that you are unsatisfied with the resolution of your claim. Please feel free to contact the hotel, or your assigned adjuster with our insurer, to address any concerns you may have.

Thank you ~ Hyatt Regency Jacksonville
Wroclaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

I was in Jacksonville for a conference held in this hotel. The hotel itself is very nice and in a very good location (my room was at the 12th floor and it was facing the river, so I had a nice view).
I had little time during lunch breaks, but it was quick to go to the food court located 10 min walking distance from the hotel.
There are a few pubs/clubs nearby the hotel (max 5 min walking distance) and we could enjoy them during the weekend.
A couple of negative notes:
- I called the reception twice to have more info about high speed access but nobody replied
- On the second last day in the morning I left my suit in the room with the proper form filled for having it dry cleaned, but nobody took it. I called the dry cleaning service but nobody replied.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, December 3, 2010
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review on Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We were glad you enjoyed the comforts of our hotel, especially the spectacular river view. We were also glad to read that you were able to experience some of Jacksonville's hot spots while in town. The management team at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront would like to apologize for a few of your issues that occurred during your stay, although we are glad it did not ruin your entire experience.

Thank you again for your positive comments and we hope to see you again in the near future, whether for business or leisure.