“Attitude, Attitude and More Attitude”
Review of Sideboard

Sideboard
Ranked #7 of 144 Restaurants in Danville
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Well, My Husband suggested that we try it, since we travel into Berkeley from San Ramon to eat every weekend. The problem being that there are very few, if any, organic, sustainable restaurants in this area. So, we parked the car and walked up to the deck, which is outside. The first thing that happened was a "attitude ridden teenager" informed me that I had to get in line if I wanted something to eat. It was said in such a fashion that indicated I should have known better. At first I couldn't believe it. I waited until she walked by again, and asked her how we would secure a table once we got our food. Her reply, "Well, if there's a table, then you'd get one, right?"
It was then I knew it was time to leave. Who, I mean, who in their right mind, would hang around here to be treated like something you scrap off your shoe. Unless, of course, you just had to say that you ate the infamous Sideboard in Danville. They should have their own reality show there.
Will not try this place ever again.

There are newer reviews for Sideboard

Reviewed October 15, 2012

You arrive in this smallish restaurant and join a queue to order. There is no system in allocating tables. Diners stand around in all the prominent places waiting to dash to the first table which becomes available. Some go to the counter and order and wait for a table, others bump the queue, claim a table and then order. It's a total shambles, just make sure you don't get trampled in the stampede.
As to the meal, no chicken breast available so chicken salad was a no no. One of our drinking glasses was cracked. Food was ok but the stress of the occasion made us wish we had eaten elsewhere.

1  Thank redhand
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We chose this one evening after just getting into town. We were tired, hungry, just a wee bit grouchy and road-weary. This place was crowded and seemed under-staffed, so I was not eager to try it, but my friends prevailed, and, boy, am I glad! We we're met with friendly and responsive service, staff that were willing to tell you What they liked that day and make recommendations. We "squatted" until a table was available (maybe 0 minutes), then relaxed nd waited for our very good food to arrive: crisp, succulent salads; beautiful, crusty breads; chicken salad to die for, full of tender chicken chunks and lots of flavorful fruit. We re all well-satisfied, not always an easy task with this group.

2  Thank Lin H
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Cute cozy spot. Indoor and outdoor seating. Fried Brussels sprouts are the BEST! The mac &cheese is also very good. The pecan salad was tasty too. This is a fun and yummy place to go.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have watched this place slide for the past couple of years, not that it was ever great. It's order at the counter, so if you don't like the service or the food, you've already paid - too bad. Stand in line to have the self important teenager manning it give you attitude. I had without a doubt the absolute worst restaurant experience I have ever had in my life - anywhere in the world or around the U.S. - at this restaurant last night. When I tried to express my anger and frustration to the arrogant, entitled and condescending owner, she feigned an apologetic stance [completely and obviously insincere] and the interaction deteriorated from there. She actually bent down in my face and told me I had a black soul and was an evil person. Because I didn't like being treated like crap in her little cafe and let it be known???? Any quality restauranteur would have understood a disastrous situation, asked sincerely what they could do to make it better, and handled it professionally to get me out of there quietly. Instead, I felt like I was in "Real Housewives of Danville". Hissy fit. I informed her I'd be publishing a bad review on Yelp, and she told me to go ahead, because Yelp loved them and they'd take my bad review down right away. Really? Maybe Trip Advisor is a more trustworthy source. This place will probably continue to do well because of its prime downtown Danville location, but not because of quality or friendliness. I'd strongly suggest Chow a couple of blocks away, Mangia Mi across the street, or any number of other better spots where they actually show courtesy and respect to their customers.

1  Thank Kathy047