“Never again- lobby rented out to private birthday party; no dog amenities; safety issues”

Aloft Jacksonville Airport
Ranked #65 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
San Francisco
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I just checked into this Aloft after flying all day with my dog. I stupidly chose to pay more for this hotel than any of the other blander brands down the street specifically because I wanted to use their dog amenities that are advertised: bed, bowl, treats, and toys. Of course they are out of all these things.

Additionally, the lobby/bar area has been rented out to a very large, very loud birthday party, complete with photo booth and loud loud LOUD thumpin' house music. Were there any seats still available at the bar and were it not obvious I was crashing their party, I too could get up in the club.

To top it off, when I arrived at my room, the door had been left open; the safety latch was being used to prop it open. After looking under every nook and cranny to make sure some psycho wasn't hiding in my room, I then tried to turn off the very loud fan. No dice. It doesn't seem to shut off.

So for 100 dollars I got: a lounge/bar area I can't use, dog amenities that do not actually exist, safety concerns, and a loud fan.

Never again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
aloftJaxAirport, General Manager at Aloft Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We care what our guest have to say about our hotel. We are sorry that your expectations were not met . We understand that during our functions it can get a little loud, we have since began to look more closely at our policy regarding lobby functions. We certainly hope you decide to visit with us again. Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed March 7, 2012

This hotel was a very pleasant surprise! Very clean, new, and reminded us of hotels in Europe. Allan, the manager is reallt on top of things there. Parking was no problem there, not like other hotels.
John& Judy , Gainesville

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Either Aloft needs to replace their vacuums or housekeeping staff. Room and hall was not clean including dog kibble by the baseboards and pet hair on the window seat. My bathroom had debris on the floor and the shower was disgusting with a large undefinable object left by the previous occupant. Obviously, I did not use the facilities. I did like the layout and amenities in the room; however, cleanliness was a major fault.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback. We always learn something from our guest comments. We have notified the Executive Housekeeper and we are working diligently to make sure this doesn't happen to another guest. We once again apologize for the issues during your stay. We appreciate you letting us know and we hope you come back to give us another try.
Saint Simons Island, Georgia, United States
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Currently the only downside to this particular property is out of their control. There is some fairly heavy construction going on in front of the hotel that makes getting in and out of their parking lot a bit of a pain. None of the sound from the construction was heard inside the hotel, so that was not a problem.

This is a great place to stay if you are flying out JAX the next day. It is close--a straight shot to the airport. It is clean and well maintained. A little funky? Sure, but that is what Aloft is!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Herdlinger
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 1, 2012

My new favorite hotel chain. I love the staff at both Aloft hotels I have stayed at. Much more relaxed atmosphere than normal full service hotels. Keep in mind this a very friendly, low service hotel (not valet, not bellman, no one to tip!)
They don't have a restaurant but have 24 hour food in the snake area, great sandwiches and salads. In the morning you can purchase hot ham/bacon/sausage/egg croissants
I love this place!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Its really hard to rate a hotel that tried to reinvent the wheel. Trendy....check. Cool bar....check. Pool and fitness center.....check. Overall comfort, well that depends.

If your idea of an uber cool day out is spending endless hour at Ikea, well this may be the place for you. The hotel is styled in a very modern decor and even smells nice when you walk in. Immediately noticeable is the booming music and club-like atmosphere. At first I thought it was cool to check in at a counter located directly adjacent to a night-club styled lounge and bar area. But then it hit me....I'm a business traveler and I'm tired. I want peace and quiet. I want a quiet drink and room service. But that's just me.

Upon entering the room I was once again taken to a Swedish furniture store. They tried to reinvent the bathroom by making the entire toilet/shower area share the same tiled floor. While this makes life easier for the housekeeping, there is nothing quite as annoying as getting out of the shower to a completely wet floor! It's cold and nasty. If someone wants to use the toilet, the entire floor is soaked....not smart! There is a reason the bathtub was invented.

Overall the place is in a great location which helps as the hotel has no restaurant....just a cold pantry area serving sandwiches and chips. The price is right and the staff friendly, but the concept of a Euro-chic hotel is just not my style after a long day on the road. Twenty-something's and singles w/dates will love it.

Be well fellow travelers!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Worldhopr
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2012

$80 night govt rate, you can not beat this hotel near the airport, and no charge for pets!! Nice room, huge flat screen on the wall, very euro-Ish/trendy. All other pet friendly hotels near the airport will give you the Willie's. Confortable bed, and neat shower area. Staff is friendly. Safe and minifridge in room. Overall this hotel is an outstanding value, far surpasses any other pet friendly hotels in the area. Don't hesitate, book it now.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business