“Great service - Average food”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 2,095 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: J. Turner Butler Blvd.
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in St. Johns Town Center.
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Like the other reviews read, the service was impeccable and the ambiance was great. The food - not so much for the price you have to pay. The bill for the two of us was $184.00. Add a $40 tip and it's down right expensive. We had: Steak tartar (a huge portion), raw oysters ( 4 to an order) , the lobster mac & cheese (very good), grauten potatoes and I had the Delmonico steak ordered on the plus side of medium rare. Drinks: two glasses of wine, a martini and a crown and soda. The drinks were $14 each. When we sat at the table the server asked us if we wanted tap water or bottled water. I opted for tap - my wife asked for bottled water. THAT cost $7 freaking dollars. Really? She should have told us of the cost up front.

My steak was OK as far as taste goes. Not bad, not anything to get excited about. It was cooked on the plus side of rare - not medium rare I ordered and was not exactly hot when it arrived. The potatoes and mac & cheese were also served warm - not hot.

We live in the area and had been wanting to try this place for awhile because Jacksonville desperately needs a high standard "steak house" kind of place. To be honest - I can cook a better steak at home on my grill with a better grade of beef for $25.

We can say, "been there, done that" to the Capital Grill and don't see the need to return. Too bad.

On to the next place as we look for a good place to eat on a regular basis...

2  Thank SteveandKathyH

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Very nice atmosphere to go into on a cold day after shopping at town center, took my mother out for a happy hour drink, she likes the upscale hand napkins in the bathroom like country clubs have. The dirty grey goose martinis with blue cheese stuffed olives were made perfectly. We sat at the bar and shared a calamari appetizer which was a huge portion we each had extras to take home, I would have liked marinara sauce to dip in though, it did not come with any dipping sauce. Mother had a lobster bisque soup that I tried a bite of and it was one of the best I have ever tried, huge chunks of main lobster claws. Total: 2 martinis, 1 appetizer, and 1 cup of soup was $57 (pre-tip) which is honestly not ridiculous but about $2-$4 overpriced on each item ordered. The service was outstanding, we received ice cold fiji bottled water which is nice, I hate tap water. For that fact alone I will be back. Also described was the french onion soup I will have to try next time, it sounded amazing. Will be back for the soup and a draft beer next time...

1  Thank Erik S
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We have eaten at The Capital Grille twice (once for lunch and once for dinner) and were not impressed at all. It was a beautiful restaurant but the food was average and overpriced. We will not go back as we prefer to pay for great food and ambiance not just ambiance.

1  Thank Maxine L
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Capital Grille is one of those places that you are never disappointed and find a new reason to love it each time you visit. My colleagues and I usually meet here for lunch once a month. The bar hits the perfect spot for some lighter fair as we are usually on the run or limited on time and don't want to eat to much.

1  Thank Charles B
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We went with without reservation and managed a table for two without much of a wait.
Good wine, excellent service and food all good except for the salt . Man way too salty,this was a shame as the steaks were perfect. I would not have a starter again and only one or two sides as they are big.
We would recommend but check the salt