Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center
Ranked #108 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I stayed for 2 months thru November & December of 2010. I was getting medical treatments locally and wanted a place with a good price in a decent neighborhood with clean rooms, wifi and easy access to downtown Jacksonville. This Homestead Studio was ideal. The location allows easy access to the beach, UNF, and short drives to St Augustine or over the river towards Ga. The staff were helpful and advised me on places to visit and such things as getting my oil changed. St Johns Town Center across the street for endless shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank jimbuff51
ESH-RDO, Owner at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center

Reviewed October 23, 2011

I purchased 2 nights on line 4 months in advance,We drove 5 hours to Hotel to meet relatives from New York.When we came front desk girl sad ;We don't have a room.....She send us to other location, more far.We did not like it.From second location we went to third.Same result.I made a call to original place and other lady sad ;We have a smaller room???? It's took TWO hours to jump from place to place.I had one 88 years old and other person on wheelchair......When we enter to NON SMOKING room you can imagine fully smoking.I call to front deck about.And I had a ORANGE spray......All our cloth including underwear was Smell.Thanks for NON SERVICE HOTEL.PC.Even garbage self service.Think twice to order.

Room Tip: always check trip advice
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank lev f
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were traveling to friend's son's wedding. Since they live 8 hours away, it was a little daunting to think about attempting it but these friends are like family to us and so we wanted to make it work. Our friends gave us the name of a couple hotels - Homestead was one of them. The other she said more were staying at but Homestead was almost half the price, the reviews weren't great but the area was good, I checked on both and decided to save money and stay at Homestead. It was half the cost of the other hotel, I have booked at extended stay hotels before so I knew it was less frills also and I was ok with that because I knew that it would be roomier for getting ready for the wedding. We arrived at 3 AM, I had called earlier to alert them to this and was told that it would be noted but it was not a problem. When we arrived the lobby was locked but there was a well lit and obvious phone outside the door with instruction of how to call the appropriate person you needed. The voice on the other end was cheerful and I was told she would be right there. She was, she let me in and didn't seem to be the least bit bothered by the fact that I had stopped her from whatever she was doing at that hour. Check in was quick and easy and at that hour it was great, she told me that the one night had been charged to my card to hold it and that the next night would be added on that day. She gave me a welcome letter and then gave me instruction on the best way to find our room and the area in that section where it was located so we didn't have to wander up and down and try to find it. Information that I later found on the letter I wish I had known at check in - now it is possible that it was on the information listed when I booked online and I didn't think to ask when I was in the lobby but so many of the hotels I have been to lately didn't require a password for wifi but if she had thought to mention it I could have taken care of it at the time of check in. I needed to take care of some business online before calling it a day and I discovered that not only did I need a password but there was also a one time fee of $4.99. I can understand the fee because many of their guests may stay there for a month or more and I didn't mind paying it but I didn't want to call the guest services lady and bother her again at that hour or if she required cash have to walk back to the lobby. Luckily another guest had an android and I was able to pick up that signal long enough to get on, take care of my business and get ready for bed before they turned theirs off. The next morning we stopped by the office and bought the password. As I had expected the space was roomy since it had a the full kitchen area and tho we really didn't have time to plan to use it it was good to know it was there just in case. The kitchen had a stove, microwave oven and full size fridge. The fridge was clean and drinks that we put in on arrival were on the edge of icy when we went for them mid-day, other drinks of already opened and partially drank bottles froze so solid over night in the freezer and that left in the fridge later still were partially frozen when we checked out. There was a bar level counter for dinning on and a coffee maker and toaster were there, a small trash can was under the sink. The bathroom was roomy enough too, the sink, commode and tub/shower were all in there but you didn't feel trapped in a closet. The hotel is not brand new and so the carpet and other things were not new but any wear in the room we were in did not show. There was a slight stain on the counter were it appeared that something wet might have been on something with a purple dye and left a spot but nothing more than a live with it mark that we all have in our homes until we can afford to replace it and frankly I would rather pay the lower price for the room than to have a new counter, it was clear that it was clean inspite of any lived in places. The bed was nice and comfy, we were so tired the first night we might could have slept on the floor but both nights we slept well and were very comfortable. We had only one bed in our room and