“This Place Needs Some Attention”

TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard
Ranked #41 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
NJ
“This Place Needs Some Attention”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We recently stayed here on our way to south Florida coming from NJ. We always stay in Marriott properties and have stayed in the most expensive to the least expensive. We have always found the facilities to be better than good.

This property was an exception. From the moment I entered, I saw the place appeared a little shabby. As we walked down the hall to our room, the carpets needed vacuuming and the walls were a little dingy. The room itself had an odor that was not unpleasant but just lingered. The towels were the thinnest I have ever seen at a Marriott property. The mattress and pillows were poor quality.
Next morning we went down for breakfast. The breakfast room was too small to accomodate everyone and there wasn't enough food to go around. Everyone had to ask for something--milk, spoons, fill up the oj, etc.

We have stayed at Fairfield Inns and Courtyards. Maybe there is a big difference between those and TownePlace suites. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Danielle G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I really am very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. I can assure you that the situation you have described is defintitely not the normal for us. I have taken your comments back to my management team and we have used them to improve. I hope you would be willing to give us another chance. Please contact me directly should you come stay with us again, I would love to talk to you more regarding the issues you had.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This Towneplace is way above my expectation. I think this is one of the best TP I have ever stayed. The price is reasonable. Room is large and clean. The elevator is a little bit slow. Though the room has full kitchen, the property provides ice machine on first floor (other TP and Residence Inn don't have ice machine) and it has breakfast for guest. Recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your 4 star review of our hotel. It gives us great pleasure to know that we've provided a great experience to another one of our guests! We work very hard here at the hotel to hire and train individuals with great customer service skills. They are truly what makes this hotel special. We look forward to serving you again very soon!
kirbyville texas
Reviewed December 11, 2012

super nice place. everybody here is super there isnt nobody that works here that dont say welcome or goodmorning hows your day going or do you need anything theseguys know how to do it right. to me that means a lot.my husband is on the heart transplant list here an away from our family we have adopted them and they adopted us.we would highly recommend this hotel to any one for one night or extened stay you want go wrong here.everything is great here

Room Tip: we have stayed two seperate times at this location . nothing but very good things to say about town...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank teresa m
Amy G, Guest Relations Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Teresa, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you find our hotel to be comfortable when you are away from home. We love having you with us, we wish you and your husband the best, and hope that you one day get to stay with us under different circumstances.
Florida
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel while my children were undergoing cochlear implant surgery. We stayed the night before and the night after. Check-in was quick and the clerk was very courteous. We had a two bedroom suite and it was perfect for our needs. My son especially liked the dog made from a towel on the bed. Room was clean and well stocked. Upon our arrival from the hospital the following evening, my son was requesting a pb&j sandwich. My mother went down to the front desk to see if they could help. Quickly they got together bread, peanut butter, and jelly. What a lifesaver!!! Next morning, we were helped again with a box to bring breakfast back to the room. The staff couldn't have been more helpful to make our stay great. Will definitely return again if we need to stay in the area again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Danielle G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I am very glad that we were able to make your stay a little easier on you while going through that stressful time for you and your family. Many of us on my staff have children and we really try to make traveling with little ones as smooth as possible. Anytime you want to stop in for a good PB&J come see us!
Hoover, Alabama
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed here four nights in early November and thought the staff and room were outstanding. The previous two nights we stayed at a beach hotel and wanted to find somewhere less expensive. When we arrived, the desk clerk took the time to show us three different room types. All the rooms were well maintained and clean. We decided on a two bedroom suite. It was nicely decorated and there was even an oven in the kitchen. It felt more like a condo with maid service. The breakfast was fresh each morning, the lobby and hallways were clean, and every member of the staff was friendly and helpful. On our last day, we had an 11 a.m. appointment at Mayo Clinic, so there was no way we could make the 12 p.m. check-out. Once again, a staff member kindly worked with us and extended our check-out time to 2 p.m.
Now, I would like to address some of the issues others raised. First, please don't blame Marriott for the "smelly" water. I have been to Florida many times, and the water at many hotels, condos, theme parks, etc. smells like sulfur. That is just Florida water. Second, you cannot always blame housekeeping for dirty dishes in the cabinet. Sometimes, guests will clean and put up their own dishes. Stainless steel pots and pans need an additional cleaning agent such as Cameo to come out squeaky clean. I try and take a bottle of this whenever I am staying somewhere with a kitchen.
Third, we all thought the beds were quite comfortable. If we are ever in Jacksonville again, we will definitely stay here. It is like a new hotel with a great staff, large rooms, and great price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 815kim
Wow! Thank you, thank you for your 5 star review! I appreciate all of the kinds words you had for the TownePlace Suites. You are correct, lol, the water in Florida is pretty brutal! However, you were very kind regarding the dishes in the cabinet. While mistakes do happen we strive to make every guest experience flawless so I can guarantee you this will also be used as a training experience. My team and I try to make sure we can acocmadate each guest depending on their individual needs so we were happy to extend your checkout time. We hope to see you again and if your are in the area please stop in and say Hello!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Excellent long term and short stay in this modern TownePlace with a great staff. Easy access to I95 and Jacksonville. Great rate, excellent Queen Suite room with plenty of room, and kitchen to support all my cooking needs. My strongest recommendation for a short or long term stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Danielle G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Bruce,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It was an honor to have you stay with us, you were a wonderful guest! I am glad we were able to make your stay with us enjoyable and we were delighted you gave us the opportunity to get to know you. Please stop in and see us next time you are in the Jacksonville area, we would love to see you!

SIncerely,
Danielle Gross
Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We recently stayed here on a holiday weeked after the AC broke at our house. We got a two bedroom suite. It was reasonably priced, but was a good example of "you get what you pay for." I am a Marriott Gold member so I stay at their properties frequently and this was well below the quality that am used to. The building is very cheaply constructed. The hallways reminded me of a college dorm and there was no AC in them. The room finishes were adequate, but of low quality, and the beds were not particularly comfortable. We had an accessible room and the shower would never shut off entirely. We made it through the first night and then had what was certainly the worst Marriott breakfast that we have ever experienced. My microwave sausage biscuit tasted like it was several years old and most everything else was unappealing. We considered changing hotels, but decided to just grin and bear it since we were only going to be in the room to sleep. We were gone all day and then got back to the room around 5. The room was a little warm so I lowered the thermostat and closed the curtains to shut out the sun. After about an hour the room did not seem to be getting any cooler. I checked the thermostat and the temperature had actually rised 2 degrees. I called the front desk and was informed that they did not have any mainteance personnel on duty, but that they would try to get someone there the next night. I asked to change rooms, but was told that no other two bedroom units were available. When the temperature continued to rise my wife called and complained again. She was told that nothing could be done so we decided to leave. To give the desk clerk credit, he did check other nearby Marriott properties and called us back to offer an alternative, but not have them had large units either. I went online and found one myself, so we checked out. They did credit us for both nights stays (I would have been on the phone to the corporate office the next day if they did not), but this is a property that should not have a Marriott flag until some upgrades can be made. I would certainly never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I am so very very sorry for the experience you had while staying with us. It is completely unexcusable that you had to endure customer service of that level and I can assure you that we have taken every opportunity to use you feedback to make our team better. It must have been very inconvenient to deal with the air conditioner problems especially here in Jaccksonville where it seems to be perpetually hot. We have made some very positive changes within our hotel and I hope that you will give us a second chance. Please rach out to me so that we may discuss some of your concerns a little further. As always Thank You so very much for being a Marriott Rewards Member.