“Nice change from the usual”

Aloft Jacksonville Airport
Ranked #73 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed January 18, 2011

The room was very compact, with the bathroom area on the right as we walked in and the bed right after it. With a king bed the room was a bit cramped, great for one night, but I wouldn't want to stay for a while.

Nice location for a bit of shopping or food before going to the hotel.

The fan was a bit loud, and it took a bit to convince it to stay at the temperature I wanted.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 4, 2011

This hotel fell way below my expectations. The lobby is small and the music was way too loud. The bed was uncomfortable (Euro style on a platform). The air conditioner was VERY loud and when it came on I could not hear the television or sleep. The alarm clock doesn't make noise when it goes off it just shines a blinking light on the ceiling. The customer service wasn't bad it was non-existent. My television didn't get channels 1-13 which were the network and HD channels. I called the front desk and they said they could send someone up but he wouldn't be able to fix it. Clearly this hotel is designed to appeal to people who like the modern European (IKEA) type design. I could have lived with the aesthetics if the service and amenities were up to par. The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location. It is very close to the airport and right across the street from a huge shopping area. The shopping area has almost all the chain restaurants along with Walmart, Lowe's and a movie theater.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 25, 2010

Stayed one night on vacation in Florida. Place looks spectacular, hip and modern. Staff was mostly nice (initial check-in seemed bothered by our presence?). Other reviewers correctly note the oddly loud air conditioners in the room. TV channel changing was extremely slow -- took about 5 seconds for each channel to change. I liked the walk-in showers. Nice to have the refrigerator. Wished there was a microwave. However, the place tempts you with lots of yummy food and drinks in the lobby but alas it's all overpriced. $5 or $6 for a breakfast sandwich!? It's next to a McDonalds. The computers for use have no privacy and only one you can print from. There are a lot of other nearby restaurants for a quick bite (like Five Guys Burgers!). I want to like this place, but I'll stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2010

I spend a lot of time in Jax and had been curious about this hotel so spent a night to check it out while passing through. The property is attractive and staff were nice, bar in the hotel was a nice feature along with some form of food on property.
Hotel was fine for one night...a la layover of flight attendants, of which there were plenty the night we stayed. Thank goodness for the check-in kiosks in the lobby because we arrived just a second after a bus load of flight attendants and would have had quite a wait to check in.
I'm glad I sampled it on a one night stay. This is definitely NOT a hotel for a business traveler. The "closet" (a nook with a curtain) holds about 4 hangers and there is not a single drawer in the room...seriously, not one. The desk is a good size except for the bolted on electrical outlet and internet panel and the desk lamp...almost not enough room for my small laptop.
Shower glass was dirty, corner next to the sink had splashed toothpaste or soap and the bathroom floor was showing significant wear given the age of the property. These are design flaws that even the most diligent housekeeping staff may not be able to overcome.
The frosted glass wall at the end of the shower (shared with the bedroom) is a cool feature if you are there by yourself...not so much if you don't want to wake your roommate in the middle of the night with the bathroom light. Oh...and the bathroom doesn't have a "door". Just a sliding panel that covers the opening. OKAY...I'm old so like a wee bit more privacy. This architectural feature might not bother someone younger and more hip.
Value was good even though the room was VERY small but I'll stick to my traditional hotel room with drawers, a desk big enough to work on and a bathroom door for my week at a time stays.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2010

After years of staying in generic hotels by the Jacksonville Airport, I was pleased to walk into the Aloft. The decor is trendy and funky, definitely aligned with the feel you get when you stay at any other W hotel.

The best thing about the Aloft is the service. When I checked in, the lady at the front desk was pleasant and helpful and more than willing to accommodate any requests. When I returned from dinner a few hours later, she greeted me warmly (by name!) and wished me a good night. When you are on business travel, it`s so nice to feel like someone knows you! The free shuttle back to the airport was great - again, amazing service! The driver was friendly and considerate.

The rooms are nice, the view leaves much to be desired but pretty much standard for any hotel in close proximity to the airport. The only downside is that the air conditioner sounds like a small fleet of transport trucks are driving through the room. Luckily, I am a sound sleeper but if you are a light sleeper, this could be a real problem.

All in all, a great stay at the Aloft, definitely superior to other hotels in the area. I will be back again!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Pretty good hotel: close to airport, front desk staff was very polite,etc etc. Good value, and besides this last stay I've been ok with it. I've stayed here a couple times and haven't had any issues, would recommend..but there were a few things that bothered me this last stay:

-room looked ok on first glance, but turned out to be a bit grimy. Bathroom floor wasn't quite clean, shower looked gross. No soap/shampoo etc..so I ended up walking downstars to get some (didn't feel like waiting for them to find someone to bring it up). When I pulled back my sheets to get into bed there was a long piece of black hair on my pillow (yay), another one in the bed, and a few eyelashes on the second pillow (well, I think thats what they were). Tons of crumbs and crap in the corners/crevices of the desk chair. I spend SO much time in hotels..I just want to sleep in a bed where the only hair strands and eyelashes present are my own, lol. Probably just a mediocre housekeeping job that night.

-Upon checking in I asked front desk person to email me my folio the next day so I could expense easily while on the road. Did she do that? Nope. Asked again when checking out. Nope. I called 4 times..gave them email adress, checked junk mail. Still haven't got my emailed folio. Not a gigantic deal but annoying it had to be requested that many times.

Summary: fair pricing, good location, friendly staff, cleanliness is USUALLY good,

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Panic562
Reviewed September 18, 2010

I am not into trendy stuff and didn't think very much of this hotel when I walked in. The lobby made me feel like I was in a trendy teenage clothing store - music playing louder than usual in a hotel lobby and industrial/artistic decor. I usually stay at Marriott and Hilton hotels, so I wasn't accustomed to this. The "Aloha" greeting is a bit hokey, too.

The room was nice and seemed pretty clean, however, there was what appeared to be a pubic hair on top of the toilet seat. Aside from this, the room was clean. The room includes the standard hotel items - iron and board, hair dryer, etc. The flat screen TV on the wall is a nice touch. The free wireless internet is great - Marriot, Hilton, and the other better chains should learn from the less expensive hotels and offer free internet.

My biggest complaint is that the A/C unit is too loud. I like my room cooler, so the A/C never shut off. This requires the TV to be turned up louder than should be necessary, I was worried that my TV might be bothering the adjacent rooms.

The location is great - many places top shop and eat within walking distance. And the hotel offers a free shuttle. I would definitely stay here again, and will when in Jax.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business