“Great Sandwiches!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Indiana
“Great Sandwiches!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

So my husband wasn't thrilled with the chowder but other than that everything was delicious!! We love to find local restaurants when traveling and this was exactly what we enjoy. It is an older small building. Nothing fancy about this place inside or out but my Cajun Shrimp sandwich was fantastic and my kids loved the Fried Tilapia Sandwich. Fries came with our sandwiches and they were also hot and delicious. My husbands chowder was not very warm but other than that it was ok. The broth had a decent flavor and if you like large chunks of vegetables with some seafood in a tomato based broth this might be your thing. It would probably have been better if served hotter. Prices were reasonable and our waitress was friendly and attentive.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Krazyfamily

sassylady22001
“Great seafood”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Chowder was not what I expected. Was more like veggie soup. Conch fritters were good and the crab cake on a kaiser roll was awesome Local place. Crowded with not many tables tho

“Worth the drive”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Visited for lunch as advised by Trip advisor and was not disappointed. The chowder was unique and delicious, the shrimp were fresh nd expertly prepared. A TINY place with great food and well worth the drive! Location was beautiful.

1 Thank Chels0722
Jacksonville, Florida
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I almost drove past the restaurant because there is no street signage. You have to be looking for the place to find it. It really is a hole-in-the-wall dive. The exterior as well as the ambiance of the place are not appealing, but I had heard the food was good. My husband and I went there for dinner, but the menu items were sandwiches and shrimp only. He and I chose sandwiches. He also got their "famous" chowder. It is a stew rather than a chowder. It is tasty, but very spicy. It is served in a small saucepan. My husband's and my sandwiches were good. The sides were just okay.

There were only three employees working that night. I assume the cook (the only male) was Ted. The cooking area can be seen where you sit.The waitress/cashier that served us was not high on the personality scale. She was not rude, but not that friendly. I noticed both Ted and the waitress/casheir were allowed to drink a Corona while they worked. They did not care if you saw them because they did it behind the counter as they did their work. I know, it's a dive, and you have to understand the behavior will be more relaxed. But I think drinking openly in front of your customers should not be allowed.

Bottom line, fish sandwiches were good, but I will not go there again.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank JuliasStory
Rolling Meadows, Illinois
“Don't Judge a book by it's Cover!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Nothing fancy in fact this place fits the long told message of not judging a book by it's cover Chowder Ted's is a true Florida fish shack located right on the water with great food in a casual setting. Occupancy in the front half is tight but 25 maybe another 25 in the back room. Service is observant and fast. Food is very good including local shrimp and clam strips, Grouper & Mahi sandwiches with an original jalapeño cole slaw. It was very tasty. Keep an eye out for daily specials on the board by the front door. Closed Sundays and Mondays.
***Bring cash, it is a cash only establishment***

1 Thank Twister7096

Been to Chowder Ted's? Share your experiences!