spent most of the down time sitting on it, but besides the two chairs at the table counter, there was also another chair and ottaman near the door and window. One of my favorite parts of the room was the closet, half of it had a bar to hang clothes with extra hangers there and the iron and ironing board was tucked against the wall on this side, the other half had wire shelves about halfway in the upper portion and enough space underneath to put luggage or other large objects. Both sides were covered with sliding mirrored doors, The closet was near the door and the full mirrors was great for checking last minute to make sure everything looked good especially since we were headed to the wedding and reception and would want to look neat and finished the whole night. Most hotel rooms only have the half mirror above the sink and you have to get so far back across the room to see everything that you are too far away to see really see it. Or they will have a smaller mirror over a dresser or desk, or possibly a slender "full" length mirror on the wall and none of those allow you to really get a good view either. I loved this big sliding wall of mirrors floor to ceiling.
The hotel location was right off I think it was the 202 and maybe two blocks on the major road to a light where you turn and go about a block, no long twist and turn to find the right driveway. It was also with in walking distance of the St. Johns Towne Center, tho I wouldn't suggest walking because you have to cross the major road, which there is a light to help you in crossing but the Towne Center is so huge that it would be good to have a vehicle to get around to the things you wish to visit there. We drove across to grab a quick lunch after we got up and discovered that there was just about anything you could shop for or want to eat in this Center, it was so huge we almost needed to use the GPS to find our way out and back across the road to our room. There were other businesses ,resturants and living facilities on our side of the road but we didn't have time to explore that area. As for our stay everything went fine, check out took a few extra minutes because when I went down to check out there were 3 other people ahead of me and they had been waiting a few moments for someone to come to the front, there was a sign up that had given a number to call and stated that the attendent had left to help with another guest and if it was longer than 5 minutes to call. I suggested that they use the phone outside before I saw the sign and they said they had called the number but gotten no answer. One of the ladies went out and used the phone got a quick answer and was told they would be right there and she was. She had gone to the laundry to help someone and told me later that they always take the phone connected to the outside lines with them. She immediately took care of the first person who was having to check out days earlier than planned, the attendent handled problems with that, asked her if she wanted it on her card she had used to hold it or for the first night because she knew that it was a business stay and the lady said she would get her reimbursed from the company later. I was impressed that she knew or read and cared about the info instead of just charging the woman. The next two were also quickly taken care of and I was checked out from the time I walked in to leaving in about 15 minutes, I have waited far longer with less people ahead of me. I have no complaints at all, the only hang up was the wifi password and that was as much my fault as the hotel.
I would reccommend this hotel to anyone. It's location is great, it would be good for a girls getaway shopping trip or a family/couple weekend road trip. The lower cost allows you to spend more in other areas, the full kitchen gives you the oppurtunity to bring or buy food and prepare some meals there and also save. We did take a quick trip to the beach on the way home since we were so close and it was about 20 minutes away, we only had to get back on the 202 and follow it to the end and choose which side to go to and you come off a couple blocks from the beach. The signs on the 202 are easy to follow and you end up in a nice beach town with shops, dinning places and other things you find near a beach. This hotel is close enough to go and enjoy but far enough away to avoid the higher prices there. St. Augustine is also close enough for a day trip.
This is an extended stay suites and that means that most guests do stay a week or more at a time and the amenities are geared to these customers. Housekeeping is done once a week unless someone checks out and the room is cleaned at check out. You recieve one set of towels and when I have stayed at others for longer periods we have carried our towels to have more. We were told at check in that if we wanted new towels we could bring the soiled ones to the lobby and they will give us clean ones. There was a list in the bathroom of extras guests could requests and the fee that they could be asked to pay, most were about $5 and included taking out the trash, making the beds, vaccuming, etc.
At check out when I was asked if everything was ok, I replied yes and I only wanted to stay longer and that next year there is another wedding in this same family and if the events are close enough we will be back. We checked in at 3 AM Saturday and out near 11 AM on Sunday and most of Saturday was wedding involved but I would have loved to have enjoyed staying and experiencing the area more. It doesn't have a pool which was one of the things my friend mentioned when telling us about it but with all there is to do so nearby and the gulf less than half an hour away that should not be an issue.
I give Homestead Extended Stay Suites at St. Johns Towne Center an A on my visit.

