“Not a bad airport hotel”

Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites
Ranked #53 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Saddle River, NJ
“Not a bad airport hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

This is a decent motel located close enough to Jacksonville Airport to get there within an hour of takeoff. It is clean, quite and has a convenient breakfast selection. The room we were in was relatively small, so I would not select this for more than a place for a short term crash. I would highly recommend this motel for someone looking for an inexpensive short term stay for an airport layover.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
Pickens, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night, but the second night went to different hotel. Review wise this was an okay place to stay. The bed and pillows were comfortable and room service was adequate. We stayed here 2 nights in advance for our cruise. The bathrooms were exceptionally clean and we were provided with clean towels/wash clothes twice in the day during room service. The mirror on the wall behind the bed was very neat I thought, but the furniture and color was a bit outdated. Nothing that would sacrifice comfort. For my wife and I the price was nice for the sleep comfort. The next night a thunderstorm knocked out half the power in the building. The south being known for it's humid summers it got hot very quickly in our room. We opted to go to a different hotel. The manager was very apologetic and gave us a refund for our second night. I now wished the power had stayed on and we would have stayed here, but it was a bad choice to leave.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

We stayed her before we left on out cruise because it was cheap and close to the cruise port. It was decent enough just fort he one night but if we were to stay for any longer than that I would not recommend staying here, the rooms are very time and very outdated. There was just my husband, 3 year old and I in the room and we felt very cramped.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

I'll be completely up front and say the only reason I booked a reservation at this hotel was because of the price. It was a fairly cheap hotel and it was very close to the JAX airport. The reviews I looked at at the time of booking were fair and that's pretty much the review I'm giving here.

This hotel will not wow you, it will not astound you and you will not leave it thinking what a great experience you had. It did the job, it was a night's stay before an early morning air departure at JAX.

The front lobby was fairly small and clean though definitely not recently updated. The hotel definitely does not have age on it's side and it definitely shows. The hallway was reminiscent of some movie that took place in the late 70's/early 80's. The room itself was equally lacking in updated-ness. I will give credit where credit is due - the room was tidy considering how old it was. Housekeeping actually did the best job they could with what was there.

The bed was not the most comfortable I've slept in but it wasn't uncomfortable either. The room is definitely crowded, meaning there wasn't a lot of room between the bed and the walls or the bed and the furniture. All furniture was definitely older and the heater did emit a faint odor that wasn't something I'd call pleasant.

I did park my car outside the hotel window and I will be honest, I did check on it's security a few times before I went to sleep. It isn't he sketchiest area but I wouldn't leave my car doors unlocked either.

The bathroom was halfway decent. Once again, older fixtures but you can tell housekeeping did what they could do in order to make the outdatedness of the room not be the focal point.

Check out was painless and if I had to stay overnight before an early morning flight out of JAX I would check this hotels prices but without it being an amazing deal I would probably look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't expect anything really nice here. Furniture in the room is outdated and hotel does have a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Leah K, General Manager at Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
We appreciate guests taking time to write reviews. We do not advertise as a luxury hotel but we are proud to offer a clean and affordable accommodation. Each of our guest room has a microwave, refrigerator, coffeemaker and hairdryer. We also serve continental breakfast from 6am to 9am, wi-fi throughout the building and a 24-hour airport shuttle is available to those who need it. All of these amenities are offered and included at affordable prices below competing 2 star hotels which offer fewer amenities. On this website, we currently have an average of 3.5 out of a possible 4 from guest reviews. We continually strive to make our services better for category and cost of our hotel.
Cranbury, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

The first room they put us in had a door that didn't lock. The next room they put us in, was a "non-smoking" unit but wreaked of cigarette smoke, both old and new!!! Finally the third room they put us in was what we spent the night in. The bed was lumpy and one of the worst nights of sleep we've had. Decided to hit up the 'fitness center'. POS!!! The equipment may have been Norditrac but it was not maintained one bit. Gives the brand a bad name. The 'breakfast' offered included hard/stale bagels. Not worth the price. Definitely won't be going back to this place or recommending it to anyone.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Leah K, General Manager at Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
We're sorry to hear that you had a less than enjoyable stay with us. Guests do sometimes ignore smoking rules, and that is unfortunate for everyone. We will make sure that the housekeeping is properly communicating with the front desk when they find that a room has been smoked in. This way we can put it down for a deep clean to make it fresh for the next guest. As far as the fitness room equipment is concerned, all the machines are only a few years old and in working condition. I don't think there's anything that needs to be expected of them beyond that. Thank you taking the time to let us know how we can improve our guests' experience with us.
Hinesville, ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

This was our second time visiting this hotel. We love staying here because you can stay the night and keep your car parked in their lot for your entire vacation. We have actually found it cheaper to rent a room and park at the hotel than it is to park at the airport. The staff here is always so friendly. Of the hundreds of times I have stayed in Jacksonville, I can easily say they have the nicest staff in town.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank soni2662
Alachua, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

I stayed here in Nov prior to a very early airport flght. Free continental breakfast, friendly service, free airport shuttle, free long stay parking. I liked my room very much. The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom spacious and everything in good condition. I booked my room through a discount website and will definitely be back. It is very close to the airport so smart for people who have to take early an early flight. The airport shuttle arrived within minutes of the phone call!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo