“"Clean, Comfortable, Convenient, and at the Right Price!"”

Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites
Ranked #54 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Boise
“"Clean, Comfortable, Convenient, and at the Right Price!"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2009

I got this room through Hotwire for just over $50 which included all taxes and fees. Actually, I think you can do just as well through the hotel's website. Anyway, a free shuttle to the airport is provided which was my main reason for selecting this hotel. The room was very comfortable and clean and the hotel staff was very accommodating. It's also within walking distance to area restaurants, other hotels, and convenience stores although a short part of the walk is not on sidewalks. The only drawback was my wife not having very hot water for her shower. When I showered later, however, there was plenty of hot water so I'm assuming her experience was one of those momentary ones. I'd certainly stay here again based on this one stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
Florida City, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

This hotel is located close to the JAX airport and offers seven nights of free parking with one night paid stay there. It was perfect for us as we had an early flight out of Jacksonville. The room was very small--included a bed and nothing else. Even the TV was mounted from the ceiling to save space. A standing armoire was the room's closet space. Free breakfast was included, and the hotel calls a free shuttle whenever you need transport to or from the airport.

• Liked — Convenience to airport and free parking
  • Disliked — Very small room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

This was my third stay at the Jacksonville Plaza hotel. I want to post some of my criticisms so that the public is aware of a few things - mainly to avoid disappointment rather than to be turned off or away. Again, this hotel is still the BEST value in the area.

First of all, the hotel's name "Jacksonville Hotel & Suites" seems to be a misnomer. There is no evidence on their website or elsewhere that there are actually suites located at this property; just one queen bed or two queen beds.

That being said, the rooms with two queens do seem cramped, while the rooms with a single queen seems a bit larger. There just isn't a lot of room here - almost identical in style to Microtel.

My second issue is with their amenity fee. They charge $2.50 above room rate for an amenity fee. Other than what you would expect at any other motel (ie: clean bed, clean bathroom, towels, soap, shampoo), and even when you throw in perks like a microwave and fridge, I think of amenities being something like a pool, or fitness center. To be fair, if you can actually get to use it, there is a public computer and printer available. I just wish they (and everyone else who practices this pricing philosophy) that non-optional charges be included in the cost of the room.

My third issue is, again, somthing that I find quite common in most motels/value hotels. They don't want to pay $1 for an alkaline 9v battery for their alarm clock backup. Had I relied on only my room's alarm clock during my stay this past weekend, I would have overslept, as the power cut off for about 1 minute. A small price to pay for customer service - $100 a year or so? Half my amenity fee?

Finally, this hotel is quite blatant about tipping. They want you to leave it in an envelope with the housekeeper's name on it and then turned into the front desk as opposed to leaving a couple bucks on the pillow. To me, that sounds like a manager who wants a bit too much control over gratuities.

Over all, though, this hotel is, again, one of the best values in Jacksonville. I wouldn't recommend it for extended stays or with more than just two or three persons. But I've stayed there with my family of four and by myself a couple of times and haven't been less than comfortable.

• Liked — Very Clean, Very Consistent.
  • Disliked — Still a very small room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
redli0n
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2008

We booked this hotel after reading the reviews here on tripadvisor. The hotel was clean and conveniently located near I-95. The hotel was also down the road from some shopping. The staff was courteous and helpful. For instance, I needed directions to a restaurant and the desk clerk printed them out so I didn't have to look it up. Very nice!! Would stay here again!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — size of rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

If you are looking for a cheap stay and don't care about the atmosphere or amenities then you might like this place. For a room with two double beds, it was about $66 including tax. The price might give you a little insight on what type of hotel it is. I only stayed here for the night. I flew in from DC and arrived much earlier than my friends who were flying in from Pittsburgh, so I had spent more time here than my friends. I was a little grossed out to spend a few hours by myself in the hotel. I didn't feel comfortable. The furniture was old and out of date. The sheets were a mint green color and the wall paper was out of date too. I had killed two bugs, during the few hours that I stayed there...a silverfish and a spider. Luckily, I brought a little travel pack of Clorox wipes, which I used to wipe things off, such as the desk, the sink, the t.v. remote, etc. The toilet didn't flush that well and clogged the first time that I had flushed it. When I told the hotel staff, they had taken care of it right away. The sheets had a few faint stains on them. I also try to take a peek at the matress when I go to a hotel to see if they are old or decent looking...the matress was pretty decent...not yellow or old looking, which made me feel a little better. This hotel is located in an area where there are a dozen other hotels. I was disappointed that my friend had booked this hotel and not any one of the others in the area. It seemed like this hotel was the only one that didn't have a pool. You could also tell that it wasn't one of the nicest in the area. There was a courtyard Marriott across the street that looked nice and new. I would have rather spent more money to stay there since we would have been splitting our hotel bill 4 ways. Take a look at my pictures to see what you think. Seriously, there were other known chain hotels around that I would consider before making a reservation here.

• Liked — convenient location to airport (2 miles away), free shuttle service to hotel/airport
  • Disliked — there were other hotels that I would have chose first, only convenient to airport and nothing else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank kristy805
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2008

This hotel was included in an Expedia package with a flight, so the additional cost was less than $100. I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was definitely "no frill," but the room and sleeping accommodations were clean and very comfortable.

The breakfast was more than ample - and the supplied hotel transportation on the mark.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good night's sleep - and conveniece to the J'Ville airport.

• Liked — Cleanliness, convenience and price
  • Disliked — Rather remote from shopping, etc.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Noisefree
haverhill, ma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2008

The lady that claims she loved the size of the room is obviously being fecicious, because this was the tiniest hotel room I have ever been in my whole life and my husband and I do A LOT of traveling. Perhaps it's their way of preparing you for your cruise ship cabin because our cabin on the ship was BIGGER than their hotel room, I SWEAR to you, I'm NOT exaggerating. The hotel is very inexpensive and the staff was nice, but I'd never stay again - WAY too small.

• Liked — Front Desk Staff
  • Disliked — Room Size
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family