“Filthy and over priced”

Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront
Ranked #11 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed during a sporting event weekend. So the hotel doubled their rates with a 2 night minimum. This seemed "acceptable" yet we expected good to great service. When we checked in to our room, it appeared at first glance it was clean and ready for check-in. However, the toilet was covered in fecal matter and the bed, while made up, hadnt been changed. The sheets were covered in pubic hair and crumbs. Hair shouldnt but crumbs certainly dont survive laundry. It was vile and disgusting. They did move us to a new room, but our faith wasnt restored...along with ANY of our money. Not even a free breakfast! In addition, they were charging for coffee in the lobby in the morning. A real cash grab. Terrible operation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear btnusa,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We apologize for the inconvenience you received during your stay. Please know that this is an anomaly. At Hyatt we take great pride in our hotel and the service we provide. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Checked in for one evening on 12/26. I selected this hotel being that I am a passport member and try to stat with Hyatt whenever I can for points, etc. Reviews seemed decent and views/location seemed nice. I called in a few hours before stay for a last minute stay and went with a Regiency (sp?) room because it included the view and access to bfast + lounge. The landing is a short walk away.

It was a cold night so I decided to go with valet for $20.00. (only $5 more than self park which itself is vary pricey for JAX I believe). Not sure if Jacksonville is typically this dead or if it was the cold but boy were the streets dead. It was only maybe 9pm and there was absolutely nothing going on around hotel.

Checkin was smooth. Unfortunately I was told as I was checking in that the Regiency (sp?) Lounge was closed and that I could come to main lobby for breakfast. Basically not sure why I paid for this room to begin with as the price was higher and there was basically no perks. Might as well gone with a cheaper room w/view and I was given no discount, etc.

Additionally, the Jaxx Sports bar was closed for some reason. (one of the reasons I chose hotel). Being it was 9 pm, I asked where I could go for dinner and was told most places would probably be closed soon. (at 9pm? really Jax?). Luckily Currents restaurant in Hotel was still open so had dinner and drinks there. Waitress was great.

The room itself was cozy. Don't really have any complaints. The view was great as advertised. Windows open up which was nice. The bed was extremely cozy. No noise could be heard from the outside. Great night sleep.

The following morning, house keeping woke us up at 8AM. This was very frustrating as we were on vacation and trying to enjoy our sleep. Not sure why they decide to just come into our room especially so early. To make matters worse, they knock again at around 10 AM. I advised them that we would be checking out shortly and the lady just waited outside out room. We felt rushed out.

I did manage to go check out the rooftop Pool. Not sure what went on that night but everything seemed trashed. No one was up there and all the furniture just was thrown around.

Pros-

Cons-
Parking fees
Wireless internet fees
Housekeeping will come into you room. Make sure to put up Do Not Disturb

Overall not sure If I would stay again. The fees racked up and the stay itself was pricey. I can see where it might be good for a business stay but for leisure there just isnt much to do. Im also still a tad upset about paying extra for a regiency room for no reason.

Room Tip: If selecting a Regiency room, make sure lounge is actually open. Call ahead to make sure restaurant...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guyver2077,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. Hopefully the next time you are in Jacksonville, it won’t be over a holiday week so you can see just how wonderful our city really is, especially during special event weekends. We appreciate your loyalty to Hyatt and hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Though we stayed at the Hyatt for a pricey rate during the Gator Bowl, the hotel amenities were all lovely. Rooms are recently updated and the lobby is chic. My son became ill late in the evening and the housekeeping manager and staff who came to help were really nice and helpful. While amenities are important, nothing makes an impression on me more than the quality of the staff.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear ALspicemom,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront during Gator Bowl. We are so pleased you enjoyed our wonderful staff. If you are ever back in Jacksonville, we hope you will choose Hyatt again.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I remember the axiom for a successful business "Location, Location, Location...". This hotel is close to the civic center of Jacksonville, Florida. However, it is a awful location for after work activity. That said, I'll review the property and everything else about it.

