“Rooms, lobby, and parking lot are all small”

Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites
Ranked #63 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Locally owned and run and very clean but rooms are small. And note if you absently plug in 1 or 2 adults and forget about listing your kids, you are very likely to end up with a small room with one double bed. Watched this happening to the guest checking in before me. She was offered to upgrade her room to two doubles for $10 per night but she wasn't happy.
I bought the room through Hotwire. Prepaid does not include an "Amenities" fee of about $2.80 per room per night. No pets are allowed. Hallway is on inside of building. The free breakfast offered is below average.

• Stayed: March 2013
Leah K, General Manager at Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

It is our number one priority to provide clean and comfortable accommodations at a very reasonable price. We have the BEST value in town. For the rate that we offer you will never get the amenities that we have from our competitors. We have 108 parking spots for our 100
rooms. Our hotel was recently renovated in September 2012. We have 3 room types to choose from based on your needs. We have a "Queen" size bed not "one double" that can accommodate up to 2 adults, 2 Queen size beds, that can accommodate up to 4 people and a King room that has a pull out sofa. Rates start in the lower $40s!! All of our rooms have flat screen TV, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer, and an alarm clock/telephone with mp3. The amenity fee of $2.50/night covers the following hotel amenities: continental breakfast, (which includes unlimited coffee/tea 24 hours a day, 4 assorted fruit juices, milk, bagels, toast, assorted cereals, muffins, oatmeal, bananas, oranges, and apples) unlimited access to wireless internet through out the building, unlimited use of the business center (which includes copy, fax and print), 24 hours airport shuttle, access to the fitness center and coin laundry, and up to 7 days of free parking. All of these are included in the $2.50 amenity fee per night.

If you think, you are not getting a deal for what we offer, I hope you find a better value in the price range that you paid!

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Needed a nice safe hotel for a few hours on our road trip. Clean rooms, nice staff members. Didn't have time for the free continental. Close to highway made for easy lication. No complaints. The hotel is nothing fancy but for the price it was all we needed

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is close to both I95 and the airport, and offers free shuttle and parking. The rooms are very nice for a moderately priced motel and the staff very helpful and friendly. Would I stay there again?? You bet.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed for 1 night to catch the Fascination Cruise the next day. I will say considering this a 2star hotel i was expecting the WORSE! They surprised me b/c the rooms was as pictured, pretty clean for a 2star, nice TV on the wall. The breakfast was just Continental but looked clean and edible. The airport shuttle was very convenient for us as we did not arrive until about 10PM. We also used there round-trip cruise ship shuttle...very convenient! Dropped us off at the port and picked us up at the port afterwards and dropped us off at the airport...no problem! I also realized i left my wallet in one of the rooms when i was at the port and the shuttle driver took me back to the hotel where an employee (a guy), idk his name, retrieved my wallet and to my surprise NOTHING was missing. I really appreciate them going over and beyond for there guest. I will stay here again if i am sailing.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor and did not have any noise problems or other complaints i read. PS: Wa...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2013

For $41, room, internet and airport shuttle. No frills and clean. The hotel is close to the airport. There are restaurants that deliver and you can walk to Subway restaurant. 2nd floor has a laundry room and small cardio gym.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My family and I just recently stayed 3 nights at the Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites.
We first stayed in room 201. Now this first room the beds are very nice and comfortable. No real problems with this room. We payed the coupon rate for this room of $39.99 plus a an amenity fee of $2.50 added on to the rate. With tax it cost like $48.80 a night. On our 2nd night we had to move to room 212 as our other room had been reserved. We had to pay $93.00 for our 2nd room for Saturday night. Now I normally don't complain but the front desk person said oh it's higher because of a cruise that's about to go out and the people that stay there use this hotel. The other hotels in the area were cheaper. Best Western &79.00 plus tax. The Red Roof Inn $61.00 a night. But these hotels first hold the amount and then charge the amount again when you check out. They say it's the Bank's fault when you use your debit card but that's a lie. They are the one's holding this amount not your bank. So basically you're out $148.00 for usually 3 to 5 business days until the hold amount drops off. So that's why we stayed that night at $93.00 because they charge the amount right away. NOT WORTH THAT RATE!! I also had no choice as I just recently started a job and didn't want to have to worry that my family would have to hang around until 3pm to check into another place. Paltry breakfast. Only bagels, cereal and stale dry muffins. The juice is okay. Orange, juice drink.(not true orange juice)apple juice(my kids liked that)and cranberry juice.(my wife liked it)24 hour coffee. No real space to eat breakfast.
Okay our second room had several issues. The microwave door sounded like it was broken when you tried to open it. It did work but sounded broken. The bathroom door didn't close. I did mention these issues and the maintenance person was nice and said it was due to the fact that they just recently changed their carpet and he would have to remove the door once we checked out.
Poor water pressure in the shower and the water had a sulfur smell to it. It seems like all the hotels in the area have that smell.
Plenty of cable tv channels and a nice flat screen tv on the wall.
This was a Microtel hotel and the did a nice job renovating the rooms. No more mirrors behind the bed. New beds, new tvs. They just need to improve some of these minor issues and at least charge a comparable rate to the chain hotels.
They also need more parking as they let people park their cars when they take a cruise. This leave little parking space for those that need the space that are actually staying.
We also had a rude family next to us the last night in room 212 stomping and opening and closing the door letting it bang. I should have called the front desk and normally do but was too tired. Overall an average stay. Might stay again but trying to get into our own place now that we have relocated to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor and side facing the parking lot. Don't take a room facing the hotel in the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Leah K, General Manager at Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

We're sorry to hear about the very minor problems this guest experienced during their stay. We cannot always offer coupon rates to our guests. If our occupancy is high the rates go up accordingly. It's the 'law' if supply and demand. Why did the guest extend at a rate he didn't think was worth the value? Was it because he didn't want his family to have to wait until 3pm to check into a cheaper hotel? No, it's because sometimes convenience is value.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

After I picked up my luggage at the airport, I called for the shuttle. It arrived in about 10 min, which is reasonable. The hotel is close to the airport. I stayed in a room with a queen size bed. I would recommend this hotel because:
- The room was clean.
- The bedding smelled fresh.
- Good TV channel variety.
- They provide soap, shampoo, conditioner.
- The room had a microwave, small fridge, and coffeemaker.
- The breakfast selection included apples, oranges, muffins, cereal, juice, milk. The coffee machine in the breakfast area is available 24 hours.
- Check-in and check-out were fast.
For the price I paid for the room, you can't beat it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

We appreciate your time and effort sharing your hotel experience on this website. We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you so much for writing a much detailed review. This will greatly help other travelers to decide which hotel they will pick in Jacksonville area.

Thank you for choosing the Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites! We look forward to your next visit.