the

Room Tip: If there is a certain think you prefer, such as upstairs, downstairs (there are no elevators but the...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Katea9tails
Reviewed July 2, 2011

This is a hotel geared for adults. There is no pool but you are not that far from the beach. The room was nice and had 2 full size tvs and a small/full size fridge, range top and microwave. It also had 2 full baths so that it can really accomodate a family even with older kids or just a large family. The beds were comfortable. The front desk was very professional and the price was right. It would be really great for business travelers, or people going to the Mayo Clinic. It is across the street from the Towne Center, which is a shopping area on steroids. You can jump on the freeway and be at the Jaquars stadium in minutes, a myriad of restaurants within walking distance. The air conditoners worked well which you need in Jacksonville. The laundry facilities were good. You are right in the middle of many corporate offices and you are across the street from Skinner Lake and you really feel tucked away from all of the hubub hud away in the trees and foliage. I will definately stay here again.

Room Tip: There is a one time $4.99 charge for internet ser.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank beachbird123
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I booked my reservation online and then called to confirm it. Instead of giving me a double non-smoking room, they changed me to a smoking room. My only option available was a smoking single. It was disgusting: cigarette burns on the bathroom floor, on the carpet in several places, and on a filthy armchair. The 2 pillows were clumps of foam. There was a too small mattress pad with a plastic-type bed covering. They offer no breakfast at all, not even coffee. TV remote was held together with scotch tape. Sat am I used the ladies room in the lobby and it was vile: lots of black hair in the sink and broken TP holders. A disgusting place! Also good luck finding it: they give poor directions on their website.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ellentravels
Reviewed January 20, 2011

During my 25 year career in customer service for a major U.S. corporation, I spent more nights sleeping in hotel beds than in my own. I've been a guest at hotels operated by all the major chains and a few mom and pops. Consequently, I can tell the difference between a One Star and Five Star hotel along with those in between. I've stayed at or been in rooms at all levels.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I learned that we would have visitors this week and next. While family members would be staying in our home, we needed to make a hotel reservation for a friend of theirs who preferred staying at a hotel within walking distance to the St. John's Town Center. A quick Google search brought up the website of the Homestead Studio Suites on Skinner Drive, directly across from the shopping center. Perfect or so we thought.

Since I was not familiar with this hotel, I thought it best that I visit to see what the different sized rooms are like and what the housekeeping standards
were like When I arrived and asked to see one of each, the desk clerk advised that the only room available for me to enter was the one adjacent to the office, which I did.

While in the room, I phoned my son who would be making the actual recommendations. I told him that a room like I was in or one the larger versions would be perfect. I also said that the bed, furniture, carpeting and appliances were "spotless" and added the comment that his mother and I would feel comfortable staying there. At that point, I walked back to the office and handed my cell phone to the desk clerk so that the reservation could be made before I left. Big Mistake.

My son and daughter-in-law picked up their friend at the airport and drove her to a "late arrival" check-in at your hotel. Unfortunately, they left before
she had unpacked. They soon returned after she discovered several things that were unacceptable, including a bathroom that had not been cleaned - with hair on the floor along with an infestation of live and dead bugs in the room.

They returned immediately to help her check out of the hotel after midnight.

I now am aware of several people who will never stay at a "Homestead" branded hotel again or think about staying there the future.

For me, using hindsight, the most frustrating aspect of this entire affair is the fact that the I encouraged my son to make the reservation directly with
the hotel rather place it through a site like Tripadvisor. Had either of us looked at Tripadvisor's "Guest Reviews" for this hotel, I would not be writing
this review.

Belatedly, I read a review on another site written by a college kid says it all.

“I'm a grad student and have fairly low standards for what is workable regarding hotel rooms, but this was a new low.”

Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank globetrotter1492
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Infested with bugs. LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of them! Not to mention filthy. Boxspring was completely torn open on one side, and needless to say full of dirt and dust and I'm sure more bugs. Asked for another room, and was told there were no more rooms available. Not likely considering the parking lot was pretty secluded.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business