“Freshest seafood dive around!”
Review of Chowder Ted's

Chowder Ted's
Ranked #43 of 2,189 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Chowder Ted's is an excellent "hole in the wall " type place on Hecksher Drive. Scenic waterfront view, gravel parking lot, so small it's easy to miss. Service is family friendly but be prepared to wait because it's tiny - maybe 12 tables and a small bar. The food is outstanding and freshly prepared. Minorcan style chowder is SPICY but oh sooo good! It's full of chunks of fresh seafood, olives, onions and tomatoes in a spicy red broth and served out of handled pots which adds a charming, authentic touch. I had the fried grouper sandwich (it was the special of the day) - perfectly fried, not at all greasy on a fresh bun with lettuce and a beautiful slice of think tomato. Ted's "homemade" tartar sauce is also so tasty we asked for extra - were told they also sell it. It really added to the flavor of the fresh, was also served with the hot, fresh onion rings we ordered on the side. Chowder Ted's is closed Sunday - Monday but definitely a must try. I've been there several times and have never been disappointed! The only complaint I can think of is the old vinyl chairs should be replaced, the cushions are torn up and not very comfortable on bare legs as I was wearing shorts!

Reviewed September 3, 2011

My daughter & I found Chowder Ted's today and liked it very much. My grilled fish fillet sandwich was delicious. The chowder is spicy and full of chunky vegetables: tomatoes, potatoes, green olives and carrots. T'was too spicy for our taste, I'm afraid. Good thing we ordered the wonderful onion rings... We loved the friendly atmosphere and will be back with our meat-eating family members. They'll have the burgers!

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Everyone pictures finding that beat-up shack populated with grizzled locals that sits by the water and serves up amazing food. Well, that's what Chowder Ted's is.

Chowder Ted's is in a low slung building with what looks like a hastily constructed addition on one side. It sits on the edge of a tidal marsh in the shadow of a small bridge. The gravel parking lot has what appear to be a few abandoned cars around the edge and a boat launch on the back side. Do not be turned away by its appearance!

The inside is cramped with a few tables, a small bar, and a couple picnic tables in the back addition. The place was packed (although there was no line) and I would recommend going in smaller groups of 2 to 4 to make seating easier.

The waitress knew a number of the people by their first names and they knew her name, even though she didn't wear a name tag. They were definitely locals because it turned out some of them went to the same high school as my parents who grew up in Jacksonville. I took it to be a good sign that these folks were regulars here.

The menu had limited options, but I wanted to try just about everything on it. Our group ordered fish sandwiches (red snapper), fried shrimp, a shrimp sandwich, and a swamp burger (cheeseburger) along with sides of french fries, onion rings, and crab cakes. Everyone agreed that the fish sandwiches were amazing. Perfectly prepared, fresh, and delicious. My favorite was the spicy shrimp sandwich. The batter dipped shrimp were also very good. I was surprised that the swamp burger was so good since this place was more focused on seafood. The onion rings were the best I've ever had. If it hadn't been 101 that day I would have liked to have tried the signature chowder.

The crab cakes were made from minced crab meat, but I prefer lump, so they were a disappointment for me although others in our group liked them. We all agreed that the water tasted horrible with or without lemon (some suspected it had been pulled from the marsh outside) so make sure you enjoy a sweet tea or beer instead.

The price for the seafood was very reasonable (be prepared to pay with cash), probably because of the low overhead - but that is part of the appeal of this place. If you are in Jacksonville, make the hike north of the St. John's River for an authentic North Florida dining experience.

2  Thank MicahDF
Reviewed April 5, 2011

****CASH ONLY****

I live in Jacksonville and Chowder Ted's is one of my favorites places for seafood in town. It is a whole in the wall and easy to miss. They accept cash only, so be prepared. The service is great, family owned. What to order: burgers are hand-pattied and grilled over an open flame, seafood chowder is homemade, fish dip is homemade (they smoke their own fish), and ALWAYS get the special of the day. Prices are very reasonable and the atmosphere is slightly bare but very relaxing.

1  Thank Kelli02
Reviewed February 17, 2011

My husband & I were visiting Jacksonville and found this place recommended on this website. When we first arrived we weren't sure if we had made a good choice, the menu is very limited only a few choices, but once the waitress visited our table we felt right at home and decided to give it a try. We tried the smoke fish dip-excellent, so much fish we needed more crackers. I had the blackened tilapia, my husband the fried shrimp. Both came out hot (as in temperature). Both were fresh and delicious. Great place for lunch or an easy going dinner.

1  Thank flyboy922b

Been to Chowder Ted's? Share your experiences!