“Sinking Fast”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Unfortunately, Maria, Maria has hit a new low. The hostess tried to convince us that our reservation was for 15 minutes later than we made it as they were behind. Then, we waited about 10 minutes to have the waiter take drink orders. After getting our drinks, while the waiter was taking our food order, the chips and salsa man was so intent in getting the baskets of chips and salsa on the table that he kept leaning between the waiter and us, as well as dragging his sleeve across our drinks. He could have moved to the other side of the table. When our food came, the waiter actually served food by reaching across me to the next plate instead of going around! Sadly, we won't be coming back.

6  Thank travelbug4887

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I just don't get it. Everyone thinks this place is the best. Yes the bar scene is lively and they make a good margarita but after that our experience was poor. We dined on the patio on Thursday 5/10 around 7:00pm. The patio faceswest so it can be very hot in the summer. It also sits next to a major intersection and I-680 so it is noisey. It was a active night but not a big crowd by any means. I have seen it so busy that the wait is over an hour, not this night. We were seated without a reservation and without a wait. They were quick with the chips and salsa. The waitress only brought two glasses of water for three of us. She disappeared for 15 minutes then returned to take our drink order. We ordered a carafe of margaritas which serves four. It took another 15 -20 minutes to have the margaritas delivered to our table. Her excuse was that the bar was busy. We ordered fish tacos, chicken tacos and a chicken burrito. Again the wait was excessive. The presentation of the food was great. It was good but seemed extremely spicy and I like spicy so for me to comment on the degree of spicy it had to be very spicy. Overall, this place is over-rated unless you are looking for spicy food and poor service.

3  Thank RickMiller
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I have heard nothing but great things about Maria Maria, and was excited to go with some friends from work. It took me longer to circle the parking lot and find a spot than it did to drive there. I ended up on the other side of the lot next to a garden store, and by the time I returned to my car, it was extremely dark. Basically, the location, which shares a lot with a busy mall that has several other restaurants is pretty bad.

We were there for happy hour, so I was all set for some yummy treats. Sadly, the menu was lacking in diversity; we ended up getting the large assorted platters, The food was tepid by the time it got to our table, and the guacamole was kind of bland, while I found that the salsa was pretty spicy. Cocktails are about $10 each, and come in tiny glasses, so you may want to pool your resources and get pitchers. I don't like Sangria, but the gals at my table said that it was the best Sangria they'd ever had.

I found this "upscale" Mexican restaurant to be overated and probably won't be coming back.

3  Thank Tracy V
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Enjoyed the music and drinks but found the food to spicey and inconsistent

Reviewed March 18, 2012

I've been there a couple times lately ... This place has mixed reviews and I can understand why.

First off, the food. This is mostly upscale Mexican food, but, frankly, not all dishes are the same. They all look good and interesting, but, honestly, some were excellent and some still good but could have been done better. The same applies to the place, it could be loud and noisy and it doesn't look formal enough.

This is really a great place to go with a group or friends or colleagues, have some excellent margarita, share, some appetizers, talk and have a good time. This is really when this place shines. All the sudden everyone is relaxed, loose and enjoying time. Also, this is really not that expensive for this kind of food. But if you you want to go solo or have some formal dinner - the chances are you might get disappointed.