I arrived at the hotel early evening. It took about a 30 minute taxi drive from the airport. There were eight people on line prior to me, and two registration stations were open. The on-duty manager (Tom) opened another registration line where I was promptly greeted, registered and sent to a (requested) high floor. THe lobby was clean, there was plenty of sitting area and the elevators were quick.

I got to my floor and was surprised at the size of the floor plan. It looked like a scene out of "Vertigo" (just look at the picture) the hallway goes on forever!

The room was sparsely decorated. Furniture was old and typical: twin beds, desk, chair and lamp. The TV was a cathode ray tube from the early 1980's.

The view from the room was positively awful. Thanks for the view of the nuclear power plant. Exactly what visitors want. As a Hyatt Club member this was less than a pleasant experience.
Bathroom was bright, clean, and large enough to move around. The floor staff were great and responsive to requests.

Getting back to the location. On the ride from the airport buildings had bars on the windows, vagrants littered the streets, a transportation center a few blocks from the hotel had unappealing characters walking about.

The conference room was large and easy to get to.
All in all, this was a modestly priced location but not worth the trip, get ina get out.

Room Tip: Get a river view, and demand it...

Dear ChiefJack,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. I apologize that our hotel was not to your standards. Please know, we appreciate your business and hope you will give our hotel a second chance. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, please contact me directly. I also wanted to let you know that we have upgraded all of our TVs in the guestrooms and for a little extra; you could have booked one of our view rooms overlooking the St. Johns River.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

I am sorry to give this hotel a 2 but that's what it deserves. The service and location is amazing but hotel is outdated.

As I am Diamond member I have never had such a small and outdated room as I have ever had at a Hyatt. Room was old and there were some previous guests hairs in the bathroom which is always my favorite.

Not sure why this is branded a Hyatt any more. Hyatt's standards would never classify this as a Regency. I would recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank AlanLongBeach

Dear AlanLongBeach,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We are glad you enjoyed our amazing location and staff; however sorry to hear our hotel was not up to your expectations. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

River side location for the Hyatt means it is well located for restaurants nearby and has a walking path that seems well used.

The hotel is well appointed and modern as you would expect from the brand. The room was spacious with a good sitting area, desk with comfortable chair and decent sized bathroom. In-room wifi was very spotty though and I never got connected with either my laptop, iPad or iPhone.

In the bar, wifi was excellent. With low occupancy, the hotel's restaurants scale back their operations, including the Einstein bagel shop behind the hotel.

Breakfast buffet was very good with an excellent selection of hot and cold items. Good coffee too.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms tend to be as far away from the elevator as possible which is nice. This however might...
1  Thank spbutterworth
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Spbutterworth,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here for a week with my husband and baby while attending a training. This is very much a conference hotel, meaning that the lobby is pretty, the rooms are average, and you pay for every little thing. Notably, refrigerators and microwaves are not included! You can have one brought to your room, but you have to pay for it (although really $25 for the week wasn't bad).

One touch I was not expecting was that they provided baby shampoo, soap, powder, and even a little rubber ducky along with the crib (which was provided at no extra cost). I received a standard wooden crib at first, but called to have it changed to a pack and play, which was clean and in excellent condition. Also the staff were the friendliest I have ever dealt with in a large chain hotel.

My room (the 10th floor) was due for some updating (bathroom caulking was breaking up, closet door didn't roll on the track, etc.), but the view of the bridge was very nice. My husband enjoyed the sauna and hot tub. The conference facilities were the usual. The part that I could not tolerate was the absolutely vile water. I know there isn't much the hotel can do about the municipal water, but perhaps they could at least filter the water they serve during meetings? It was undrinkable. I ended up with a headache some days because I could not stomach the water or the $4 for Aquafina.

Room Tip: The bridge over the river is lovely at night.
1  Thank infiknitty

Dear Infiknitty,

Thank you for taking time to post a review regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We are so glad you enjoyed our special touches when it came to your baby. At Hyatt we strive to provide authentic hospitality and it sounds like our staff delivered. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay with us.