“Go across the street to Bridges instead”
Review of Amber Bistro - CLOSED

Amber Bistro
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Church St.
Transit: Bus 221, 960B, 960C
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was there with a party of 4 just 4 days ago on a Sunday at 6:30. Only 2 other tables occupied in entire restaurant. Service was very pleasant but something must have been going on in the kitchen because it took an hour for entrée to arrive and another hour for the dessert to arrive. Wait staff never came by and said it will be a few minutes; we had to flag someone down to inquire. We only complained among ourselves. My duck was good, one steak was well done instead of medium rare and the 2 Halibuts were just average. We had decided to try it because we had not been there for years and one of the group had been given a gift certificate for an entrée! We all said we should have gone to Bridges which was bustling and is always consistently very good. Food at Amber is mediocre and on the highest side for Danville, service congenial but something was definitely wrong in the kitchen. We all agree that even if they have been there for some time they cannot stay in business long at that rate. We were very disappointed and saw no reason to go back.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Located conveniently across the street from a wine tasting room, the Amber Bistro is a better option than Bridges. The food is excellent, the wine menu well thought out, and the service always friendly.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Ok, just to get it out of the way first, this isn't the least expensive place around - there are cheaper options. There are more expensive ones also. To give you perspective, my bill for one plate and 2 glasses of wine with tip (no appetizers or dessert) was a little North of $60. Entree's float around 30, with steaks a little more, pasta less etc. That's OK if everything clicks, so it really comes down to how much you actually "like" it.

In this visit my meal was a large center cut Pork Chop, it was very good and I enjoyed it greatly. However 2 of the folks I was with had a seafood dish that they claimed was below average. Another had the Filet Mignon and claimed it was really good. That's a 50% hit rate. So I guess you need to be a little carefull what you order. The server was pleasant and while the service itself was a little slow, we weren't in a hurry so it didn't matter much. The noise level inside was a little high and they were only half full. It might be very loud if they are full.

Geographically it is located right beside Bridges (and I was told - didn't validate - it is owned by the same company). They share the same valet service and parking is a little hard to find otherwise. Did I enjoy it? Yes I did. Would I go again? I think that's a possibility, but not assured.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

While the menu is not large, one has a good choice of fish and meat dishes and some very creative appetizers. The gazpacho was an alternative version of this iconic cold summer soup but the taste was smooth and rich. The nut crusted halibut on a bed of farro was superb....balanced flavors, beautifully presented and filling. The service was attentive, prompt and excellent in every way. We were there rather late on a Sunday evening and they were patient, classy and professional. An option to Esin and Bridges, and an excellent one at that.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I usually bring visitors and business colleagues to lunch at Amber Bistro. Their food is reliably good (though not out of this world), the price point is reasonable, and their service is always above average. In addition, they have a wonderful outdoor patio.