“opposed to pets & pet owners”

Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
Florissant, CO
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“opposed to pets & pet owners”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I once tried to share a breakfast picnic at the Fossil Beds with my grandchildren and my dog. The ranger came over, telling us we couldn't have a dog in the picnic area. By the way, you also can't leave a pet unattended in a vehicle. Catch-22?

Later, I was driving Lower Twin Rocks Road (CR42) through the monument when I pulled over at the equestrian turnout so the dog could pee. A ranger came by, arrogantly stating that dogs are not allowed in the monument except at the small area near the Visitors Center. Apparently, not even at the equestrian gate, littered as it is with horse dung.

Now, my dog and I are not unfamiliar with goofy rules, but we've been to the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP, Grand Canyon NP, Yosemite NP, and Sequoia NP, where, in each case, dogs are permitted on roads, in parking lots, picnic areas, camping grounds, and on some non-back-country trails. Even local Mueller State Park allows dogs on roads, in parking areas, campgrounds, and some trails near the road.

What's so special about the Fossil Beds? Not much, I'd say.

Being chided by a ranger for letting my dog out to pee on the side of a county road takes the cake. Making it worse is that I live nearby, and would like to support the local attractions. But in this case, I advise you to continue to Cripple Creek, and avoid the Fossil Beds NM.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank Thomas J

46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Small But Interesting”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Doesn't take long to see the park. It's worth the visit if you're passing through. Definitely walk the trails. Don't just go into the park headquarters and leave. The drawers of specimens are interesting.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank ciezie
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nice Walks, NO DOGS ALLOWED”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lots of choices of trails. Interesting fossilized trees, and in the museum, bugs, etc.

We were on a loop drive with our dog along and were disappointed that we couldn't have him leashed on a trail. It was a warm day so we had to take a very short hike this last time.

BUT, there are good longer hikes that we have taken in the past.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank AMHanson
Divide
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“An excellent park”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The park has a very informative video explaining the geological events that lead to the fossils. It is a unique site; anyone interested in geology will love it.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Gretchen D
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“2 Thumbs up”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you are interested in prehistoric history this is a place for you to check out! The tree fossils are as big as Red Woods you can't believe how long they have been in that same spot!

1 Thank Rockymtngirlco