“On the banks of the St. Johns River”

Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront
Ranked #11 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Coral Gables, Florida
“On the banks of the St. Johns River”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed last month on a business trip which coincided with the Jacksonville Jazz Festival. While downtown Jacksonville obviously suffers from the same ills as most American inner core cities, the city merchants and government with the jazz festival sponsorship and the Hyatt with its hospitable and polite staff in a very well-kept property are both doing their best to attract locals and visitors alike. Location right by the river (great views!), attractive hotel dining venues, and location right by the Jacksonville Landing (a struggling waterside shopping/dining attraction similar to many around the country but with an interesting maritime museum!) made for a pleasant setting for my meeting. Granted, I did my homework on the history of the city before going (hotel is built right over the old riverside shipping docks!), and its nearby museum attractions (science and excellent local history), a Skyrail elevated downtown transit system, and the grand and historic Jacksonville passenger train terminal now used as a convention center. The bowls of free samples of Florida oranges at the hotel front desk added a nice touch!! Oh, yes - the meeting facilties - adequate, efficient and spacious as would be expected from a Hyatt.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Dear ciscokid23,

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront for your home away from home while on business. We were glad to hear you enjoyed all that Hyatt Regency Jacksonville has to offer, especially our magnificent views and services. You also chose a great weekend to visit the city. The Jazz Festival is renowned and growing every year.

EAM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
BC
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Stayed here for a three day conference. The rooms don't have wifi -- you have to pay an extra $15 per day to hardwire to the lamp on the desk. Parking is extra, and across the street. They won't let you use the baggage carts -- you have to get a kid to do it, and pay him a tip. There is no wifi in the meeting rooms -- one of the other companies there had to have it -- the hotel charged them $250 to install a hardwire connection at their table. The restaurant was nice, but expensive for a family. OK for a business person, putting it on an expense account. Room service -- prices expensive plus a delivery fee plus 20%. The person who delivered it still expected a tip.

Nit-picking now, but fair considering the price -- the pillows were all really thick. Folks who like a thin pillow may have to fold up a towel, like I did.

But the place is nice -- no argument there. Nice riverfront walk right outside the front door. The staff are all friendly and helpful. But be prepared to pay dearly for it, and for every little extra.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear steveinvictoria,

Thank you for sharing comments regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We were disappointed to hear we did not exceed your expectations. In regards to wireless internet, the hotel is in the process of installing wireless in all guestrooms. The process should be completed by the end of June.
Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Attended a conference and stayed here and found the staff to be extremely courteous and helpful. The lodging rooms are showing some signs of age but were clean and comfortable. It is close to Jacksonville Landing and water taxis to take you across the river. The conference rooms were large. There is a nice fitness area and pool are nice with a great view of the city.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I love two things. Good hotel bargains and beaches. With the other half visiting family I decided to try a trip to Cumberland Island, Sea Island and Jekyll Island. Cumberland a rustic, forested island just off of the coast of South Georgia that you get to by ferry. To be close by for the morning of my adventure, I decided to spend the night in Jacksonville. Having lived there before, I wanted the JT Butler area where I knew the hotels were midline (Hampton, LaQuinta, Holiday Inn Express, etc.) Although the hotels were ranging from $65 to $90, I wanted something less than $50 before taxes that was still decent. I hopped on Priceline, but all of my bids failed. I expanded beyond the JT Butler area as I incrementally increased my price. I finally got one, not in JT Butler, but at the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverboat. Yes, shocked me too before I'd realized that I'd added downtown as one of my expansion areas. I usually intentionally avoid downtowns because you have to pay parking and the upper end hotels are usually in densely crowded areas. But no, I'm not complaining.

Here's what I found:
Parking - Yes, you have to pay to park at the hotel. It is about $15 for self parking at a garage next door and $20 for valet. Since I lived here before, yes I am cheap, I called a friend who let me park my car at their place after my check-in and I walked several blocks back to the hotel.

Internet- Wi-fi is usually never free at upscale places. That applies here too.
Only ethernet in the room and there is a stiff charge for it. So I'm in the lobby where wi-fi is free.

