“Exception to the Rule”

Ranked #38 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Brooklyn, NY
“Exception to the Rule”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Usually I don't write reviews, because all hotels seem the same. But this hotel was worth me boasting. This hotel was perfect. The rooms were very clean, the hotel attendants were more than courteous, and the price was perfect ($62 a night, on the 4th of July weekend).
The rooms are perfectly sized, with a big bathroom, kitchen area, office space, King size beds, and even a sofa bed for that extra person in the room. They served breakfast, have a pool, hot-tub, fitness room, and ample parking. The hotel also offers free internet, and has a office space in the room. And if you do not have your computer, they have a computer with a printer in the lobby for your use.

The hotel was about 20-25 minutes from the beach, as well as the airport. And who wants to hear plane engines while you sleep.

If you need to bunk in Jacksonville, consider this hotel. It is the exception to the rule of traditional hotels.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AirportJunkie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
GA
Reviewed June 21, 2009

My husband & I planned a little weekend getaway for our 2nd anniversary. I had a hard time deciding where to stay because I'm very picky when I comes to hotels. I read tons of reviews on hotels in the Jacksonville area. I finally narrowed it down to TownePlace and another one. We had decided to take our dog and I'm a Marriott member so that's how I narrowed it down. I called TownePlace and spoke with Howie. He was very friendly, helpful, and informative. Howie, the pet-friendliness, and the fact that it's a new hotel helped me to decide. We ended up not taking our dog after all. The area was very nice and I know she would have loved walking and playing in the designated areas. We'll take her next time.
We booked it for the weekend. Unfortunately, we didn't get to meet Howie in person, but we were fortunate to have met Ashley. She was just as friendly, helpful, and informative as Howie. I was pleased.
Then we get to our suite. By the way, I agree that the elevator had an awful smell. My husband claims that it's just the "new" smell of the elevator machinery. We took the elevator twice and used the stairs the rest of the time (we were on the 2nd floor). Anyway, I was impressed by the suite. The pictures posted on the website are exact. Those pictures were exactly how our room looked. Everything was clean! (I still used my Lysol just as a precaution). I actually had no complaints! This means A LOT coming from me. My husband was pleased that I was pleased because normally when we go to hotels, I'm complaining about something in the room. The bed & pillows were extremely confortable. We slept like babies. The entire hotel has free wireless internet-loved it.
The continental breakfast was nice. There is a "snack bar" in the lobby called "In a Pinch." I thought it was really neat because it was open 24 hours with all sorts of snacks. So if you had the munchies late at night you didn't have to leave the hotel to get something. However, it was expensive. My husband purchased a small bag of chips, a candy bar, and 20oz soda and paid almost $8. (He didn't tell me how much it cost until we got home.)
The location was great. There are several (fast food & an Applebee's) restaurants in walking distance. There are many, many more to choose from a short drive away (in many directions). We were about 10-15 minutes from downtown and The Landings (it's beautiful at night). The beaches were about 15-20 minutes away.
Overall, we would definately chose this hotel again. Sorry we didn't take our own pictures of the hotel

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KokoMack
Battle Creek MI
Reviewed April 18, 2009

First, a disclaimer: our daughter works for a Marriott property, so we stay for an extremely discounted price that is not available to the general public. With that in mind, I rate all hotels as if I had paid what appears to be the going, discounted rate that others paid.

We stayed for five nights over spring break. Our main objective was to be convenient to the beach and to be someplace warm! While this hotel is 15 miles or so to the beach, it really is convenient. Butler Blvd. (202) is a true boulevard, with no traffic lights at all! Literally, we were in Jax beach in 15 minutes each day that we traveled there. Also, you are right off of I-95, so you can be downtown Jacksonville in under 10 minutes, down to St Augustine in about 30, and the TPC Sawgrass in about 20.

Parking is free, as is the breakfast. Nothing fancy, but very well done and very convenient for people like us, who don't want to spend all morning at the hotel. There was also a computer right in the lobby for guest use, with free internet access for those of us who don't like to lug around our laptops on vacation. Exercise room was small, but did have two fabulous new treadmills with built-in flat screen TV's.

The room was very nice. Full kitchen, a smallish work area, nice bed, very good-sized bathroom, with a cool pass-through closet that will fit anything you can bring with you, except maybe a large surfboard! The HVAC system did a great job of keeping the room the right temp, but there was not a way for us to keep the fan on all night, which we like to do to override hallway noise. Not a major issue, but some of us like that.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. About the only negatives that I have revolved around the pool area. First, it was about 90 degrees, so not exactly a refreshing dip. Secondly, both times I went to the spa, there were no towels. I had to go to the exercise room to get some. Not great attention to detail, there. Finally, they must still be learning how to adjust the chemicals in the spa, as my wife's bathing suit was completely bleached out from sitting in it. Fortunately, it was not an expensive one. We have a spa at home and she has worn it in that for months without any issues, so I know that it wasn't as though the suit was defective.

Overall, a good location, near restaurants, not too far from shopping, convenient highway access to all Jacksonville has to offer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed February 6, 2009

This was a new hotel and we enjoyed the service and the comfortable new rooms. My only objection was the smell in the elevator. The hotel accepts pets and it smelled like a couple of cats used the elevator for kitty litter. Other than that it was great. They had a continental breakfast, and wonderfull beds.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stuckncarolinas
TowneplaceSuites, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, February 25, 2009
Thank you so much for your feedback, while I was pleased to hear you enjoyed the room and friendly service I am truly sorry for the odor in our elevator. The issue has been resolved and I hope to see you back at the property for your next visit to Jacksonville.