Location:
As the name says it is on Jacksonville Riverfront as a part of the downtown area. There is a great view of the two nice looking bridges (photo) and my little walked revealed a couple of small local restaurants and some nice club activity. On this Thursday night, downtown is not very active, although I understand the weekend gets better. There are benches across from the hotel so you can look at the water and activities.

The outside of the building appears to be well maintained, although I think up could use a little updating.

Lobby:
The lobby is very large with several areas for sitting. It is well lit and reasonably quiet although there was a firemen convention going on and some Delta Airlines crew employee 'crashing' (uh, checking in for a night sleep) when I settled in.

Room:
You don't really expect to find an unkept room in a Hyatt and I did not. It was much larger than I expected and it had two beds. The beds were the kind that make you think you'll fall asleep and never want to get up. Although the furnishings met the perception, I felt that they too needed a little upgrade. The carpet was nice and clean and the bathroom was well supplied.

Other than to two things initially mentioned I really can't find anything really wrong here. Of course my mind might be clouded because I got a top tier hotel unexpectedly at a price that I expected to pay for a mid-level one. Now, if you asked me would I have intentionally sought out this place based on its normal rates which the web quotes as about $149 a night, the answer would be "no". Do I think it is worth that price? Yes, especially if you were having an event down here. But I would not pay it. Remember, I'm cheap.

Final Say:
This hotel is in a great spot for downtown activity, the front desk staff were nice and didn't treat me like a cheap guest, even if I am.

I took photos immediately before I messed everything up. Here are some attached.

Room Tip: Roadside hotel coupons are my preferred method.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Lifetraveler1
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 9, 2011

The location of the property is fantastic it look right over the river and is within walking distance of several restaurants. Rooms need to be renovated and cleaned much better than they were when I stayed in May. I moved the decorative pillow to find a hair on the pillow below, and then pulled back the sheets to find more hair. It appeared the sheets had not been changed from the previous guest. I called the front desk and they send someone up to change the sheets within 10 minutes. Also you can only get wireless internet in the lobby which is very inconvenient for a business traveler.

Room Tip: Ask for Riverfront
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear ItsAboutTheTravel,

Thank you for sharing comments regarding your most recent stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We were glad to hear you enjoyed our magnificent location and view! We were however disappointed to know, we did not exceed your expectations. The information you wrote will be shared with the appropriate department. In regards to our wireless internet, the hotel is in the process of installing wireless in all guest rooms. This project be completed by mid-June. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, please contact the hotel directly.

We hope you will give Hyatt Regency Jacksonville a second chance!

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My brother and wife didn't want to leave theri rom with the to die for view.
Very nice room and restaurant.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Bayonnewilliam,

Thank you so much for the positive comments regarding your previous stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We were glad you enjoyed all that Jacksonville has to offer, especially our magnificent views and services. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future and please be sure to recommend us to your family and friends!

Best Regards,

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2011

This was very convenient to all the activities of the Jacksonville Jazz Festival. It was great to have the jam session downstairs.
The kiosk sign-in was smooth and easy except it failed to pick up the extra day we booked a week before we arrived. As a result we were locked out of our room when we returned after the festival Sunday evening. No big deal just needed a new set of keys. However our room wasn't serviced either. Three requests for water and coffee went unheeded. However, the front desk staff adjusted our bill at check out and apologized for the inconvenience.
I wonder if the architects and engineers who "connected" the garage to the hotel are the same as the ones who "designed" the platforms for the Tube in London. There is absolutely NO WAY to pull your wheeled bags from the garage to the hotel without navigating several stairs. Going to the ground floor is not a solution as there is no crosswalk or curb cuts. In a driving rain, like the one that struck when we arrived the skywalk provided no shelter from the rain. Thankfully we are able to carry bags up or down a flight of stairs to get to the skywalk. How do you accommodate someone who's in a wheelchair? A ramp would be better than a triple wide stairs.

Room Tip: River view rooms afford a view of the Blue Bridge.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple